• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Leamington to Bristol and back today (changing in Birmingham), no on train checks but barriers at Moor Street in operation in both directions, at Temple Meads in both directions and in New Street in the morning (to be expected regarding barriers really).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No check on Avanti both up or down between London and Birmingham N St yesterday, surprisingly for them

The sarky scrum at Euston were, unfortunately, very much still there. One day hopefully they’ll move to more... internal roles at Avanti, where they won’t have to deal with the customers they obviously dislike (and vice versa). Perhaps in an office.

Butts

Veteran Member
Sunday XC Bristol Temple Meads to Birmingham New Street 1st Class....

No Ticket Checks...

No 1st Class Free Refreshments...

Even more annoying 27 late into New Street, another three minutes and I would have got £40 back !!!

DDB

It is now standard to have ticket checks on my commute on EMR services in both directions. We even had a revenue protection inspector the other day.

BJames

Established Member
I have still not had my ticket checked by a person since March. Barriers have been operating most places but physical checks so far have not materialised. Not that I travel every day - but have done enough including on EMR and LNER and although both are reportedly checking the guard's on mine have not done a ticket check.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sunday XC Bristol Temple Meads to Birmingham New Street 1st Class....

No Ticket Checks...

No 1st Class Free Refreshments...

Even more annoying 27 late into New Street, another three minutes and I would have got £40 back !!!

Can't you reclaim something for 15 minutes' delay on XC?

peteb

Kidderminster to Bedford on Tuesday. Staff manning gates at Birmingham New St, Milton Keynes Central and Bletchley. The only on train checks were on the Marston Vale trains.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm guessing with the second lockdown now happening that a change in revenue practises may take place again to be more similar to the previous lockdown?

Chriso

I travelled West Ruislip to Birmingham Friday with no checks on Chiltern but did have a TC by a group of 4 West Midlands Railway RPI’s on the 14:40 Moor St - Tyseley. Gates working at Snow Hill (both main and underpass) & Coventry but Moor St and New St had the usual and ridiculous situation of main gatelines working but smaller ones open (Moor St plat 1 and New St Navigation and Hill Street gates open all afternoon/evening)

still no gates installed at Wolverhampton

Butts

Veteran Member
Scotrail Guard had erected their infamous "hazard tape" barrier at the end of the carriage this morning to cocoon himself from the passengers so no ticket checks.

They really should be ashamed of themselves when you compare it to flying at the moment or even shopping in a Supermarket.

route101

Established Member
TPE 0906 from Glasgow Central , ticket check. Only TPE so far since march.

None on Avanti, realised it was TPE only return I used too so lucky in that regard back up from Carlisle.

route101

Established Member
TPE 0906 from Glasgow Central , ticket check. Only TPE so far since march.

None on Avanti, realised it was TPE only return I used too so lucky in that regard back up from Carlisle.

Chriso

Full ticket check by guard on the 09:06 Kings X to York between Kings X and Stevenage

Kings X gateline in operation but did notice a bank of exit gates in the open position

Chriso

Ticket check on the 14:35 Sheffield - Barnsley and 16:00 return Northern services. Manual ticket barrier staffed at Sheffield station by 3 x East Midlands RPI(entrance only) but no staff by tram entrance. Northern rpi x4 at Meadowhall plat 3 checking pax leaving trains but not boarding or any other platforms

Chriso

No ticket check on on 12:03 Doncaster - Sheffield stopper or 17:57 Sheffield - Doncaster fast . Conductors on Supertram awesome as always checking tickets properly

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yesterday, no ticket check on the following:

Stockport to Altrincham (bought a return from Manchester as it's the same price but said ticket does allow breaks in the journey) so worked fine in the barriers

Altrincham back to Stockport

Stockport to Macclesfield

Macclesfield to Stockport (bought a separate off-peak return for these)

Stockport to Heaton Chapel

So no checks at all yesterday and only my origin station had barriers!

Chriso

Ticket check by 2 x RPI on the 12:02 London Paddington to Reading. All gatelines at Paddington in operation

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Isn't that what ticket barriers do?
If you have a train load of people get off one that last stopped in Stirling then manual checks will expose anyone with a High Street-Queen Street ticket for the gateline

route101

Established Member
If you have a train load of people get off one that last stopped in Stirling then manual checks will expose anyone with a High Street-Queen Street ticket for the gateline

I think thats why there is not a TVM at High St so people cant buy a Edinburgh Park or Haymarket to Waverley ticket.

Manual checks will be checking for child tickets and railcards.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think thats why there is not a TVM at High St so people cant buy a Edinburgh Park or Haymarket to Waverley ticket.

Manual checks will be checking for child tickets and railcards.
Interesting, you can (On Cubic gatelines anyway) set a rule to reject tickets from certain locations such as High Street or Child/Railcard tickets.

Chriso

Ticket check by 2 x RPI on the 12:02 London Paddington to Reading. All gatelines at Paddington in operation

In addition to this I travelled further from my meeting to Oxford. Gatelines all fully working at Oxford, Didcot Pkwy and Reading and a full ticket check by a guard on the 15:07 Oxford to Didcot Pkwy turbo stopper.

Chriso

Ticket check on the 13:30 London St Pancras to Corby today between London St Pancras and Luton. Gates working St Pancras high level (EMR) and Luton.

Status
Not open for further replies.