• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Noticed the ticket barriers at Birmingham New Street at 5pm on Friday last week were left open! I can imagine a lot of free travel!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Trip towards Weymouth today (plus a jolly up the Heart of Wessex line)
SWR was 2/6 checked
GWR was 3/3 checked [even Upwey to Weymouth!]

Weymouth is one of those stations which should get barriered, looked like there was a few pay when challenged youngsters alighting from the train at Dorchester, from right at the front.

1D54

17:00 Sheffield to St Pancras was fully inspected before departure with the guard telling everyone prior to doing it that Revenue Protection are in the area and to make sure that if you are on a booked train it is the correct one. Comical really as there was a member of the Sheffield Wed youth team who was travelling to London with the incorrect ticket and after telling him he could charge him £100 for a new one he then lets him off! We'd not even departed Sheffield so it was never going to happen.

Wolfie

Established Member
17:00 Sheffield to St Pancras was fully inspected before departure with the guard telling everyone prior to doing it that Revenue Protection are in the area and to make sure that if you are on a booked train it is the correct one. Comical really as there was a member of the Sheffield Wed youth team who was travelling to London with the incorrect ticket and after telling him he could charge him £100 for a new one he then lets him off! We'd not even departed Sheffield so it was never going to happen.
Perhaps the guard was a SheffWed fan? Or youth team - presumably that means a teenager - duty of care issues?

Chriso

I noticed last night that the EMR barriers at St Pancras were fully staffed but there was a separate manual check at the platform 1 entrance by the guard and another staff member possibly RPI for the 22:00 Nottingham.

I was also surprised to see Lutons gateline operational at 21.30 although I felt for the 1 member of staff working it who seemed to have a lot to deal with

317 forever

Established Member
I've never got a QR code to work! Were rover/day ranger tickets though.
As the ticket gate at Manchester Piccadilly did not recognise my Bus & Train Day Ranger yesterday, when I inserted it, a member of staff let me out. My ticket was later checked on my Horwich Parkway - Manchester Victoria train. The ticket gate did work there at least.

route101

Established Member
As the ticket gate at Manchester Piccadilly did not recognise my Bus & Train Day Ranger yesterday, when I inserted it, a member of staff let me out. My ticket was later checked on my Horwich Parkway - Manchester Victoria train. The ticket gate did work there at least.
I wonder if its the Day rangers on them tickets that never work.

spark001uk

Established Member
Rangers/Rovers are very hit & miss when it comes to working barriers, some are better than others (i.e. Devon Day Ranger at Plymouth).
I believe rovers/rangers were originally programmed to reject, from when it was all paper tickets, in order that staff could ensure date boxes were filled in.

route101

Established Member
Despite Scotrail starting ticket checks today, did not get my tickets checked on the four trains I was on today.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Still not had any checks on Chiltern since early last year after Leamington-Birmingham and back on them yesterday. As for Cross Country, a full check in standard class out of New Street towards Bristol yesterday but nothing on my return from Bristol in 1st class so still hit and miss.

Butts

Veteran Member
No ticket check on my journey from Falkirk to Haymarket this evening.

Thought Scotrail had restarted checks ?

Will have to see what happens on the return journey tomorrow morning.

Butts

Veteran Member
No ticket check on my journey from Falkirk to Haymarket this evening.

Thought Scotrail had restarted checks ?

Will have to see what happens on the return journey tomorrow morning.
Surprise ..... no check this Morning and the barrier was open on entry to Haymarket.

Ticket to ride - for free !!

davews

Only the other day I said that I had never had my ticket checked at all in the last year. On today's trip (Martins Heron to Richmond) it was checked on both out and return. Looks like they are clamping down.

Big Tim

Enjoying my first journey of 2021, LNER York - Dundee departed 1155, ticket check before Darlington

Set swap at Newcastle owing to a technical issue with the previous train. Been no further checks as yet (currently somewhere north of Morpeth now on the coast)

greyman42

Established Member
Enjoying my first journey of 2021, LNER York - Dundee departed 1155, ticket check before Darlington

Set swap at Newcastle owing to a technical issue with the previous train. Been no further checks as yet (currently somewhere north of Morpeth now on the coast)
Perhaps the ticket check was done due to York not having any barriers.

route101

Established Member
Surprise ..... no check this Morning and the barrier was open on entry to Haymarket.

Ticket to ride - for free !!
4 Scotrail trains I was on in Tuesday, no checks.

Off to Newcastle via Edinburgh tomorrow so I wonder if any checks.

route101

Established Member
Tweedbank- Waverley on Thursday tickets checked and fares being taken in both coaches. Return was busier and no checks seen in front coach of train.
No checks apart from manned gateline to and from Tweedbank yesterday.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Only check yesterday was on the London train from home, checked around Overton area.

Barriers were open at Dorking (main) around 9am, but closed around 13:30. Barrier staff at Guildford just opened the barrier up when they saw me approaching with a ticket in hand (could have used any ticket!)

paepo

Sounds like they were just trying to put the frighteners on all the Neds taking advantage of their year long hiatus in revenue collection.
No, checks/sales only carried out by TE/Conductors who have received 1 to 1 training on new equipment for ticket sales and only to be carried out if deemed by the TE/Conductor that it is "safe to do so". If service is too busy to allow social distancing when passing through the train then no checks/sales will be done. Cash not accepted in first few weeks at least and advice as always is buy before you board wherever it's possible.

*Edited due to typo.

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Yesterday:
  • EMR Derby-Sheffield: sat in first, chatted to train manager, no request to see ticket
  • Northern Sheffield-Meadowhall (Hull service): ticket checked immediately leaving Sheffield
  • TPE Meadowhall-Cleethorpes: no ticket checks
  • TPE Cleethorpes-Doncaster: no ticket checks
  • Northern Doncaster-Sheffield (Hull service): no ticket checks
  • EMR Sheffield-Derby: sat in first, ticket checked before departure, train so well loaded social distancing not possible in standard, train manager announced a full ticket inspection would take place after Leicester and revenue protection staff were on board from Sheffield
Barriers active at Derby both ways - no other barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.