• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Connect suspended all day (13/10/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjohnson

Due to "large number of trains are requiring urgent repairs" according to NRE.

Is this something that has gone drastically wrong with the 360s overnight? Or is it a repeat of the previous 332 issue (where HEx found defects the 332s, so "borrowed" the 360s resulting in no units available to run the Connect service...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
Rtt said that it was due to a fault with the overhead line equipment so I wonder if someone nicked the cable at heathrow junction that leads to the slow tracks

matt_world2004

Established Member
Where do the 360s get kept overnight?
The hex depot I believe in ooc. Unless they have been moved to the crossrail one

For a bit of humour ticket acceptance has been arranged by gwr on London buses running between Swindon/Heathrow and paddington :D

JN114

Established Member
A significant number of HEX units (both 332s and 360s) sustained pantograph damage yesterday. HEX are running a reduced service with single unit formations; there are 2 360s out; one on the Inter-Terminal Shuttle and one on a Connect circuit.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Very long handled boltcroppers, stood on a dry rubber mat, wearing 10 pairs of marigolds?

(Disclaimer: Don't do this. I am not suggesting doing it. Just no.)
I thought they somehow disrupted the power supply either by blowing a transformer box or chucking something on the cables to cause a short circuit. There have been people who have died of electric shock during cable thefts

For example
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25447936

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
I was in no way serious about that being a way to do it.

Sounds like that's exactly the method the guy in the article attempted. Evidently what killed him was the residual voltage in the wires when they had already been cut, and the circuit broken.

I'm surprised he survived cutting a live overhead wire in the first place given everything we hear about the ability of AC to arc.

JN114

Established Member
What caused the damage yesterday?

Not sure at this stage - the same issue did happen a year or so ago and then it was eventually traced down to some damaged OHL droppers on the Airport Branch which were chipping the carbons on the pans. The symptoms are very similar; and as far as I’m aware GWRs 387s and IETs are undamaged.

OHLE inspections and cabrides by OHL staff are ongoing.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Sounds like that's exactly the method the guy in the article attempted. Evidently what killed him was the residual voltage in the wires when they had already been cut, and the circuit broken.

I'm surprised he survived cutting a live overhead wire in the first place given everything we hear about the ability of AC to arc.
Never mind, one less of the vermin. These thefts do tend to attract a very low IQ community.

broadgage

Never mind, one less of the vermin. These thefts do tend to attract a very low IQ community.

I feel very sorry for railway staff and emergency services personnel who have to deal with the aftermath of these deaths, but for the thieves themselves, no sympathy whatsoever.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Not sure at this stage - the same issue did happen a year or so ago and then it was eventually traced down to some damaged OHL droppers on the Airport Branch which were chipping the carbons on the pans. The symptoms are very similar; and as far as I’m aware GWRs 387s and IETs are undamaged.

OHLE inspections and cabrides by OHL staff are ongoing.

Once you leave NR metals onto the Heathrow branch, who's responsible for inspections and maintenance of the infrastructure?

Taunton

Established Member
Once again the Connect takes the mantle for the most unreliable service in London, and entirely down to the operator's prioritisation of their Express service over the Connect, including robbing the latter's rolling stock for the former.

I feel someone at Express HQ must have a death wish, and/or know that come the end of the HEx agreement it will never ever be renewed, so milk it while they can. Roll on Crossrail.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
There was damage to the OLE on Line 3 outside Paddington, which I imagine then caused further damage to every pantograph that subsequently ran over (under?) the same section. At least it happened this week and not next Monday morning - that would be embarrassing.

GW43125

Established Member
Not high voltage stuff!

This guy won a Darwin Award for it... http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2001-16.html

(2001, Scotland) Electric trains in Glasgow collect power from the overhead cable, and transmit any excess through the rails to a solid copper cable that routes it to a power redistribution box.

Copper is a favorite target for thieves. One enterprising fellow with a good knowledge of the electrical system planned to cut the copper cable during the time between trains, when no electricity was travelling through it. His plan might have worked... but for one small flaw.

In the pocket of his charred overcoat, police found an out-of-date rail timetable. The train arrived ten minutes before he thought it would, sending hundreds of volts of electricity through the thief's hacksaw and into his body, and putting an untimely end to his career.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Regardless of how someone meets their end, do you not think it's a bit distasteful to revel in the death of a human being? Sure they were criminals but they were also someone's son or brother or father. Who's to say that under certain circumstances you wouldn't have ended up being foolish or misguided enough to end up on that path?

Get a grip, all of you. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.