• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Health and Safety; which is the right approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think you're misunderstanding my point. My point was not that they should not be done. My point was that you and I may well do the same risk assessment template on the same thing and come up with two different results based on our own views and mindsets. Having more than one person at a meeting to do it would of course help.

To use the example of the person working at height and being required to wear hi-vis, we might have:

Risk: being hit by large vehicle with blind spots e.g. lorry
Mitigation: wear hi-vis when in areas where vehicles move

Or we might have:

Risk: being hit by large vehicle with blind spots e.g. lorry
Mitigation: wear hi-vis at all times when on site

Both of those are valid - though many would plump for the latter because it removes the chance of forgetting to put it back on, though as the other poster mentioned it might in itself introduce other risks.

You've then got the severity and likelihood factors, which might be taken differently by different people. You may well have a set of descriptions, but even they are human - the only one that is absolute is death!

My point overall is that it is *not* an absolute process, though formalising it helps with some level of standardisation and paper trail. Even if score N is defined as acceptable by an employer, it doesn't take much to write it differently so a borderline risk appears on the side the writer wants it to.

To me, the most important thing about RA is therefore not the absolute figures, but the fact that in doing it you have brainstormed and thought about risks, and considered ways to reduce them where appropriate. This is why I take the view that printing a pre-prepared RA and saying "RA done", as is not uncommon, is a bad thing - it creates a mindset *not* to think about it. You should never stop assessing risk just because you have a piece of paper done! :)

Actually I think we are in agreement. Any fool can be trained to do the mechanics of a RA, even if the acceptance totals are mandated. In the mind of the assessor, that's a management problem then. If the employer (as in my experience) integrates expert review of the assessment with introduction/modification/continuation of the procedures etc., any box ticking becomes fairly obvious, and steps (further training or reassignment) are taken to prevent its continuation. Risk severity and probability is changed as deemed necessary.
My experience was not rail but another industry that prides itself in having low injuries and very low deaths, even though some of the equipment/processes have considerable dangers attached to them if procedures are not followed.
I personally have closed a laboratory where sensors detected a marginal level of a gas, and withdrawn use of equipment where somebody received an electric shock despite the protection offered by the local supply working correctly. There was pressure to find a way (other than reassessing the risks and making appropriate changes) of continuing work there but the safety back-up was always there, traceable to director level, so the safety regime was maintained. Risks were re-rated in terms of severity and probability meaning that design change was mandated.
There is always the 'nanny state' chorus when the impact of poor safety is addressed, usually by those who have no responsibility for safety but feel that the safety of others inconveniences them.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
There is always the 'nanny state' chorus when the impact of poor safety is addressed, usually by those who have no responsibility for safety but feel that the safety of others inconveniences them.

^ This - absolutely.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I only tend to bring in the term "nanny state" where the state decides I can't take care of my own health and/or safety in a non-work scenario, personally.

AM9

Veteran Member
I only tend to bring in the term "nanny state" where the state decides I can't take care of my own health and/or safety in a non-work scenario, personally.

Fair enough, but not everybody can take care of themselves. Also, (we're getting a bit off topic here) there's unhealthy food and drink, which the average normal citzen is severely disadvantaged against the marketing psycology of a multi-billion global food industry.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Stopping the train, now about half a mile away does not assist in any way the drunk, so no point in holding the train for that reason.

Thinking hypothetically here, there was a possibility that the drunk either fell due to a faulty door or indeed, was pushed from the train, then not stopping the train could assist in the escape of a person who otherwise be charged with an attempted murder/manslaughter charge. The train manager would presumably have to establish some degree of assurity that the injury was intact self inflicted.

island

Veteran Member
Quite most so "Health and Saftey so called rules) have no legal existince but ppl claim there rules are enforacable by law, THEY ARN`T.(well some are) I was working on a lighting truss a few years ago and some busybody insisted I wore the hi viz vest required on the ground, refused and hung it at bottom of support leg as normal, they are far too loose and catch on everything in the rigging, so far safer to leave at bottom. Disscussion with site manager later and explaing led to earache for gusybody and a carry on as normal for me.

