• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headcode 6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJD200

Hi all

Would anyone be able to tell me what service the headcode/train reporting number 6A was for?

I have a model of a Class 33 in BR green with this headcode, but have no other clues, apart from it was could've been in the south east.

Alternatively, could anyone give me headcodes for services that would have started, terminated or gone through Gillingham (Kent).

Many thanks

DJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Your starting point is here but unfortunately there isn't a list of freight headcodes, and a 33 on passenger would be fairly rare at Gillingham.

http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/eheadcodes.html

Inter regional passenger trains carried letter+number, and I've located a list of those on my shelves, so 6A would have been a freight. I think I have the info somewhere in the loft, so if no one else comes up with the goods in a day or two, PM me and I'll have a look.

DJD200

Thanks so much for that. I would've been happy to change it as I'd rather the model hauled passenger trains but am thinking they (33/0) were built initially for freight so maybe the 6A is accurate enough and it'll have to haul mainly freight.

Route code 6A covers the following

Tonbridge to Margate via DOVER
Battersea Yard to Norwood Yard via CLAPHAM JUNCTION AND CRYSTAL PALACE

Paul

Veteran Member
Thanks so much for that. I would've been happy to change it as I'd rather the model hauled passenger trains but am thinking they (33/0) were built initially for freight so maybe the 6A is accurate enough and it'll have to haul mainly freight.

Depends on the period you are modelling.

They were built as mixed traffic but without a train heating boiler, so could not haul passenger in winter until eth became widespread. When new they worked Kent Coast expresses via Tonbridge with a Sulzer Type 2 (aka Class 24) to provide heat and horsepower.

The main diesel passenger workings in the 60s through Gillingham would have come from the Midlands or further north via Longhedge, and were summer only. These are the ones that would have had the letter+number codes.

DJD200

Interesting, thanks to you both. Having repainted it and put it back together I think it deserves passenger work :D So what code(s) would the longer distance passengers services (the Midlands) have?

I'm not going for a particular era, just using a wide range of heritage stock and in two parts: Kent coast line through Gillingham, and west country branch line, so looking at incorporating the two, and this would be ideal use for the loco I think.

John Webb

Established Member
For your information, it would seem that the display of headlamp/disc codes or two or four-figure train codes on the trains went out of use around 1976. I have a copy of the BR Supplement No.2 to the General Appendix, published in 1976, which removes all reference from the 1973 General Appendix to headlamps, codes and discs being displayed. So if you are modelling from 1976 onwards you could simply remove the code and be prototypically correct.

Veteran Member
From Kensington in 1971:
H4 Dover via Herne Hill
H6 Ramsgate ditto
H8 Ramsgate via Catford Loop
From Clapham Jn (eg ex WR or MML) not shown but maybe H3,5,7

33s on West Country branches I associate with the Rail Blue era, but they worked round Exeter (no headcode) and on Waterloo trains, h/c 62.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.