• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Express --- do they follow NRCoC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
This is a hypothetical for future trips.

Since I now have a season ticket valid from London to Basingstoke via Reading, let's say I want to catch a flight at Heathrow. Let's say I can't be bothered with the Piccadilly (which would be free to me, given I have a travelcard as well) and say I want to get the Heathrow Express instead.

Do they comply with the normal ticketing rules? Can I get an Anytime Return from Hayes and Harlington to Heathrow and use a condition 19(c) split to use it with my season?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't know the answer to your specific question I'm afraid, but if not you certainly can use the Connect as it stops at the station where you change tickets.

greatkingrat

Established Member
There is a list of TOC's to which the NRCOC applies at the end of the document and Heathrow Express is not included (but Heathrow Connect is).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Heathrow Express is not part of National Rail and the National Rail Conditions of Carriage do not apply.

Heathrow Connect, however, is part of National Rail.

You'd be able to do what you propose on Heathrow Connect, but not on Heathrow Express.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Even if HeX were bound by the NRCoC, it would still not be valid as Travelcards are not valid on their services, and the only validity between Paddington and Hayes comes from the Travelcard element. (Of course if it were a London Terminals ticket this would be different...)

Starmill

Veteran Member
I seem to recall that the route from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Airport is a private railway, and there are no National Rail services on this section.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I seem to recall that the route from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Airport is a private railway, and there are no National Rail services on this section.
Indeed, although whether that will change when Crossrail comes along is anyone's guess.

Muzer

Established Member
So, just to clarify, how does the routeing guide work with an outboundary travelcard again? I seem to recall from when I used to frequent here a year or so ago that it was at the time not clearly defined, but that the commonly-held reasonable interpretation was that you could choose any zone 1-6 station and calculate a route to there for the "rail" portion of the journey? If this is the case, would this still "count" as using travelcard validity?

(Bearing in mind that the point is moot anyway since HX don't follow NRCoC so they don't necessarily have to honour a 19(c) split...).

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Its especially moot as they don't accept National Rail tickets full stop, except those to Heathrow Rail. You can't 19C split

RJ

Established Member
Last edited:
So do Heathrow Connect only follow the NRCOC between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington or do they follow the NRCOC between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow Airport as well?

LexyBoy

Established Member
So, just to clarify, how does the routeing guide work with an outboundary travelcard again? I seem to recall from when I used to frequent here a year or so ago that it was at the time not clearly defined, but that the commonly-held reasonable interpretation was that you could choose any zone 1-6 station and calculate a route to there for the "rail" portion of the journey? If this is the case, would this still "count" as using travelcard validity?

ATOC has clarified that Boundary Zone tickets are routed by checking routes from origin to a chosen station at the edge of Z6: those which do not pass through the zones before reaching this station, and are permitted by the NRG, are the permitted routes.

It would be reasonable to assume that the routeing for outboundary Travelcards is the same, as an inboundary TC + BZ ticket essentially constitutes the same thing (the BZ ticket is effectively an excess, it's not treated as a combination of tickets for C. 19).

As far as I can tell, National Rail Enquiries determines permitted routes from origin to destination, and offers a Travelcard whenever the destination is within the zones.

So do Heathrow Connect only follow the NRCOC between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington or do they follow the NRCOC between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow Airport as well?

Heathrow Connect operates services throughout the route, and they are listed in Appendix C of the NRCoC, so NRCoC applies through to Heathrow as fas as I'm concerned.

MarlowDonkey

Heathrow Connect operates services throughout the route, and they are listed in Appendix C of the NRCoC, so NRCoC applies through to Heathrow as fas as I'm concerned.

Expressing the question another way, if you had a London Terminals season from the other side of West Drayton, would it be valid to Heathrow Airport on Heathrow Express in combination with a Hayes to Heathrow ticket? By analogy, if you had a Maidenhead to London season, you could travel non-stop from London to Reading with a Maidenhead to Reading ticket in conjunction with the season.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Expressing the question another way, if you had a London Terminals season from the other side of West Drayton, would it be valid to Heathrow Airport on Heathrow Express in combination with a Hayes to Heathrow ticket? By analogy, if you had a Maidenhead to London season, you could travel non-stop from London to Reading with a Maidenhead to Reading ticket in conjunction with the season.

Heathrow Express? No, the NRCoC does not apply and the season has no validity on it.

Heathrow Connect? Yes, even on a hypothetical HC train which did not call at Hayes.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I remember that at one stage NRCoC were not meant to apply between Hayes and Heathrow on Heathrow Connect, but somehow in this edition of the NRCoC, there seems to be no exclusion in that respect.

All academic anyway, since all Connects stop at Hayes.

Status
Not open for further replies.