• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriso

I was talking to a Southern guard on the West Coast who advised revenue on GTR will not resume until guards and RPI, OBS staff have been re-trained as it has been so long. I wouldn’t expect to see any onboard checks on these trains in a while

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was talking to a Southern guard on the West Coast who advised revenue on GTR will not resume until guards and RPI, OBS staff have been re-trained as it has been so long. I wouldn’t expect to see any onboard checks on these trains in a while

They're already doing penalty fares and MG11s in some locations and on trains. At Hatfield they've got a booth with a protective screen to allow staff to do them at the gateline.

LowLevel

Established Member
Meanwhile I'm sent off with my bottle of hand sanitiser, a surgical mask and my ticket machine to do battle on my busy little trains :lol: I think some injection of the reality is required in some parts of our industry. Why is it safe for me to do it but not elsewhere?

RPI

Established Member
Meanwhile I'm sent off with my bottle of hand sanitiser, a surgical mask and my ticket machine to do battle on my busy little trains :lol: I think some injection of the reality is required in some parts of our industry. Why is it safe for me to do it but not elsewhere?
Likewise, we've been back on trains since last August and if I'm honest I dont feel unsafe, absolutely no pressure from the company either, the difference is its kept a degree of order on the trains and makes the normal passengers feel safer too

LowLevel

Established Member
Likewise, we've been back on trains since last August and if I'm honest I dont feel unsafe, absolutely no pressure from the company either, the difference is its kept a degree of order on the trains and makes the normal passengers feel safer too
Agreed entirely - apart from the last week or two where drink has taken it's toll on those not used to it things have been far better when we've been out doing tickets. It takes a week or two to get back on top of it and then it's fine.

skyhigh

Established Member
I agree, I don't feel unsafe doing tickets. It felt wrong not doing them, and I quite enjoy the interactions with passengers! I think it generally makes passengers feel safer too.

RPI

Established Member
Only one train I've felt a bit apprehensive on Saturday, the train was relatively quiet then we arrived into Lympstone Commando and over 100 marines boarded, by the time I looked up I was surrounded so I still checked and sold them all tickets, I was stuck there no matter what lol

zero

I rode the Harwich branch on GA and the guards announced something along the lines of "due to social distancing I will not be passing through the train" even though there were only 5 passengers out and 15 back.

bramling

Veteran Member
They're already doing penalty fares and MG11s in some locations and on trains. At Hatfield they've got a booth with a protective screen to allow staff to do them at the gateline.

I can understand on-train staff (ie guards) potentially lapsing, however I can’t see how it would be the case for revenue staff given, as you say, there’s been a revenue presence at stations for most or all of the last year.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I did loads of journeys in Scotland over 5 days before today, and only had one on board check the entire time!

Established Member
I can understand on-train staff (ie guards) potentially lapsing, however I can’t see how it would be the case for revenue staff given, as you say, there’s been a revenue presence at stations for most or all of the last year.
I know a few TOCs have taken the opportunity to update and replace their Mobile Ticket machines. So I can see the need for staff to be trained on said new machines.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I rode the Harwich branch on GA and the guards announced something along the lines of "due to social distancing I will not be passing through the train" even though there were only 5 passengers out and 15 back.
That's interesting because I was out and about on multiple GA trains today on the main line and three of the routes radiating from Ipswich ( Felixstowe, Lowestoft and Cambridge ) and had a ticket check on every single train.

father_jack

Only one train I've felt a bit apprehensive on Saturday, the train was relatively quiet then we arrived into Lympstone Commando and over 100 marines boarded, by the time I looked up I was surrounded so I still checked and sold them all tickets, I was stuck there no matter what lol
An old Bristol TM guard told me a tale once, a throng of navy lads all piled on at Weymouth to go north for Christmas shore leave, guard tried to do tickets, they threw his sportis out the window in the middle of nowhere !!! After an unsuccessful hunt in the bushes the guard got the driver to send a message from a crossing ahead to Yeovil where the bobby got the MPs from Yeovilton to meet the train. Nobody would admit to throwing the machine out the window so the sergeant major or whoever who was in charge cancelled the shore leave for the whole train !!!

james60059

When I went down to London a couple of weeks ago on the 17th April from Nuneaton, tickets were checked within 10 minutes of leaving Nuneaton. Likewise, return from London Euston, ticket checks commenced just after departing.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Scotrail have definitely restarted revenue:
Inverness-Dingwall yesterday morning had no check
Dingwall-Inverness yesterday afternoon had ticket checks taking place from every station
Inverness-Aberdeen this morning, full check out of Inverness and 'tickets from X' after every station

Chriso

When I went down to London a couple of weeks ago on the 17th April from Nuneaton, tickets were checked within 10 minutes of leaving Nuneaton. Likewise, return from London Euston, ticket checks commenced just after departing.

