• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wessex day ranger expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Good news.

I wonder who exactly decides the Ranger / Rover validity areas? Perhaps they could look at the Lincolnshire Day Ranger and get it to cover Barton on Humber / Gainsborough Central / Scunthorpe?

dorsetman

Not seen any posts of this so far but the heart of wessex day ranger has been expanded to now inlcude the Severn Beach branch and Piling/Bristol - Swindon.

Pewsey is also shown on the map for this ticket as well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr75310d0a040002014434542455b740/details.html

Price is still £10.50 according to National rail enquiries

Extended area doesn't start until 20 May. Price will be increased slightly. National Rail website has been showing new area incorrectly for a long time.

wintonian

Established Member
Extended area doesn't start until 20 May. Price will be increased slightly. National Rail website has been showing new area incorrectly for a long time.

Well if they are advertising it as as available in a particular area they can't then say its not, can they?

After all it is their error and not the passengers.

Pen Mill

Not seen any posts of this so far but the heart of wessex day ranger has been expanded to now inlcude the Severn Beach branch and Piling/Bristol - Swindon.

Pewsey is also shown on the map for this ticket as well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr75310d0a040002014434542455b740/details.html

Price is still £10.50 according to National rail enquiries
10.50 is the concessionary price ,full price is £15.90.
I believe it used to be 9.90 concession and 15.00 previously.

TEW

Established Member
FGW have always been quite good at rovers. They introduced all the Thames Valley area ones I believe. They are now expanding the Heart of Wessex and Thames Valley ones and introducing a new Cotswold one. They were also involved in turning the Cornish Day Ranger into the Ride Cornwall which has validity on buses as well as trains.

John @ home

Established Member
ATOC would abolish all rovers if they could
This surprises me. As far as I am aware, all Rovers and Rangers are neither regulated nor protected fares and exist only where train companies or PTEs choose to offer them.

louis97

Established Member
I have also heard that the Thames Branches Day Ranger is to be extended to Reading West, Tilehurst and Winnerish Triangle, with a small fare increase. With this is mind, I wonder if there are any other FGW rangers/rovers being extended!

Rover

Those fares are correct at present, but will increase from 20 May.

The new fares will be £17.50 adult, £8.75 child, £11.55 concessions.
A 10% increase.

Kev
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have also heard that the Thames Branches Day Ranger is to be extended to Reading West, Tilehurst and Winnerish Triangle, with a small fare increase. With this is mind, I wonder if there are any other FGW rangers/rovers being extended!

That is correct, the price is increasing by 6.7%.
http://railrover.org/pages/thames-branches-day-ranger-20may.html

There are no other changes though. Maybe next year?

Kev
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FGW have always been quite good at rovers. They introduced all the Thames Valley area ones I believe. They are now expanding the Heart of Wessex and Thames Valley ones and introducing a new Cotswold one. They were also involved in turning the Cornish Day Ranger into the Ride Cornwall which has validity on buses as well as trains.

But try finding them on their website!

Kev

TEW

Established Member
They used to have a very good section about them on their website, unfortunately when they updated it recently they removed it. The information on it was more accurate than on NRE's website as well. They still produce good leaflets about them which can be picked at stations, it's just a shame the pdf's of the leaflets cannot be found online anymore.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Surely if they are showing that as the area, then that is the area.
There is no "the website is incorrect" about it.
If that is what is advertised and so sold, then that is what is valid.
You cannot hide behind "but the website is wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.