• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Checks in both directions from New Street to International in Avanti 1st today, by catering crew on the outward (before giving food/drink) and by an RPI on the return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chriso

Checks in both directions from New Street to International in Avanti 1st today, by catering crew on the outward (before giving food/drink) and by an RPI on the return.

That is extremely rare at the best of times

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I didn't know catering crew were allowed/supposed/trained to do revenue duties.

route101

Established Member

Carlisle or even Preston up to Glasgow on avanti and Virgin was rare to get a ticket check.

Glasgow to Edinburgh yesterday, no check on either services.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I know, very much surprised me.

I didn't know catering crew were allowed/supposed/trained to do revenue duties.
I don't think they are, he just wanted to check my ticket was 1st before offering complimentary stuff - not complaining though because it meant I got food between NS and Intl

dr140

Just had a ticket check on LNER leaving Newcastle going south. Was nothing between Edinburgh and Newcastle though. Lots of "lost" railcards...

Chriso

Full ticket check on yesterday’s GWR 16:47 Fareham - Southampton Ctl. Gates working at all SWR stations I used/passed through and Chichester on Southern but nothing onboard

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was on three South Eastern train services (two High Speed) and one GWR IET service today and no checks in any of them.

greyman42

Established Member
I did a York- London return on Friday 25 September. No checks on the outward journey but barriers operating at Kings Cross. There was a ticket check on my return journey (2200 to York). This is my first ticket check on LNER since lockdown.

Big Tim

First "on board" ticket check since mid March for me. XC service, boarded at York 1544, tickets inspected before 1550!

Barnsley

Did the Cally sleeper last night, contractors on the platform, I said Inverness, they said find your coach, on they 1614 from Elgin to Inverness, no checks, same on the 1002 Inverness to Elgin!

Pete 1981

Travelled from Stockport to Reading and back this week, 8 split tickets and only required the ones to open barriers nothing on the train.

spark001uk

Established Member
I'm wondering whether this second wave of covid that's gathering pace will cause TOCs to restrict on board checks again (or to carry on as they are if they haven't started)?

CHESHIRECAT

Full check with ticket machine Crewe to Manchester Northern today..complete with roll of black and yellow tape on his neckband!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Revenue protection team on one of my trains today, first time someone has checked my ticket on a train since March!

APT618S

A first for me since the virus started was having a ticket check twice on the same train. This was on XC today, before and after a crew change.

SteveM70

Established Member
Nine journeys so far on my little break up to Scotland and no ticket checks yet (other than barriers at main stations)

Hebden Bridge - Preston
Preston - Glasgow
Glasgow - Tulloch
Glenfinnan - Glasgow
Glasgow - Largs
Largs - Ardrossan South Beach
Ardrossan Harbour - Glasgow
Glasgow - Stirling
Stirling - Glasgow

peteb

WM trains New Street Worcester and Snow Hill Worcester lines and Cross Country Nottingham to Cardiff; no checks onboard. FGW Cotswolds line conductor doing ticket checks. Barrier checks at all Birmingham stations.

Chriso

Good trip on the network today travelled in to Marylebone where gates where working with an undercover rpi observing the gates for any tailgaters. 14:30 Waterloo - Guildford full ticket check by a very efficient guard in the whole 2 x 444 consist with gates working @ Waterloo and Guildford. Then took 15:53 Guildford to Aldershot with gates working both ends. I then took the 16:30 Aldershot to Ascot and on to Staines with gates working both ends. Gates also fully working at Virginia Water and Egham. Then travelled on the 18:08 Staines to Vauxhall with gates working both ends.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
So far today Gate in operation at New Street, and ticket checks on XC to Bristol and GWR on the Weymouth service.

Status
Not open for further replies.