• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday, checked on the first SWR service, nothing on the 2nd service. Nothing on XC or LNwR either, everything else was DOO.

Barriers wide open at Battersea Park station and on the footbridge at Paddington [the ones at the concourse end were closed].

Today checked on the SWR towards Salisbury (even checked the railcard), but nothing on GWR, XC or the 2nd SWR.

Chriso

Today lots of SWR and GWR empty trains with the guards noticeably absent and although few pax lots of evident fare evasion

to be honest it’s so easy to bunk the trains at the mo I don’t blame them

three cases of I need a ticket at the barrier witnessed at Redhill and Aldershot and all three spent a few secs on the machine and walked out lol. It is actually getting comical

plymothian

Today lots of SWR and GWR empty trains with the guards noticeably absent and although few pax lots of evident fare evasion

to be honest it’s so easy to bunk the trains at the mo I don’t blame them

three cases of I need a ticket at the barrier witnessed at Redhill and Aldershot and all three spent a few secs on the machine and walked out lol. It is actually getting comical

If you're travelling in the North Downs area, the GWR guards at Redhill are being denied access to revenue equipment by Southern as they run the ticket office and that's where the machines are stored.

Chriso

If you're travelling in the North Downs area, the GWR guards at Redhill are being denied access to revenue equipment by Southern as they run the ticket office and that's where the machines are stored.

this just makes my comical comment even more relevant.

50002Superb

Today I traveled:

Barton on Humber to Cleethorpes
Cleethorpes to Barton on Humber
Doncaster to Leeds
Leeds to Wakefield Westgate
Wakefield Westgate to Doncaster

At no point did I have to go through a ticket barrier or have my tickets checked.

HST274

Ticket checked on 1656 University to Hereford. Person near me had purchased a ticket after departure and the guard reprimanded him and said they were cracking down on it, but no fine/penalty.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nothing on the SWR towards Basingstoke this morning, checked on the GWR service (before the first station call). Checked on a 755 from Stansted towards Cambridge (before the train had reached the mainline) but not on the way back to Stansted.

Had a couple RPI checks as well, one reminded me that my Railcard was due to expire in the next few weeks. They caught at least one passenger out who didn't have a ticket.

Chriso

Witnessed a LU/BTP revenue block on the Paddington (Main circle/District) gateline last night at 6pm but they had all gone again by 7pm. Lots of undercover & staffed RPi’s

50002Superb

Friday 3 December

Nottingham to LSP (and return)

Due to the timetable changes the 222s were working in tandem and standard class was quite busy with many people trying to sit in first with standard tickets.

Fair play to the guards in First who were checking tickets at every stop and moving people on although some of the public were less than cooperative

Chriso

I did London Kings X to Stevenage LNER yday and had a full check. Then Stevenage to Hitchin (both gatelines working with lots of staff). I then travelled Hitchin to Cambridge and backdown the West Anglia to London Liv St. only one bloke on the Cambridge gateline who left the wide gate but gates @ Liverpool Street we’re fully operational around 10pm

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wonder if checking will now take a back step again

I would imagine some guards will go back to hiding in the back/middle cab and only doing the doors without stepping foot into the passenger area [only as a last resort if someone arrives at a station needing a ramp deployed]

ScotGG

Established Member
Could well be. If cases keep rising TOCs may enforce it before long

LowLevel

Established Member
I would imagine some guards will go back to hiding in the back/middle cab and only doing the doors without stepping foot into the passenger area [only as a last resort if someone arrives at a station needing a ramp deployed]
Some haven't stopped hiding. Possibly for the last 10 years or more :lol:

I have no intention of reducing my gripping.

DDB

I was on an EMR local and there were two people checking. I think one guard and one revenue protection. The person opposite me had one of the smartcard with the new Flexi season that we are being encouraged to get. Neither checker had ever seen one before or knew how to check it. Shows how well they've been selling!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I went from a suburban station in London to Walsall and back last weekend, on the way out via Stratford (upon Avon) and the only check I had was on the gateline at Birmingham (Snow Hill), where my ticket was rejected by the gateline and subject to a manual inspection.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I travelled LNER from Newark Northgate to Durham yesterday morning, did a Northern trip from Redcar Central to Darlington, and then from Darlington back to Newark on LNER, no ticket checks on any journey (and no gates to encounter).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday - Nothing on both SWR services, nor the Avanti service
Barriers at Euston were open when I got there (would have been around 19:50) but closed when I came back.

Saturday - Northern only a couple checks out of 8 services [although for some I was in the front unit of a pair of ungangway units]
Barriers at Stockport wide open by 4pm and Piccadilly around a similar time (Revenue Staff manually checking tickets for the platforms lacking barriers). Manchester Victoria was in use both ways

Sunday - No check on TPE this morning, checked on Northern to Doncaster, not checked on the LNER to London, but checked on the SWR service.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Bought an SPT Roundabout ticket last Friday and travelled on a total of 14 services, if I recall correctly. Ticket was checked on 4 of those services, but barriers were in operation all the time at both Central and Queen Street.

Chriso

On Saturday I caught the 15:14 EMR St Pancras to Bedford. Full check by guard in rear 4 coaches between St Pancras and Luton Airport Pkwy. Gates working at St Pancras EMR and Bedford. On return caught Thameslink with gates working at Bedford, Luton and St Pancras Low Level.
My Dad reported a check on Thameslink on Tuesday 15/12 between Flitwick and Luton so TLGN revenue must be still working which is good

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Did Birmingham to Preston on Avanti on Wednesday, no ticket check, did have a check on Northern towards Manchester Piccadilly, then coming home with XC via Birmingham no ticket check anywhere.

Last week caught the 20:12 Birmingham to Plymouth, which is only a 4 car set (splits at Birmingham from Edinburgh) and is usually very busy, TM was doing his best but couldn't get round to everyone before we got to Cheltenham.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday, nothing on both SWR services used, nor on the London Northwestern service to/from Watford Junction. Barriers open at Euston at 9pm.

Saturday, only one check on the guarded GA services (out of 5), no check on SWR. EMR from Peterborough to Ely was F&S so unsurprisingly no check.

Barriers open at both London Bridge & Waterloo East (Around 8pm)

londonbridge

Established Member
Saturday 18th, Ipswich-Liverpool street, no onboard check, nor between Clapham junction n Eastleigh yesterday.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Wednesday, no checks on all 3 SWR services used, everything else used was DOO.
Barriers at Waterloo East open at 8pm

Chriso

Tc by guard on Waterloo - Woking today. Gripped all 8 coaches too. Gates working at Waterloo and Woking

Ken H

On Moderation
Skipton -Bradford FS train yesterday. Gate at skipton and bradford, and visual check by train guard. But that's normal for that line TBH

Class800

Established Member
Yesterday LNER London Kings Cross to York 11.06, full inspection by Stevenage, and LNER 21.19 York to London Kings Cross, full inspection on departure from York (and dealt with a silly itinerary very well, recommending a better option). No inspections on DOO connecting trains

Kite159

Veteran Member
Monday & Wednesday - nothing at all.
Friday - checked on the way to London, nothing else
Today - checked on the first SWR used, nothing on the second. Checked on both SWR used to get home.

woolos

Yesterday travel on tfw Ebbw vale to cardiff no ticket check but guard announce he will not be checking ticket so buy ticket in catdiff .cardiff to Barry ticket ticket check.. cardiff to ebbw vale ticket was check before leaving on train by barrier staff

Status
Not open for further replies.