• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hayle Wharves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

The title may well lure the curious to this thread. I can just remember trains running down Hayle Wharves to what was the power station in Hayle. It's a very blurred memory. The connection was broken late 1960's/early 1970's and the branch totally closed in the 1980's. There has been many attempts to re-develop the West Hayle area which is a vitally important area of our nations industrial heritage. Many beam engines for the tin and coal mines were built in Hayle and shipped from harbour in the early to mid 19th century. In fact I believe that some of London's sewerage is still pumped by beam engines made in Hayle.

Hayle town has changed a lot since the 1980's. Traffic through the town was much reduced by the building of the A-30 by-pass around the south of the town. A tremdous amount of road traffic was diverted away from the town and living conditions increased. However business declined. A new(ish) shopping centre including a medium sized M&S caused many local shops to close.
Now, the town is looking to re-generate in the west and the new bridge at Hayle Wharves and the subsequent removal of the rail swing bridge will end the small but very significant rail connection in the far west of Hayle. BBC Cornwall has this stop frame film to show the cementing of the new bridge - to the left of the film you can see the old bridge which served for over a century rail traffic. Watch this film with a smile. Thank you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17589938

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Hayle Railway opened in 1837 and became part of the West Cornwall Railway. The Hayle Wharves branch actually closed in 1983.

The line was visited by a most extensive railtour on 14th July 1963... "The Cornish Rail Tour" ... that was organised by The Railway Enthusiasts Club, which started at Penzance at 0850, stayed at Hayle Wharves from 0947 till 0955 and finally arrived at Plymouth (after making numerous branch visits) at 1835.

stockport1

my other house is in hayle.
Not been since november.
Is this bridge being built at between philips famous pasties on the bend and the petrol station a bit furthur on?
the road to the beach that way is very bumpy.

i think id rather see the rail viaduct refurbished :)

bailey65

There used to be 08,25 and 37's working the occasional trains to the wharves if i remember rightly i think it was a very steep gradient up to the main line.

richw

Veteran Member
my other house is in hayle.
Not been since november.
Is this bridge being built at between philips famous pasties on the bend and the petrol station a bit furthur on?
the road to the beach that way is very bumpy.

i think id rather see the rail viaduct refurbished :)

Yes it is on the corner by Philps, Been roadworks there all winter causing temporary traffic lights on the main road, and making it near impossible getting in and out of Philps, so we have been using the Philps down at Foundry Square.

ACE1888

Did a photographic 'survey' down the branch last year on a sunny Cornish day, page 16 of my collection on 'Railway Forum' Gallery (see link below)

brillopad

I remember the ICI plant down there that extracted Bromine from the seawater - used for making anti-knock additive for piston engined aircraft and later cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.