• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wessex Train Loco Hauled services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these still exist during the Summer? I have been reading about them on the web - is this just not up to date information??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
nope, the bournemouth xc are extending to weymouth, and SWT are doubling frequency, but no specials.
Have heard there will be saturday steam specials to weymouth all summer though

Schnellzug

Established Member
Anything special running during the Olympics?

According to the Timetable, there is an extra Cardiff-Weymouth train leaving Bristol T.M. @ approx 0805. I suppose it'll be units, but in the summer you get quite an unpredictable assortment of random stock, particularly at Weekends.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
* i also notice, as an aside, that the old 'Heart of Wessex Line' logo has been applied to one or two of the 150/1s, 150125 for one.

Eagle

Established Member
nope, the bournemouth xc are extending to weymouth, and SWT are doubling frequency, but no specials.
Have heard there will be saturday steam specials to weymouth all summer though

SWT aren't doubling frequency (that would be 4tph to and from Waterloo, which would be a nightmare to path over the single track part of the SWML).

Unless you're referring to the doubling from 1 to 2tph, which started back in 2009 and is permanent.

richw

Veteran Member
Unless you're referring to the doubling from 1 to 2tph, which started back in 2009 and is permanent.

Yes, didnt realise this had been in place for 3 years, always thought it was a 1tph schedule

anthony263

Established Member
Seems FGW could be usinga hst on the Cardiff - Taunton route to release some dmu's to provide extra capacity down to Weymouth.

More than likely the hst's will be used on the old loco hauled diagrams when class 67's were used until a few years ago on the Cardiff - Taunton/Paignton circuit.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Seems FGW could be usinga hst on the Cardiff - Taunton route to release some dmu's to provide extra capacity down to Weymouth.

Bit of a change from the sprinters that normally make up that service (or even the pacer which has made it up at least a couple of times I have used it).

Would be interesting to see if this actually happens, as usually I can save a bit of money visiting my girlfriend (who lives in North Devon) by booking an advance fare that involves the Cardiff - Taunton service. Usually I avoid it because I would rather a 158 to bristol and a Voyager or HST from there, but if its a HST then that would be pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.