Was this with Avanti or London North Western?. Thx

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Scotrail have definitely restarted revenue:
Inverness-Dingwall yesterday morning had no check
Dingwall-Inverness yesterday afternoon had ticket checks taking place from every station
Inverness-Aberdeen this morning, full check out of Inverness and 'tickets from X' after every station

My ticket was checked on a morning Glasgow Q St to Edinburgh service yesterday morning (Tuesday) but prior to that I think my ticket was only checked once or twice on several Scotrail services that I travelled on over the weekend.

Chriso

Sorry, meant to say Avanti (06:59 dep from Nuneaton, 20:20 return from Euston).

No worries at all thanks for the response. I thought it extremely unlikely you were using London North Western with such a proactive revenue experience

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No worries at all thanks for the response. I thought it extremely unlikely you were using London North Western with such a proactive revenue experience
It doesn't appear that WMT have recommenced revenue operations yet, which is a little surprising.

Butts

Veteran Member
First Scotrail check this week and well over a Year !!!

0624 Haymarket to Falkirk Grahamston bought a ticket with my Senior Railcard onboard.

Looks like they have finally come out of retirement and hiding in the end section with piles of tape to prevent contact.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
On Friday 23rd of April there were various checks on Northern though being in the front 331 of a booked 6-car usually avoided this. Not that I was evading anybody or anything with my Greater Manchester rail ranger.

zero

I travelled on the Skegness branch yesterday and the guards stayed in their cabin all the time with a "crew door only" sign at the last door. Leaving Nottingham a few seconds before the doors were to be closed 2 young men smelling of weed ran on board, and the guard walked through the train to berate them for not wearing masks. During the journey the guard kept making announcements about not hanging masks on your chin and to keep it on until getting off the train.

Killingworth

Established Member
Yesterday EMR Dore to Ely checked twice. XC Ely to Leicester checked. EMR Leicester to Sheffield checked. Northern Sheffield to Dore not checked, which was par for that journey 9 times out of 10 pre Covid.

gray1404

Established Member
Last Friday I had my ticket checked on leaving Liverpool Lime Street by two LNR RPIs recently. They worked the whole train after each station until Crewe.

The same 2 RPIs checked my ticket on a Trent Valley service upon leaving Tamworth last Tuesday. They stayed on until Stafford and they boarded the neat LNR South back towards Euston. That same Euston to Crewe service had a RPI check by two different RPIs on leaving Euston who stayed on until MKC. I saw that same 2 RPIs later on that day at Stafford. So LNR seem to be making full use of their Crewe based RPIs at the moment and targeting the Trent Valley services with both their Crewe and Euston based RPIs.

The amount of ticketless travel on the Trent Valley always amazes me. Even when LNR guards are carrying out ticket checks, they always seem to be selling tickets from intermediate stations despite the fact its possible to buy tickets at most of the stations (if not all).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Both ways on SWR today, nothing on LNR (Abbey Line) [and looked like the barriers at Watford Junction were wide open].

The Abbey Line is the sort where if they employed a secondary member of staff whose job it was to check tickets, then they will probably pay for themselves.

LowLevel

Established Member
Both ways on SWR today, nothing on LNR (Abbey Line) [and looked like the barriers at Watford Junction were wide open].

The Abbey Line is the sort where if they employed a secondary member of staff whose job it was to check tickets, then they will probably pay for themselves.

The Abbey line is an odd route in terms of it's manning. It was basically grouped with the Watford DC lines and was operated DOO-P with class 313s by Silverlink Metro. It didn't transfer to TfL so ended up with London Midland who had to operate it with 321s and then 319s, the DOO-P equipment only being set up for 3 car trains meant they ended up using the small depot of conductors at Watford to work the line conventionally as an easy solution. However they can only work from the rear of a 4 car train making revenue protection difficult to say the list so I don't think they tend to bother.

There's proposals every few years to convert it to light rail I think.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Abbey line is an odd route in terms of it's manning. It was basically grouped with the Watford DC lines and was operated DOO-P with class 313s by Silverlink Metro. It didn't transfer to TfL so ended up with London Midland who had to operate it with 321s and then 319s, the DOO-P equipment only being set up for 3 car trains meant they ended up using the small depot of conductors at Watford to work the line conventionally as an easy solution. However they can only work from the rear of a 4 car train making revenue protection difficult to say the list so I don't think they tend to bother.

There's proposals every few years to convert it to light rail I think.

Unlike Northern which fitted door release buttons in the passenger area, I don't believe London Midland did when they took on the 319s to replace the 321s, so the guard has to stay in the back to do the doors, and with station stops quite close together they pretty much are tied to the back cab.

A 'rural' backwater of a line.

Chriso

When I was younger and the line was operated by Silverlink with a 313 and later 321 there was always a guard plus rpi/ticket examiner. This continued until London Midland took over and got rid of the second staff member off peak. Pre Covid there was still an additional RPI/ticket examiner working with the guard until late morning/midday I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.