A lot of stuff attributed to health & safety is also nothing to do with it, but is the consequence of someone with a little bit of authority who heard that you can't do X any more without a risk assessment/CRB check/three-week training course, or of insurance companies stating they won't pay out unless such and such isn't allowed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A lot of stuff attributed to health & safety is also nothing to do with it, but is the consequence of someone with a little bit of authority who heard that you can't do X any more without a risk assessment/CRB check/three-week training course, or of insurance companies stating they won't pay out unless such and such isn't allowed.

Indeed. For a safety geek many a happy hour can be spent on this site:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Wearing a hi-vis when climbing a lighting tower is an example of the last two points. The hi-vis is presumably necessary to be visible from vehicles when on the ground but (leaving aside any low-flying aircraft) there is no similar hazard when up a tower. And if it snags on something while at height this could create a new hazard.

The reason you should wear HI-Vi while on a tower or mobile scaffolding platform is to make people on the ground more aware you are there and therefore less likely to move the tower while you are on it. There are three and four piece Velcro HI-VIs which come apart if they catch or snag on anything though having a correctly fitting HI-VI should alleviate this problem.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed. For a safety geek many a happy hour can be spent on this site:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

Quite often it may appear that something is 'elf & safety gorn mad. One example I thought was such was when we were asked what a ladder was doing leaning next to the wall and why wasn't it chained up because someone might use it. I thought how ludicrous - isn't the ladder there to be used ? The point of chaining it was to stop people using it on their own and the reason they wanted to stop people using it on their own was due to the high level of incidents involving lone workers falling from ladders. You can love or hate or be indifferent to H & S but far less people are killed in the workplace than they were before we had an emphasis on it - from the thousands to the hundreds.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite often it may appear that something is 'elf & safety gorn mad. One example I thought was such was when we were asked what a ladder was doing leaning next to the wall and why wasn't it chained up because someone might use it. I thought how ludicrous - isn't the ladder there to be used ? The point of chaining it was to stop people using it on their own and the reason they wanted to stop people using it on their own was due to the high level of incidents involving lone workers falling from ladders. You can love or hate or be indifferent to H & S but far less people are killed in the workplace than they were before we had an emphasis on it - from the thousands to the hundreds.

I must admit this specific one is an example where I wouldn't bother. If the rules are very clearly that you must not use a ladder on your own, and the employee has been clearly briefed of that, I don't see it as the employer's role (or anyone else's) to protect them from their own stupidity in ignoring that.

What I would say H&S rules should do is prevent an unscrupulous employer from insisting that they did so.

Haydn1971

Established Member
What I would say H&S rules should do is prevent an unscrupulous employer from insisting that they did so.

Quite the opposite from my perspective, I've been blue in the face catching lads on a working site in trainers, not bothering to put the necessary road signing out (Chapter 8), operating HIAB's without stabilisers etc, just so they can do the job quicker and use the saved time for an extended tea break. Employers are still pushing for employees to do the jobs quicker, but thankfully my employers have always been happy for me to stop the work until appropriate safe methods are in place - protecting them from legal action following a "stupidity" related injury.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I must admit this specific one is an example where I wouldn't bother. If the rules are very clearly that you must not use a ladder on your own, and the employee has been clearly briefed of that, I don't see it as the employer's role (or anyone else's) to protect them from their own stupidity in ignoring that.

We are all guilty of doing something stupid at some point or other, of not thinking straight, being distracted etc. cutting corners usually when in a rush to do something. Even if you take a more heartless view about a colleague being injured or killed an incident will still stop the job and cost the employer time and money.
The whole thing of scoring risk assessments is about the probability of something happening regardless of how stupid the individual is. People could climb up the drainpipes and fall and injure themselves but as their are no recorded incidents of people being that stupid then there is no need to put measures in to reduce that risk.
(Although the success of H & S rules in drastically reducing the number of deaths in the workplace may attribute to the Darwinist theory of imbalance and the rise of the Jeremy Kyle show to being on our screens twice a day seven days a week)

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
There are three and four piece Velcro HI-VIs which come apart if they catch or snag on anything though having a correctly fitting HI-VI should alleviate this problem.
Or even have a high-visibility shirt specified as the work uniform instead of a plain shirt requiring a jacket be put on over the top.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
protecting them from legal action following a "stupidity" related injury.

