• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heald Green - Malton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mintona

Established Member
I am wanting to do this journey about 7am on Sunday morning, but NX and NR websites are both telling me to go via Manchester Airport. Is this valid? I thought it wouldn't be as it is doubling back.
Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
I can't really explain why but I wouldn't count that as Doubling Back presumably because most trains go via Manchester Airport.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Strictly speaking, unless there is some easement that allows it, it is doubling back and therefore not permitted.

However, about 99% of guards show common sense and would allow it.:)

If in doubt, simply bring a printout of the websites showing that route with you!

Coradia

I am wanting to do this journey about 7am on Sunday morning, but NX and NR websites are both telling me to go via Manchester Airport. Is this valid? I thought it wouldn't be as it is doubling back.
Cheers.

I expect so, in the past when I have done a journey to Manchester from Heald Green, and go via the Airport on a non stopper, the Ive not had a problem. I think its valid because the trains are straight through from the Airport.

First class

Established Member
Just get an earlier train to Manchester Pic and meet it there if your worried. It can hardly overtake...

1D53

Established Member
IIRC, the problem is Heald Green on a Sunday has service towards the Airport before the first service AWAY from the Airport which makes the connection oppertunities.

charley_17/7

Similar quirk from Sandbach on Sundays, had a lady with a Sandbach - York (possibly Advance) ticket, going towards Crewe.

Sure enough on checking it advised to go double back via Crewe, picking up a VT service towards Manchester, then same as usual. In these instances (times due to engineering work/set by NRE) common sense = no charge.

This could be to do with the "different" timetable on Sundays. Usually Mo-Sa the Styal line is a mix of FTPE/NT (Crewe via MIA) stoppers with skip-stop patterns, whereas on Sundays the NT stopper goes up and down to MIA, but the Crewe goes express to Heald Green, direct to Wilmslow, then as normal.

For those with going to MIA luggage, the connection time at Heald Green is plenty, albeit circuituous route between platforms.

Mintona

Established Member
Thanks a lot, I will do what is suggested then. I would go to Piccadilly earlier, but I'd have to go over an hour earlier and sit up there for an hour, which I don't particularly fancy doing.
Cheers again folks

Status
Not open for further replies.