• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales Pullman (17/07) - In some bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just wondering if this has run into issues? It has been sat south of Cynghordy for about thirty minutes when it should be approaching Llandrindod at this point. Anyone have any information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Just wondering if this has run into issues? It has been sat south of Cynghordy for about thirty minutes when it should be approaching Llandrindod at this point. Anyone have any information?
Failed at Cynghordy with the front power car shut down.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This story is still developing about the above Charter stuck at the start of the steep climb up the Sugar Loaf and at a stand ay Cynghordy due to one of the HST Power Cars with an engine out. The latest news is that the driver was still trying to coax something out of it.

anthony263

Established Member
Theres conflicting reports.

I've heard the rear power shut down not far west of Cardiff leaving the front one to carry on. Heard then the front power car failed but the train carried on after the rear power car was restarted but its failed again.

There was a video of the train and you couldn't hear much of the front power car but the rear power car sounded like it was under power

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Information on the train, such as its been, has been that it was the front power car. I did think the train was proceeding noticeably slowly all the way along the Heart of Wales line until we came to a stand at Cynghordy. And indeed when we set off it was a considerably more sprightly pace!

anthony263

Established Member
Information on the train, such as its been, has been that it was the front power car. I did think the train was proceeding noticeably slowly all the way along the Heart of Wales line until we came to a stand at Cynghordy. And indeed when we set off it was a considerably more sprightly pace!
I think its going to be a rescue job unless the staff can resurrect one of the power cars however if that happens would they risk sugar loaf tunnel

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think its going to be a rescue job unless the staff can resurrect one of the power cars however if that happens would they risk sugar loaf tunnel

Well we've made it through that tunnel already under our own steam so fear not! :lol:

Performance is considerably better now so you can tell both power cars are working.

railnut21

Well we've made it through that tunnel already under our own steam so fear not! :lol:

Performance is considerably better now so you can tell both power cars are working.
Fair play to a cracking team of people to get it going again

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
161 Late at Llanwrtyd. Understand fitters (from where I don't know) attended and managed to get both engines running.

TEW

Established Member
161 Late at Llanwrtyd. Understand fitters (from where I don't know) attended and managed to get both engines running.
Was just the staff already onboard who managed to get it going. Not sure if it was the driver or fitter or a combination.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why does Basil Fawlty spring to mind? :lol:

Well. Unlike some, I was unable to alight but if I had been I'd have been willing to give it a good thrashing if the fitter thought it would help :lol:

Trackman

Established Member
With a bucket of water and a hammer I guess !
Historically speaking; HST's are known not to like heatwaves.

Killingworth

Established Member
Very comfortable aboard, aircon fine! 'Only' about 140 down at Crewe! The culprit, itself a late substitute last night.

Attachments

• 20210717_140914.jpg
    20210717_140914.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yeah that was due to not having to wait 40 odd minutes at Knighton for a service train to pass.
``

But it clobbered 2V41 at Knighton for nearly half hour waiting to cross although it was late already. I recall when I was working a service DMU making up 50 minutes between Shrewsbury and Llanelli

LRV3004

Was hoping to view it at Stockport with my son - saw it trigger Real Time Trains eventually at 161 late while sat in Pizza Hut! Wasn’t keeping my son out that late so it was back to mine for a game of football on the grass outside instead! I sort of saw it though - watched it depart Crewe courtesy of the railcam live feed on YouTube!

Trackman

Established Member
It left Stockport but hasn't tracked since. Is it struggling again, or perhaps diverted to Piccadilly?
Terminated at P5 Manchester Piccadilly I've just read.
edit: reported transport from Crewe for Pax. Something to do with a possession in the Manchester area I gather.

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Terminated at P5 Manchester Piccadilly I've just read.
edit: reported transport from Crewe for Pax. Something to do with a possession in the Manchester area I gather.
A lot more left the train at Crewe than had boarded in the morning. The unit returned to Crewe from Piccadilly picking up its intended path from Preston so crew were a few minutes early back to base.

The delay was taken philosophically by those around us, for Wilmslow and Stockport. Of mature years there was speculation, rumour and wild imagination of cause and solutions. If the aircon had failed I'm sure it would have been different.

It was about 26-28 degrees from Cardiff to point of sit down. That can't have helped locomotives built for speed, be they old or young, on a line with many 10mph slows and stops and starts for obscure crossings.

As it happens we sat down across such a crossing. Two walkers waited about half an hour before being allowed to walk round the train. The occupants of the one house up the track drove down and went back up.

2V41 heading south was probably held at Craven Arms until it was known that a relief locomotive wasn't being despatched from Shrewsbury. There was speculation and rumour about that, not least how it would have been crewed.

An interesting day which left me with greater sympathy for those getting stranded in less comfortable HSTs in the cold, wild darkness up around Dalwhinnie

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
2V41 heading south was probably held at Craven Arms until it was known that a relief locomotive wasn't being despatched from Shrewsbury. There was speculation and rumour about that, not least how it would have been crewed.

No, 2V41 had unrelated token issues.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Adds to the challenge of running specials down that long single track line!
Worth it though! Even with the delay I was so pleased to have finally ticked off that line and what a wonderful line it is! Plus HST first class carriages are a far nicer way to travel than a 153 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.