I can see that in the current legal climate, but personally, for an adult, I would like to see more cases fail where "stupidity" is the cause, provided the safety rules and procedures have been explained properly.

TheKnightWho

Established Member

Because you can have the attitude of punishing stupidity all you like: it doesn't change the attitude that someone shouldn't be sentenced to death because of an oversight.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fair enough, but not everybody can take care of themselves. Also, (we're getting a bit off topic here) there's unhealthy food and drink, which the average normal citzen is severely disadvantaged against the marketing psycology of a multi-billion global food industry.

Or the fact that salt and sugar just taste better than lettuce.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because you can have the attitude of punishing stupidity all you like: it doesn't change the attitude that someone shouldn't be sentenced to death because of an oversight.

We're not talking oversights here, though - "Hey mate, you've forgotten your safety helmet" would solve that. We're talking people who are deliberately cutting corners, and I don't have a huge issue with a bit of Darwinism taking place if people make deliberate choices not to be safe.

Pigeon

Quite the opposite from my perspective, I've been blue in the face catching lads on a working site in trainers, not bothering to put the necessary road signing out (Chapter 8), operating HIAB's without stabilisers etc, just so they can do the job quicker and use the saved time for an extended tea break. Employers are still pushing for employees to do the jobs quicker, but thankfully my employers have always been happy for me to stop the work until appropriate safe methods are in place - protecting them from legal action following a "stupidity" related injury.

Requirement: to change a dud light bulb 20 feet up in the roof of the unit.

Option 1: drag in a load of scaff tower from the yard, build it all up, change the light bulb, take it all down again, drag it all back into the yard.

Option 2: stick a pallet on the forklift so one guy can stand on it while another guy hoists him up.

We would have been most displeased (substitute considerably stronger expression involving multiple swearwords) if there had been someone around tasked with forcing us to spend an hour or so and a whole lot of effort on Option 1, instead of 5 minutes and no effort on Option 2. And I say that as the one who went up on the pallet and nearly fell off because I forgot to spread the forks so it tipped up sideways.

If I had fallen off it would never have crossed my mind to take legal action against the company. On the contrary, I would have lied to the hospital about how it happened in case some interfering busybody decided to report it.

On that occasion if I remember rightly there were only the two of us in and we probably did spend the rest of the time drinking tea. Had there been more of us - enough for a decent game - we might well have spent it chasing each other round the racking instead. It's amazing how far you can leap when you're 15 feet off the ground and someone is trying to shoot you in the backside with an air pistol.

Jonny

Established Member

Option 1: drag in a load of scaff tower from the yard, build it all up, change the light bulb, take it all down again, drag it all back into the yard.

Option 2: stick a pallet on the forklift so one guy can stand on it while another guy hoists him up.

We would have been most displeased (substitute considerably stronger expression involving multiple swearwords) if there had been someone around tasked with forcing us to spend an hour or so and a whole lot of effort on Option 1, instead of 5 minutes and no effort on Option 2. And I say that as the one who went up on the pallet and nearly fell off because I forgot to spread the forks so it tipped up sideways.

If I had fallen off it would never have crossed my mind to take legal action against the company. On the contrary, I would have lied to the hospital about how it happened in case some interfering busybody decided to report it.

On that occasion if I remember rightly there were only the two of us in and we probably did spend the rest of the time drinking tea. Had there been more of us - enough for a decent game - we might well have spent it chasing each other round the racking instead. It's amazing how far you can leap when you're 15 feet off the ground and someone is trying to shoot you in the backside with an air pistol.

