• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
There is a significant error - class 5 trains can be passenger as well as ecs.

At the moment we've got quite a few down my way, due to the electrification works diversions we've got some unusual services running.
Take a look at Chippenham on RTT, at the moment almost everything is a class 5.

Just looked at Chippenham for tomorrow and as far as I can see the class 5's that are listed are empty stock moves/shunts.

It should also be noted that class 5 trains can use goods lines, start on a position light signal and have no restrictions on using routes that don't have any facing point locks...absolutely not the case with in service passenger trains...at least not without prior special permission, and even then often with special instructions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Of course, Class 1 doesn't always mean express nor non stopping. 1D19 (0954 Waterloo - Dorking) is all stops Dorking just with the exception of Boxhill, although there are 1Dxx's later on in the day that are literally all stops Waterloo to Dorking

D6975

Established Member
ooops - the pass are all 2s, the 5s are as pointed out the ecs shunts.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Of course, Class 1 doesn't always mean express nor non stopping. 1D19 (0954 Waterloo - Dorking) is all stops Dorking just with the exception of Boxhill, although there are 1Dxx's later on in the day that are literally all stops Waterloo to Dorking

Every time there's a 'headcode thread' posters explain exactly how it all works in their particular area. Once you merge all the answers, it is obviously different all over the country...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Or very much the same.

[Class] [Route code] [Running order]

I was thinking more of the meaning of a particular letter in terms of destinations. The sort of 'S is for Scotland' as a generalisation, which doesn't seem to apply from Waterloo, as an example...

ComUtoR

Established Member
I was thinking more of the meaning of a particular letter in terms of destinations. The sort of 'S is for Scotland' as a generalisation, which doesn't seem to apply from Waterloo, as an example...

Its because everybody is over complicating it. The format for the headcode is pretty much universal and that everyone who needs to know it will almost immediately understand it. On my patch I can look at the headcode and identify its route.

Hopefully a Signaler can confirm as it is more for them than us. I had a box visit and the Sig on the panel identifies the train by its route code and signals it accordingly. Once its left their panel then all is good and they continue with their day.

All we need to learn is the format. It is the simplicity of the system that makes it so useful.

I pulled this of the interweb.

E - London and North Eastern
I - European
L - Anglia
M - London Midland / North Western
O - Southern / European
S - Scotland
V - Western
X - Out of gauge trains, extra long trains, etc.
Z - Special trains

We will never have routing for Scotland but we do use everything else (not seen an X before) However it is still simply the route code part.

Zulu is used a lot and is a fast way to change the headcode when thing go a bit messy out there. The Signaler will also flip out the class and keep the rest the same when your cancelled etc. They still see the route code and the running order and signal the train accordingly. It is also possible to use 99 as the running order number part but I'm not 100% sure when that it is used but again by recognizing the pattern you instantly know what the train is.

A really rare one (at least for us) and probably no longer in use due to GSMR was the Sig would put your departure time as a temp headcode.

GSMR should be able to have the same headcode as the full train describers come from the headcode + signal number and each train has a unique 7 digit pattern. (at least from birth) Need a Signaler to confirm/deny/explain

GSMR has its own oddities too but your again gonna need a Signaler with much much better insight than me for those.

*Edit*
I suppose the correct questions would be.

"What does the headcode mean ?" and "On TOC(x), Where does X, L, XX headcode go ?"

*Edit 2"
The sort of 'S is for Scotland' as a generalisation, which doesn't seem to apply from Waterloo, as an example...

Because if we used "S" for Scotland and then "S" for a local route then the guy with his slippers on in the box might get a bit confused. I dont think the list I posted is in use any more as I pulled it off something about BR headcodes. Maybe an Historian can chip in about "headcodes" as I distinctly remember my local train was always number "70"

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
There is a significant error - class 5 trains can be passenger as well as ecs.

At the moment we've got quite a few down my way, due to the electrification works diversions we've got some unusual services running.
Take a look at Chippenham on RTT, at the moment almost everything is a class 5.

Just looked at Chippenham for tomorrow and nearly all passenger services are class 1 with the odd class 2, the few class 5s are ECS moves from platform 1 to platform 2.
So I would say you are wrong!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1Dxx is Dorking via Epsom
2Dxx is Guidford via Epsom.

That is all it needs for the signallers to know where the train is going and which route it is taking.

What works in Wimbledon box will be known by all the Wimbledon signallers and that is all that matters, they are called local instructions and the clue is in the name.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Zulu is used a lot and is a fast way to change the headcode when thing go a bit messy out there. The Signaler will also flip out the class and keep the rest the same when your cancelled etc. They still see the route code and the running order and signal the train accordingly. It is also possible to use 99 as the running order number part but I'm not 100% sure when that it is used but again by recognizing the pattern you instantly know what the train is.

Plenty of actual planned Zulus out there that get called, not just put in when something starts going wrong, eg: 1Z48 gets called if 9M48 goes belly up.

Veteran Member
Its because everybody is over complicating it. The format for the headcode is pretty much universal and that everyone who needs to know it will almost immediately understand it. On my patch I can look at the headcode and identify its route.

All we need to learn is the format. It is the simplicity of the system that makes it so useful.

I - European
L - Anglia
O - Southern / European
S - Scotland
V - Western
Z - Special trains

We will never have routing for Scotland but we do use everything else (not seen an X before) However it is still simply the route code part.

Because if we used "S" for Scotland and then "S" for a local route then the guy with his slippers on in the box might get a bit confused. I dont think the list I posted is in use any more as I pulled it off something about BR headcodes. Maybe an Historian can chip in about "headcodes" as I distinctly remember my local train was always number "70"

That list works or worked for inter regional trains only. As others have pointed out, the letters have multiple localised meanings as well.

