• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Healey Mills News flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

9K43

It has come to my attention that Healey Mills [HM] drivers are learning Class 20's for the sandite trains.
Class 20's have never been used by HM men as long as I can remember.
Tinsley and Wath men used them.
I am told that the Class 20's going to be hired in for the sandite season.

Another tit bit is that shortly the Harrogate York Section of the line will be doubled through out, doing away with the single line sections.
Alas no mention of electrification on this line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
It has come to my attention that HM drivers are learning Class 20's for the sandite trains.
Class 20's have never been used by HM men as long as I can remember.
Tinsley and Wath men used them.

Tinsley and Wath men might have a problem with a refresher for this time round...:lol:

ECJS189

Another tit bit is that shortly the Harrogate York Section of the line will be doubled through out, doing away with the single line sections.

Interesting. That would require some work by the Highways Agency as the A59 bridge at Poppleton is only single track width I think.

bluenoxid

Established Member

Interesting. That would require some work by the Highways Agency as the A59 bridge at Poppleton is only single track width I think.

Or the whole post is something beginning with b, ending with s and has ollock in the middle???

caliwag

LOL there used to be a band called the Mothmen, so how a decent raw guitar band called...the Wathmen.

I'll get macoat!

fgwrich

Established Member
As for the 20s...So this is the contract then that a Mr Harry Needle has been banging on about leading to the plan of his 20s up and running by September for...

Wonder whos going to be crewing them then!

9K43

As I said in my earlier news flash, Healey Mills Drivers are learning class 20's for the oncoming sandite trains.
I have no idea who will squirt this stuff on the rails.

tirphil

As I said in my earlier news flash, Healey Mills Drivers are learning class 20's for the oncoming sandite trains.
I have no idea who will squirt this stuff on the rails.

There is usually a sandite operator on these services who concentrates on discharging the sandite whilst the driver drives the train. Well there always has been when I've been on a sandite circuit.

spionkop64

DB Schenker will crew the trains and Healey Mills is in Wakefield, I think

Healey Mills is in Ossett, which is about three miles west of Wakefield. Allegedly the biggest marshalling yard in Europe when built in 1963. Built for mainly coal, but recent years had a lot of Trans-Pennine work as you are not far from Mirfield/Heaton Lodge where the TP route splits for Diggle and the Calder Valley over the Pennines. South it is close to two routes to Doncaster (Hare Park on WR main line and Askern branch) and formerly the route to Sheffield via Barnsley (Criggleston curve is closed so there is no direct access). East and north routes are towards Leeds via Stourton and York/Hull via Castleford. Someone had their thinking cap on when they developed Healey Mills. However, its road access is limited to a single track road with a low bridge, so that has pushed the yard down the pecking order.

Today, it still has drivers based there, but the yard is rarely used for shunting and the only trains that stop are for train crew relief. There was talk of Northern taking the yard to base its non-electric fleet there, but despite lots of meetings nothing came of it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Where's that ? Healey Mills

I cannot believe that you honestly mean that you don't know where such a famous depot was :roll:

Its code = HM....(SD and WRD)

Look it up on any shed website. It is situated in the region served by Horbury and Ossett.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Healey Mills is in Ossett, which is about three miles west of Wakefield. Today, it still has drivers based there, but the yard is rarely used for shunting and the only trains that stop are for train crew relief. There was talk of Northern taking the yard to base its non-electric fleet there, but despite lots of meetings nothing came of it.

Thank you for submitting your full history, which will be of help to certain forum members. The matter concerning Northern Rail was unfortunate, as this site would have been ideally situated for them.

Last edited:

Saltleyman

I cannot believe that you honestly mean that you don't know where such a famous depot was :roll:

Its code = HM....(SD and WRD)

Look it up on any shed website. It is situated in the region served by Horbury and Ossett.

I did look up a shed directory but can't find a Healey Mills , I can find a 56A
Wakefield, a 56D Mirfield but not a "Healey Mills" ???
However I did find a 21A Saltley, and a SY Saltley???

Saltleyman

As I periodically tell Bob Dunn in joking, all you'll find now is a load of rubble and a portakabin ! sorry couldn't resist, don't mean to offend.

Don't worry my friend it's a wind up anyway !
But I hate these "guards" coming on here making out that they were Drivers !
As an ex Saltley Fireman/Driver with over 47 years service on the footplate ( all at Saltley) it is really sad to see what's happened to the site,but you "can take the man out of Saltley but never Saltley out of the man !!"
Saltley through and through !!

NightatLaira

It has come to my attention that Healey Mills [HM]

Seriously??? This is not a wind up... well, :D
I wonder if they're considering upping the frequency to half-hourly as well on the York to Harrogate bit?

Will the East Coast Harrogate morning services still continue to use the Leeds line after doubling? It probably make more sense to route them via York (no need for turning around then). Is the line from York to Harrogate capable of taking an HST?

Actually, they could even combine NR services from York to Leeds via Harrogate with a continuous through working back round to York via Colton - no need for terminating and turnarounds then - could be the start of a 'Yorkshire Circle Line'

Enough dreaming....

Rugd1022

Don't worry my friend it's a wind up anyway !
But I hate these "guards" coming on here making out that they were Drivers !
As an ex Saltley Fireman/Driver with over 47 years service on the footplate ( all at Saltley) it is really sad to see what's happened to the site,but you "can take the man out of Saltley but never Saltley out of the man !!"
Saltley through and through !!

You can get an ointment for that particular ailment you know!

Only kidding.... from a Rugby man through and through, (by way of Stonebridge Park and Old Oak Common!).

Passing SY the other day on 4V11 I noticed some new holes have been dug on the site and fenced off, so something's afoot. And it looks like the small brick structure with the seagull painted on will be the very last thing to go.... defiant to the bitter end.

;)

Last edited:

Rugd1022

PS: Meant to add, going back on topic....all this talk of 'Platform 5' and 'HM' made me dig this out from the cupboard of British Rail loveliness...

;)

Attachments

• ScannedImage-5.jpg
    ScannedImage-5.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 18

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
PS: Meant to add, going back on topic....all this talk of 'Platform 5' and 'HM' made me dig this out from the cupboard of British Rail loveliness...

;)

It might be a bit scuffed on the surface, but my trusty "Newton Heath NH" one is still well and truly stuck on the front of my leather note holder. It shows how good the adhesive was in the days long ago when I was given this on the "Warcop Wanderer",

Status
Not open for further replies.