• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of England Rover Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon.

My mate and I are just finishing a 3 day HOE Rover. As part of today's plan we were going from Gloucester to Banbury today. Left Gloucester on time on a XC 170. Delayed on route to Worcestershire Parkway, missed the connection to Oxford. Delay would have been just over an hour. Cross Country have said they won't pay delay repay as we didn't complete journey. (We gave up heading East, went West instead).

Are they right or can we claim and if so how?

Much appreciated.

CS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zero

Yes they are correct, you did not go to Oxford in the end so your journey to Oxford was not delayed, thus not eligible for delay repay.

You could potentially claim for a delay from Gloucester to Worcestershire Pky but if it was the 1049 from Gloucester that you took, that was only about 12 minutes late so not within the threshold for claiming.

If you had a single or return ticket Gloucester-Banbury you could have returned to Gloucester and obtained a full refund.

You've got the service correct.

Seems odd, chose to abandon my journey as was going to be 60min late, yet can't claim?

Would have been worth going then claiming rather than not bothering!?

NorthWestRover

Established Member
That's normally why I don't claim on a rover as I abandon my journey and go elsewhere. Obviously if I had a fixed destination (say, a hotel), then I'd claim.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You can claim a refund for abandoned journeys but such a refund will always take into account any use you've made of the ticket, which is impossible really on a rover.

I'd write in to XC and ask them to consider a goodwill gesture.

ash39

Established Member
They are not cheap tickets. If you buy one and have a realistic itenerary with connections that allow the minimum recommended time, surely you are entitled to some of that money back if you are unable to complete your itinerary?

The consensus on this thread seems to be that if the OP had waited at Worcestershire Parkway for an hour and caught the next train to Oxford, he would have been entitled to delay repay. As he chose to do something else to not waste the value of the ticket, he is not entitled t the delay repay? Doesn't seem right to me.

londonteacher

They are not cheap tickets. If you buy one and have a realistic itenerary with connections that allow the minimum recommended time, surely you are entitled to some of that money back if you are unable to complete your itinerary?

The consensus on this thread seems to be that if the OP had waited at Worcestershire Parkway for an hour and caught the next train to Oxford, he would have been entitled to delay repay. As he chose to do something else to not waste the value of the ticket, he is not entitled t the delay repay? Doesn't seem right to me.
But the OP didn't complete the journey, they chose to change it.

So no they probably wouldn't be entitled to any delay repay.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You've got the service correct.

Seems odd, chose to abandon my journey as was going to be 60min late, yet can't claim?
For it to count as an abandoned journey, you would need to immediately return to the point of origin, thus making no effective use of the ticket.

For a multi day Rover this would likely be problematical, however. But for a Single or Return, you could do that if your journey was going to be pointless, and the ticket could be submitted for a refund, rather than Delay Repay.

Would have been worth going then claiming rather than not bothering!?
That is right; to be eligible for Delay Repay you do need to make the journey. If the journey is incomplete then you should be able to claim for the journey you did make.

1955LR

As its a Ranger ticket, I would not claim delay repay but contact the TOC and ask for compensation for a disrupted journey as you couldn't complete the planned one. I have done similar when I have abandoned a journey on an open ticket due to cancelled train , they have to of course accept your word that you were going to take the train concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.