• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Express GWR Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
769s, whether decrepit or not, (will) have the ability to go to places that 379s can't, like Oxford.
And of course, as explained time and again, the long term purpose of the 769s is the North Downs, rather than vice 387s which is temporary.

JN114

Established Member
And of course, as explained time and again, the long term purpose of the 769s is the North Downs, rather than vice 387s which is temporary.

The long AND short term use of the 769s is North Downs (plus other Reading area workings) - the 387s will be covered by the Turbos released by 769s - this achieves the previously stated aim of keeping 769s on services worked solely by Reading drivers; and keeps them off the mainline where they’d need SDO to operate from the shorter platforms.

Saw a former colleague at Hex today who had some internal notices to say that the transfer of services to GWR operation has now been postponed until 1st November 2018.
Forgot to ask the reason. Another former colleague mentioned something about ORR unhappy at the safety case? Not sure how much of a bearing they would have on this?

JN114

Established Member
Saw a former colleague at Hex today who had some internal notices to say that the transfer of services to GWR operation has now been postponed until 1st November 2018.
Forgot to ask the reason. Another former colleague mentioned something about ORR unhappy at the safety case? Not sure how much of a bearing they would have on this?

A very similar-sounding notice has gone out to GWR staff as well; cites issues getting DfT approval for the transfer; but doesn’t go into the specifics. 1st November is indeed the date being worked to; staff will now be TUPEd over in phases.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It might be an issue withe requirement that any successor franchise to gwr take over the heathrow express concession

cb00

I find it surprising that a company like GWR has been awarded anything. I've lost count of the number of trains I've missed due to a lack of available train crew.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I find it surprising that a company like GWR has been awarded anything. I've lost count of the number of trains I've missed due to a lack of available train crew.

If you read the thread, you’d understand that it’s being awarded to the holder of the GW franchise as a management contract. It gets the HS2 out of building a new depot for HEx, basically.

mic505

Are there plans to introduce 319's (in original mode) on Reading-Paddington stopping services from December 2018, prior to 769
conversion from the May 2019 timetable change, in order to release refurbished 387's for Heathrow Express? Hence the 319's are
electric and can accelerate slightly quicker than the Turbos. This is a back up plan and to cover for delays to the Flex conversion, similar to what Northern are currently doing lol.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are there plans to introduce 319's (in original mode) on Reading-Paddington stopping services from December 2018...
Nothing official. Much Speculation has occurred in previous threads, but that’s all it’s ever been AFAICS.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Are there plans to introduce 319's (in original mode) on Reading-Paddington stopping services from December 2018, prior to 769
conversion from the May 2019 timetable change, in order to release refurbished 387's for Heathrow Express? Hence the 319's are
electric and can accelerate slightly quicker than the Turbos. This is a back up plan and to cover for delays to the Flex conversion, similar to what Northern are currently doing lol.

No because you would have to train up 3 depots worth of train crew!
They already sign 165s anyway, they are going to be on the reliefs anyway so acceleration doesn't matter.
The 769s will only use a handful of Reading based crew

pdeaves

Established Member
Two things:
  1. I have seen suggestions that the transfer target is now 1 November.
  2. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether GWR will take over station operation, or whether that will remain with the Heathrow company?
Thanks!

JN114

Established Member
Two things:
  1. I have seen suggestions that the transfer target is now 1 November.
  2. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether GWR will take over station operation, or whether that will remain with the Heathrow company?
Thanks!

1. That is the plan
2. At Paddington yes, Heathrow will continue to be worked under the current arrangement - HX/HAL providing customer service/booking office staff; and the Trains will DOO self-dispatch.

pdeaves

Established Member
Ah OK, so I guess no visible difference yet.
Only visible difference I saw is that many staff are in GWR uniforms. There may have been changes to announcements to "GWR Heathrow Express service", but I may have imagined that. I didn't tune in until too late and wasn't in Paddington very long to wait for another announcement.

Only visible difference I saw is that many staff are in GWR uniforms. There may have been changes to announcements to "GWR Heathrow Express service", but I may have imagined that. I didn't tune in until too late and wasn't in Paddington very long to wait for another announcement.
Yes Paddington dispatchers and gateline staff have been TUPed to GWR along with drivers. Were the ticket gates in use yet?

Chris125

Established Member
Have all the management, maintenance staff etc transferred to GWR too?

JN114

Established Member
Will train livery be changed or will it remain separate?

No branding changes planned for the 332s.

The HEx-dedicated 387s will likely get some form of GWR/HEx hybrid branding - exactly what that will entail is yet to be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.