It's just as well that Health and Safety law requires employees to take care for their own safety as well as that of others then, it also stops the displacement of workers who refuse to take unnecessary risks by those who do.

QueensCurve

Established Member
TIn general, though, I think there is a balance - I agree with the point about misadventure, but equally I wouldn't leave someone bleeding by the side of the road. I also think we owe a greater duty of care to children.

Even if someone did make a misadventure, they still should be left bleeding by the road. That is a different issue to do with properly funded emergency and medical services.

dysonsphere

It goes to extremes though I had a council in wales who insisted on a method statement for a 1 day job (music stage in high street) we didnt remotely have the time to write one so got the office to dig out an old one and use office word to swap all names around and we inserted in the middle of this 50 page epic the standard form to sign saying you have read and understood this document and also put one at end as normal, it came back later with the back one sighed etc, I then opened to middle one and said "so you read this and understood it then" the silence was deafing and we had no more trouble. thats the problem with all this H&S paperwork no one ever reads risk assestments, we had a generic one just change the location and dates.

QueensCurve

Established Member

Another issue is the powerful but often misinformed medical lobby. They have told us for 40 years that fat is bad for us, but there was never any evidence to confirm that.

So therefore we have been told low fat food is good for us. Since low fat food tastes awful, they have lace it with cheap sugar (high fructose corn syrup) which has caused an epidemic of diabetes and obesity.

The other big medical fraud is about salt being bad for us. It isn't it is an essential mineral.

dysonsphere

Another issue is the powerful but often misinformed medical lobby. They have told us for 40 years that fat is bad for us, but there was never any evidence to confirm that.

So therefore we have been told low fat food is good for us. Since low fat food tastes awful, they have lace it with cheap sugar (high fructose corn syrup) which has caused an epidemic of diabetes and obesity.

The other big medical fraud is about salt being bad for us. It isn't it is an essential mineral.
True no salt you die but to much can kill you as well but the body can cope with excess salt to a degree it cant cope with none at all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

*Too much* fat is bad for you, it makes you, umm, fat. Too much salt is bad for you.

Eat fresh meat, fruit and vegetables in the right quantities and you won't have a problem.

Dieseldriver

When I was a young child, my Dad went to work one night. He was involved in a serious incident and died of his injuries. I'm quite pro health and safety funnily enough...

NSEFAN

Established Member
QueensCurve said:

However, it's not the medical lobby that publishes misleading and scaremongering articles full of half-truths about the wrong kind of fat, or vaccines causing autism, etc. :roll:

dosxuk

Established Member

Option 3: use a ladder

Your only way of taking action against the company would be if they'd somehow signed off this hairbrained idea as being safe and expected you to do it. I suspect more likely legal action would come from the HSE towards both your employer and yourself for violations of the Health & Safety at Work Act. I also suspect that your employer would have used words like "we thought it was common sense that standing 5m up on a pallet on a forklift that isn't even set up correctly is a bad idea, so we didn't foresee it as a potential risk. Unfortunately for Mr Pigeon, it seems he was less endowed with common sense than we realised." at the inevitable court case.

dysonsphere

Option 3: use a ladder

Your only way of taking action against the company would be if they'd somehow signed off this hairbrained idea as being safe and expected you to do it. I suspect more likely legal action would come from the HSE towards both your employer and yourself for violations of the Health & Safety at Work Act. I also suspect that your employer would have used words like "we thought it was common sense that standing 5m up on a pallet on a forklift that isn't even set up correctly is a bad idea, so we didn't foresee it as a potential risk. Unfortunately for Mr Pigeon, it seems he was less endowed with common sense than we realised." at the inevitable court case.

most places have a safty cage that fits on the forks

dosxuk

Established Member
most places have a safty cage that fits on the forks

Indeed, and would be another way of gaining safe access, although I suspect a £35 ladder and training for a couple of people is significantly cheaper and no less safe.

That said, if you don't set the forks correctly, the cage itself then becomes another hazard. I don't really see the logic in publicly posting that they nearly killed themselves, and class it as a victory against H&S...

Status
Not open for further replies.