For SR headcodes the best site is http://www.semgonline.com
Again, note that a headcode could have multiple meanings, even within the same Division.

Minilad

Established Member
I am quite surprised no pedant out there has mentioned all the headcodes mentioned in this thread are not headcodes at all but are train reporting numbers :D

Tomnick

Established Member

Hopefully a Signaler can confirm as it is more for them than us. I had a box visit and the Sig on the panel identifies the train by its route code and signals it accordingly. Once its left their panel then all is good and they continue with their day.
Spot on. Not only is the headcode (or train description, for the more pedantic!) importantly to uniquely identify a specific train in a signalman's area of control, the routing information and service patterns that are conveyed within are essential to assist the signalman in running the job efficiently, without having to look up every single schedule. Consistency is everything in that respect!

I - European
L - Anglia
O - Southern / European
S - Scotland
V - Western
Z - Special trains

As others have said, many inter-regional trains still follow that convention. In some regions, those letters are used for 'internal' passenger services (1Lxx for Swansea services on FGW, for example), presumably acceptable (to give a wider range of letters) because there's no conflict with any inter-regional passenger services using the same letter (I can only think of one regular booked passenger service from the Western Region to Anglia!). Conversely, some busy inter-regional corridors (e.g. some TPE services) use other letters because they'd quickly run out otherwise!

The same seems to apply, to a much greater extent, with class 2 services - since relatively few of these cross regional boundaries, it's more likely to be acceptable to use those letters as there's little chance of a conflict. Looking back through old WTTs, it was common for the allocation of destination/route letters to be outlined for all trains, except class 2s which often used a completely different system.

I know of at least one (TOC) train planning department that has tried to use 1Z99 for an STP'd passenger working - I'm not sure at which stage it was thrown out, but I suspect (and hope) that it was quite early in the process. For the uninitiated, 1Z99 is one of a small number of 'reserved' train descriptions, in this case for an assisting loco, breakdown train etc. going to clear the line.

More generally, a train running as xZxx stands out as something worthy of a closer look, so I'd certainly encourage its use for anything that's been amended to run outside the normal pattern.

A really rare one (at least for us) and probably no longer in use due to GSMR was the Sig would put your departure time as a temp headcode.
It's still done in quite a few areas. You can put anything (up to four characters) in a TD berth - "*T3*", "-LB-", "NOGO", "TREE" and "BROK" are all examples that I've seen, as well as some imaginative farewell messages when boxes close. I don't know whether there's any impact on the information systems on stations if this is done in the wrong berths though.

The Skegness HSTs give an excellent example of potentially confusing train descriptions - 1S01 and 1S02 at present, leaving its origin less than ten minutes after a train that actually does go to Scotland. Two years ago, when they were diverted via Peterborough all summer, there'd have been even more opportunity to get it wrong at Grantham. Yes, it fits in with all the class 2 services to/from Skegness, but - as above - there's no potential for confusion with those. I do think that there's an increasing problem with train planners allocating train descriptions on an apparently arbitrary basis, or something simple like the first letter of the destination, without considering or understanding the consequences for those of us who have to work with them.

kieron

Established Member
As far as headcodes go, generally the fewer stops it makes = class 1, the more stops it makes = class 2.

That's an over-simplification, but it gives the general idea. It's more the stopping pattern and overall relative speed of the service than the type of rolling stock used.
Does it have any effect if a particular service is class 1 or class 2? You get class 1 services with a great many stops in a short distance, as in the link, and class 2 ones with few stops, so I'm wondering if the distinction between these types of code matters.

satisnek

A question from me - how is it determined where the line is drawn between Class 1 and Class 2 services (generally/historically)? Is it done on a route-by-route basis or is there a general rule based upon distance travelled/number of stops/average speed etc.? I notice that heritage lines on gala weekends usually use Class 1 for limited stop/non-stop trains and Class 2 for everything else, but on the national system it's not that simple.

ComUtoR

Established Member
so I'm wondering if the distinction between these types of code matters.

Not really but...

As per the Rule Book

1) Express passenger train; nominated postal or parcels train; breakdown or overhead line equipment train going to clear the line (headcode 1Z99); traction unit going to assist a failed train (1Z99); snow plough going to clear the line (1Z99)
2) Ordinary passenger train; Officers’ special train (2Z01)
3) Freight train if specially authorised; a parcels train; autumn-railhead treatment train; empty coaching stock train if specially authorised
4) Freight train which can run up to 75 mph
5) Empty coaching stock train
6) Freight train which can run up to 60 mph
7) Freight train which can run up to 45 mph
8) Freight train which can run up to 35 mph
9) Class 373 train; other passenger train if specially authorised
0) Light locomotive or locomotives

Anything else and you are over complicating it. If you are bored and really want to get technical and into the specifics then you need to consult Group Standards to what specifically defines each "class"

"headcodes" go back a long way you need to dig into the history books to see how they have progressed into what they are today.

*edit*
http://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GORT3056-A Iss 1.pdf

Classification for Freight Trains (its based on speed)

*edit 2* (I cant sleep !!)

Its been bugging me but something is nagging at me that the 1/2 3/5 is also to help the Signaler. Anecdotally; It is also a priority order. Generally a Class 2 will be held for a Class 1 when they need to regulate. Same with 3/5 ECS as Class 3 tend to be ECS then into service and Class 5 go ECS and terminate. Timings for 3 ECS tend to be real tight.

Again it is something for the Signalers and Planners to chime in with as no doubt they have some regulations as to prioritize trains.

@Tomnick. Cheers as I forgot to post a thanks earlier :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.