• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales in trouble this week? (from 16.10.17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Service levels seem to be suffering this week. Anyone know what's going on?

Last trains around 110 late on Monday - possibly storm related?

And morning commuter service to Llandovery-Swansea appears to have been caped for the past two days. When you only have five trains a day, and your most important service is nixed, it must kind of put you off letting the train give you strain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JetStream

I know on Monday it ended as badly as it did due to a tree/trees on the line, so that's that - not sure about Llandovery-Swansea.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I know on Monday it ended as badly as it did due to a tree/trees on the line, so that's that - not sure about Llandovery-Swansea.

Hmm. Thks. I had wondered if that was the cause. I wonder if the Carmarthen men just got out and pulled the darn thing off the tracks?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I wish you'd asked on the day as I can't trace anything now. There is something about signalling problems at the back of my mind though.

craigybagel

Established Member
Several units got clobbered in various ways by bad weather over the last few days,so as a result there have been quite a few part and full cancellations to keep the most important trains running. Until a couple of years ago that early Llandovery service didn't even exist so it's probably a better candidate for cancellations then most other morning services.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Due to shortage of units, 33 Cancellations and 16 part cancellations tomorrow. Main pattern is some Fishguard trains, Blaenau Ffestiniog Branch (Bustitution) , and some Cambrian trains cancelled. Some services curtailed involve Cardiff to Cheltenham with XC Cardiff to Nottinghams calling additionally as required. Pembroke Dock services running only west of Carmarthen where there are connections to/from Swansea.

Established Member
It isnt just the HOW that has been affected 2B53 09:10 Swansea to Cardiff Swanline service has been cancelled all week. This means a four and half hour wait between trains at those stations. In fact it is even cancelled already for tomorrow.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It isnt just the HOW that has been affected 2B53 09:10 Swansea to Cardiff Swanline service has been cancelled all week. This means a four and half hour wait between trains at those stations. In fact it is even cancelled already for tomorrow.

There has been bustitution or Special stops on the fasts.

Established Member
There has been bustitution or Special stops on the fasts.

Bustitution may have taken place but is poorly advertised and i doubt not many will know about or where it will stop at there station. Special stop orders have not taken place, which is what normally happens.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Bustitution may have taken place but is poorly advertised and i doubt not many will know about or where it will stop at there station. Special stop orders have not taken place, which is what normally happens.

I only picked some of the info up through ATW Twitter with nothing posted on Journey Check

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Was in dire trouble 30 years ago today with the bridge collapse at Glanrhyd , with 4 lives lost , including the train Driver ......RIP.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Due to shortage of units, 33 Cancellations and 16 part cancellations tomorrow. Main pattern is some Fishguard trains, Blaenau Ffestiniog Branch (Bustitution) , and some Cambrian trains cancelled. Some services curtailed involve Cardiff to Cheltenham with XC Cardiff to Nottinghams calling additionally as required. Pembroke Dock services running only west of Carmarthen where there are connections to/from Swansea.

Early Morning MCN to Barmouth & return and the commuter train into Shrewsbury got reinstated however the 0625 ex Shrewsbury and its entire diagram have been cancelled on Cambrian.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Was in dire trouble 30 years ago today with the bridge collapse at Glanrhyd , with 4 lives lost , including the train Driver ......RIP.

Oh, indeed. That was a rum do. Swansea man, wasn't he? Don't suppose there are many left on the job who remember today.
I suppose the only positive was that it was the very early morning train - so very few on board.

squizzler

Established Member
Service levels seem to be suffering this week. Anyone know what's going on?

Last trains around 110 late on Monday - possibly storm related?

Funny enough I was on the 1821 departure from Swansea as far as Llandrindod. Obviously departure was delayed due to the train getting in late. But progress was good until the Sugar Loaf climb. There was a tree down and so we waited till the permanent way people came and dealt with it. Since we had to proceed in that direction, the train crew gave gangers and their saws a well deserved lift back to their truck at Cynghordy. The train was struggling for traction and the engine was racing as the wheels clawed for grip - the driver had said while waiting for the tree that he was not sure we would get up the summit due to low adhesion. I don't know why the train lost further time after Llandrindod but I guess there may have been a speed restriction due to winds. Or the wheels had been worn to a small diameter that reduced the top speed:)

Oh, indeed. That was a rum do. Swansea man, wasn't he? Don't suppose there are many left on the job who remember today.
I suppose the only positive was that it was the very early morning train - so very few on board.

The only positive I see is that they had to invest in the line to rebuild the bridge and get the line back into service. And lessons were hopefully learned (although the WCML in Scottish border country came perilously close to a similar bridge washout a couple of years ago)

6Gman

Established Member

And - if I recall correctly - the local farmer (and rugby player) who was first on the scene later committed suicide having been affected by what he encountered. A fifth victim.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
And - if I recall correctly - the local farmer (and rugby player) who was first on the scene later committed suicide having been affected by what he encountered. A fifth victim.

6 I think - a local PW man had a stroke / heart attack either on site , or before he could be attended to medically ...

I still think that the young lad en route to Llandovery School and Driver Churchill ought to have been commended in arears for their humane effort to get the elderly couple out of the semi-submerged vehicle. Total hero's.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Funny enough I was on the 1821 departure from Swansea as far as Llandrindod. Obviously departure was delayed due to the train getting in late. But progress was good until the Sugar Loaf climb. There was a tree down and so we waited till the permanent way people came and dealt with it. Since we had to proceed in that direction, the train crew gave gangers and their saws a well deserved lift back to their truck at Cynghordy. The train was struggling for traction and the engine was racing as the wheels clawed for grip - the driver had said while waiting for the tree that he was not sure we would get up the summit due to low adhesion. I don't know why the train lost further time after Llandrindod but I guess there may have been a speed restriction due to winds. Or the wheels had been worn to a small diameter that reduced the top speed:) ...
Any idea why? Wet + leaves or ... ?
Thank you for the report.
Out of interest, how many passengers were still on the train with you into Llandod - did you notice?

squizzler

Established Member
Any idea why? Wet + leaves or ... ?
Thank you for the report.
Out of interest, how many passengers were still on the train with you into Llandod - did you notice?

I suspect railhead conditions would be due to the sheer quantity of leaves blown off the trees, as it was not especially wet. The Heart of Wales line often has overhanging foliage brushing the outside of the windows. Some parts are pretty remote with not a house to be seen. Add a dark stormy night and the effect is reminiscent of the famous Twilight Zone "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" except the gremlin in this case is armed with a branch and giving the DMU a "damn good thrashing", Basil Fawlty style.

There were on the section concerned only two of us passengers. Once the tree was freed we were joined for a bit by the two gangers so that would make a 2:1 ratio of staff to passengers! I think we were joined by more at Llanwrtd, and a couple with three dogs joined at Builth Road.

Envoy

Established Member
It is a pity that Network Rail don’t get rid of all these trees and bushes by the railway. Not only do we have the leaf problem at this time of year but they also block the views across the countryside. They should do this this during the winter - prior to the start of the nesting season in mid February.

Status
Not open for further replies.