• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heacham old signal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

euryalus

The signal box at Heacham, on the Hunstanton branch, was sited to the north of the platforms on the down side. However, I have been looking at some old photographs and have discovered that there was a second box on the up side of the line. This wooden structure seems to have appeared around 1953, but I don't think it was an active box - was it, perhaps, a redundant box from another location that had been moved to Heacham in order to serve as a store or PW hut?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Total guess, but possibly related to damage after coastal flooding around 1953?

Gloster

Established Member
A photo on the Heacham Heritage Community Project site (sorry, I can’t do a link) does show the box with several feet of water over the track. It is possible that the box was damaged and replaced by a redundant box from elsewhere. It is unlikely that a disused signal box was moved to Heacham to be used as a hut, when a simple structure would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.