• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Healey mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevillehill

For you anoraks

Ballast trains and engineers for the electric structure for over the pennines to Leeds is to start tidying the old yard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
On a related note why was there a very short section of OHLE inside of Healey Mills Yard? I dont know if its still there, always stuck me as odd!

MarkyT

Established Member

Crawley Ben

For you anoraks

Ballast trains and engineers for the electric structure for over the pennines to Leeds is to start tidying the old yard.

Any particular reason Healy Mills closed down in the first place? I'm not familiar with its 'history' so asking just out of curiosity more than anything else if anyone can shed some light on the subject? Be good to see it out back to some sort of use I guess.

Ben

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any particular reason Healy Mills closed down in the first place? I'm not familiar with its 'history' so asking just out of curiosity more than anything else if anyone can shed some light on the subject? Be good to see it out back to some sort of use I guess.

Ben

Healy Mills was just one of the many 'modernisation plan' hump shunting yards that were built around the country to automate wagonload freight marshalling, just before the whole market disintegrated. It would have taken over from local goods yards over a wide area, built during the 60s, but obsolete by the 70s.

The complete and utter waste of money spent developing this concept was one of the more striking mistakes of BR, but it's really a whole subject in itself.

There's a quick summary here: http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2012/end-of-the-line-for-healey-mills-depot/

but Google 'modernisation plan freight yards' and you could be there for days...

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
Healy Mills was just one of the many 'modernisation plan' hump shunting yards . . . The complete and utter waste of money spent developing this concept was one of the more striking mistakes of BR, but it's really a whole subject in itself.

Consolidating freight operations into these larger yards seemed very rational at the time I'm sure, potentially saving many staff and facilities at smaller yards and speeding up wagon transit times. The complete collapse of general UK railfreight, except for a relatively small hard core of highly profitable bulk flows, was not planned for in the 1950s and was a result of many factors outside of BRs control, so it's not correct to claim modern yards were a great failing of the BR's modernisation plan itself, but rather it's terms of reference from government. Large yards, usually equipped with humps, continue to operate in Europe and the US today, so its not correct to claim the concept itself was obsolete then or is today.

If we're looking for aspects of the modernisation plan to criticise, continuing to build steam engines whilst at the same time acquiring a bewildering array of largely untested different diesel locos and units was probably a more serious tactical error, although most of the evidence of that has since been recycled into cars and cans of beans many times over by now! The rusting overgrown yards remain however.

Whilst they are largely out of use now, at least some of those vast tracts of brownfield land in the abandoned yards could be considered for safeguarding for future railway use, for freight growth, depot sites etc, although probably not exactly in their former use for humping!

Last edited:

55z

Healey Mills replaced a number of small local yards and worked to maximum capacity for a number of years so was not a waste of time. It was one if not the only one of the BR 1960's marshalling yards which worked to capacity. The electric wires if I remember correctly were something to do with the Leeds remodelling..

87019Chris

Well at least they wont need new ground frame signalling as this was all installed brand new shortly before they closed the yard. The yard itself was due to be kept open and Knottingley to be shut at the time then DBS/EWS realised Knottingley was in a better location (coal train wise at least) and switched which one they were going to shut. The yard still is used to store wagons that DBS has no need for or has forgotten about (such as the 2 nearly new Bogied tank wagons left at the Mirfield end of the depot near the line towards Wakefield). Do correct me if im wrong but this was my understanding of what happened :).

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Anyone have any links to reputable sources mentioning what's planned for Healey Mills?
I've had a good search online, but nothing jumped out at me.

shedman

Anyone have any links to reputable sources mentioning what's planned for Healey Mills?
I've had a good search online, but nothing jumped out at me.

I can confirm Healey Mills will reopen. As I am led to believe 10 roads will form the initial reopening stage.

DB Schenker have started to clear the yard completely with the remaining wagons going to either Stoke or Booths in Rotherham and some will be cut up on site at HM.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I can confirm Healey Mills will reopen. As I am led to believe 10 roads will form the initial reopening stage.

DB Schenker have started to clear the yard completely with the remaining wagons going to either Stoke or Booths in Rotherham and some will be cut up on site at HM.

If they are heading to Stoke I presume they will be repaired / serviced rather than cut up?

Class 170101

Established Member
I must admit when I looked at the location I did wonder if this would be an ideal spot for Transpennine electrification.

Does anyone know whether Transpennine is being wired by a High Output train or by other methods?

Crossover

Established Member
I have certainly seen the aforementioned OHLE stretch within Healey Mills and been equally bemused as to why it is there!

wensley

Established Member
On a related note why was there a very short section of OHLE inside of Healey Mills Yard? I dont know if its still there, always stuck me as odd!

Old re-railing training school. Must have been to give the re-railing gangs experience working under OLE structures in a controlled environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.