• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Haymarket to Wainfleet Problems (Zero Excess & Delay Repay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
If someone could make sure that this e-mail to Mike Ross is appropriate, that would be much appreciated.

Me said:
On the 9th of February 2019 I made a journey from Haymarket to Boston using two tickets: an Advance Single from Haymarket to Grantham, and an Off Peak Day Return from Grantham to Thorpe Culvert. (More details can be found in my original e-mail, which I believe you have access to on your system. If not, I am happy to forward the correspondance I have had with the Customer Relations department.)

The responses from Customer Relations have been that LNER does not provide delay repay compensation for split-ticket single journies, even though I have provided explanations as to why rejecting compensation is not valid in this case. One response incorrectly cited the National Rail Conditions of Travel section 14.1 as grounds to deny delay repay compensation in this case.

Therefore, I have two requests.
1: LNER reviews my claim for compensation and pays out the appropriate amount based on the delay that I experienced on my journey from Haymarket to Boston.
2: That training provided to the staff who are supposed to deal with compensation claims have the knowledge with which to deal accurately with them, without the need for the compensation claim to be raised higher up the chain. This is just one example of many where LNER have incorrectly rejected valid compensation claims when a customer has used more than one ticket to complete their journey. It would be much more efficient for all parties if staff members were trained fully.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Esker-pades

Established Member
Update:

I got an e-mail from Mike Ross saying that he apologised for being away and would respond within 7 working days.
That was 8 working days ago.

(Just as a contrast, I claimed for a journey I made on Scotrail, and they processed and raised the amount due within 15 minutes.)

_toommm_

Established Member
Update:

I got an e-mail from Mike Ross saying that he apologised for being away and would respond within 7 working days.
That was 8 working days ago.

(Just as a contrast, I claimed for a journey I made on Scotrail, and they processed and raised the amount due within 15 minutes.)

ScotRail are unusually good - for all the slack they've been getting, probably resulting in a high volume of claims, I was shocked at how quick they respond!

Esker-pades

Established Member
One month later:

I've sent a couple of follow-up e-mails to Mike Ross. They have all been responded to within a few hours with something like "my apologies for the delay", but I am yet to have a conclusion.

At what point do I give up with LNER and to a third party?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
That's quite interesting that Mike Ross is somewhat taking a while to get back with an answer. I too have fell foul to LNER's Customer Service (It was still VTEC then).

I was delayed by an hour getting into King's Cross from Glasgow Central, and Customer Service rejected Delay Repay twice. An email into Mike Ross and a couple of days later I got a full refund and two First Class Anytime Return Carnets which were valid for 12 months.

Out of curiosity, is LNER's Customer Service 'In House' or outsourced? If it's In House, I would be worried at their training, if it's outsourced, then I'm not surprised. Staff that are employed by outsourcer's unfortunately get the bare minimum of training.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Still no conclusion. This is becoming screamingly tedious. I've sent this email to Mr Mike Ross:

Dear Sir,

I originally contacted LNER on the 10th of February this year regarding compensation for a delayed journey. This claim was originally rejected incorrectly. Although I explained to LNER customer services why this was the case, the position that no compensation was due was incorrectly maintained.

I escalated the matter internally on the 17th of February. Despite receiving prompt replies, no action has yet occurred. My case remains unsolved to date.

Therefore, I am informing LNER of my intention to escalate this matter externally to The Rail Ombudsman if there is no resolution by May the 10th. I believe 4 months is long enough to allow for a claim to be considered.

Finally, I express my disappointment that this claim has reached this stage. A simple request for a delayed journey should not take this much time, should not require internal escalation, and should not require external escalation. Nobody wanted to be in the current situation.

Yours sincerely,

Esker-pades

Established Member
What was their latest response out of curiosity?
A series of emails from Mike Ross saying "Sorry it's taken so long, I will resolve it by <insert date here>."

The timeframes have been (date of email - date of promised resolution):
  • 24th Feb - 7 working days
  • 17th Mar - Tomorrow
  • 18th Mar - Tomorrow
  • 26th Mar - End of the week

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just checked my bank statements.....They've refunded me twice.
(Excuse me while I slam my face in a door.)

Questions:
Do I do anything?
Am I obliged to tell LNER in this case?
You should tell them; not telling them could be seen as dishonest if they later discovered it. In all likelihood they will simply tell you to keep it, as it's too much of an administrative burden for them to be worth the bad rap!

Esker-pades

Established Member
You should tell them; not telling them could be seen as dishonest if they later discovered it. In all likelihood they will simply tell you to keep it, as it's too much of an administrative burden for them to be worth the bad rap!
I've fired off an e-mail to their customer services department. Thanks for your help along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.