• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headlights on trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loop Line

I have noticed with class 507/8s that there are four lights on each end of the train. Two large white ones and two small which seem to be both red and white depending on which end is currently at the front. What do the patterns of lights indicate? I've seen the large white ones lit sometimes. Sometimes just one large one. And other times just the small ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t_star2001uk

Reds are tail lights
2 small white lights are marker lights and are generally used for yards and sidings.
Normal running should show 1 headlight and 1 marker light on the opposite side.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Yard work is both marker lights only with no headlight. Day running is (if you are facing in the train's direction) the left marker light on with right headlight on. Night running is right marker light on and left headlight on. This is the case with most classes of train.
On opposite end, both tail light will be on.

This should help: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=122636

Last edited:

Loop Line

Thanks. I guessed the red were tail lights. Like on a car. I just wondered why there where different white lights. I have, I think, seen the train approach a station with headlight on and it's turned off as the train comes to a halt.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Thanks. I guessed the red were tail lights. Like on a car. I just wondered why there where different white lights. I have, I think, seen the train approach a station with headlight on and it's turned off as the train comes to a halt.

Maybe the train was terminating? Maybe the electrical current has a gap in it? Not too sure...

Domh245

Established Member
Maybe the train was terminating? Maybe the electrical current has a gap in it? Not too sure...

It might be the case that the headlight (but not the marker) is linked to the master controller/reverser, so that the headlight is only on when in forward? LU stock has a similar situation I think where the headlights come on when the driver turns the cab on.

E_Reeves

Established Member
It might be the case that the headlight (but not the marker) is linked to the master controller/reverser, so that the headlight is only on when in forward? LU stock has a similar situation I think where the headlights come on when the driver turns the cab on.

Not too sure. Most stock tends to have switches to turn on/off the marker, headlight and tail-lights in both cabs so that the reverser wouldn't affect the lighting. Could be the case with LU and light rail.

BestWestern

Established Member
A loss of traction current should not cause head/tail lamps to immediately fail, as they should be wired into the battery circuit for emergencies.

It's not at all uncommon for Drivers to change the lights before the train has come to a stop when running into a terminus.

507 001

Established Member
Merseyrail drivers tend to switch to tail lights just before they come to a stand. The lights are on switches, not linked to the master controller.

Also, on 507/508 stock, both marker lights are lit at all times, regardless of day/night setting. There's also the high level 'cyclops' marker too.

Last edited:

E_Reeves

Established Member

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.58.12.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 10.58.12.png
    547.9 KB · Views: 159

driver9000

Established Member
New front lighting standard is two headlights and 3 markers (two at headlight level and one at roof level).

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Are all TOCs and FOCs now changing all external lights over to using LED bulbs?

Harbornite

Established Member
On a slightly different topic, are DBC starting to replace the lighting clusters on Class 66s with more contemporary LED marker lights?

I've seen 66525 with new lights and pictures of 66601, one of the DB red sheds and the EWS shed shown up there with new lights. They have also been fitted to some of the Network Rail Windhoff Mpvs.

And not demonstrated by the 68s!

The 68s and 88s have rather different light clusters with only one light per cluster, each doubles as a headlight/marker and rear. A departure from usual practice in the UK.

E_Reeves

Established Member
On a similar topic, is there a certain time where drivers have to switch from day running to night running? I was out when it was getting quite dark, and most trains I saw were still in day running setting.

driver9000

Established Member
On a similar topic, is there a certain time where drivers have to switch from day running to night running? I was out when it was getting quite dark, and most trains I saw were still in day running setting.

No specified time but lighting up time would be a reasonable guideline if it was still published.

Personally I select my lighting so that if it's dark or dawn when I start a trip then I'll use my night light and leave it alone. If it's starting to go dark or will start to get dark soon after starting a trip I'll use the night light as it saves me forgetting to change it later. If I'm mid way through a long journey then I'll change it at a station before it gets dark.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do any modern units or locos have light sensors for controlling the day and night running mode?

Deepgreen

Established Member
I noticed a 377 formation leaving Redhill southbound last evening, where the rear unit had its headlight on (in passenger service). I wasn't aware that this was possible when coupled to another unit ahead.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I noticed a 377 formation leaving Redhill southbound last evening, where the rear unit had its headlight on (in passenger service). I wasn't aware that this was possible when coupled to another unit ahead.

as in white facing the rear? I hope you reported it.

tsr

Established Member

Entirely possible, and relatively easily done if distracted whilst performing the various procedures after coupling. A red light is obviously more noticeable in a fully-lit station environment.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I took the comment as meaning the coupled end (middle of the train) had a headlight on.

Correct. Not really a safety issue, but simply something that I had assumed was not possible with the electrical set up in place on 377s. Clearly I was wrong. I should stress that the train in question had not coupled at Redhill (it was a down working), so presumably the intermediate headlight had been on for some time.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
Seen the photos of 66182 on the above tour over the weekend. It appears to be fitted with a whole new set of very sparkly lights in place of the originals. Is this now DBC procurement policy where robbed lighting parts off stored locos are not available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx5WuP6UxgQ (Not mine).

SeanG

Established Member
This may sound daft to those in the know, but is there any mode of "full beam" as in a car to aid visibility? Clearly this may only be viable on single track lines as to not blind oncoming trains.
Thinking this may work on more rural lines were there is more single track and less light pollution.
Don't shoot if I'm talking nuts ;)

najaB

Veteran Member
This may sound daft to those in the know, but is there any mode of "full beam" as in a car to aid visibility?
Trains lights are mainly so that they can be seen, rather than for the driver to be able to see the track ahead. It's often the case that if you can see it, you're going to hit it.

That said, in the night setting the nearside light is set to high intensity so that trackside signs are more easily seen.

Fincra5

Established Member
Correct. Not really a safety issue, but simply something that I had assumed was not possible with the electrical set up in place on 377s. Clearly I was wrong. I should stress that the train in question had not coupled at Redhill (it was a down working), so presumably the intermediate headlight had been on for some time.

Mitrac makes a good habit of alerting the driver to such a situation.

Domh245

Established Member
This may sound daft to those in the know, but is there any mode of "full beam" as in a car to aid visibility? Clearly this may only be viable on single track lines as to not blind oncoming trains.
Thinking this may work on more rural lines were there is more single track and less light pollution.
Don't shoot if I'm talking nuts ;)

The most modern incarnation of train lighting standards* does actually call for headlights to have a dimmed mode and a full beam mode - full beam during the day, dimmed at night (which I admit doesn't make much sense to me!) - the specifics of which are detailed in BS EN15153-1: For headlights 40,000 cd full beam, 12,000 cd dimmed

*Clause 3.3.1

rebmcr

Established Member
Network Rail's test train 43's are fitted with additional forward-facing illumination lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.