• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Express GWR Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
No branding changes planned for the 332s.

The HEx-dedicated 387s will likely get some form of GWR/HEx hybrid branding - exactly what that will entail is yet to be revealed.
Hex might want to distance themselves from GWRs recent poor performance lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Train maintenance staff continue to be employed by Siemens.
Of course presumably only until the 387s take over. There’d be little point in the 332 maintainers being transferred to GWR for such a short period. I guess redundancy beckons, unless they go somewhere else with the trains, but most discussions so far suggest they won’t be reused.

Of course presumably only until the 387s take over. There’d be little point in the 332 maintainers being transferred to GWR for such a short period. I guess redundancy beckons, unless they go somewhere else with the trains, but most discussions so far suggest they won’t be reused.
Until 387s take over and / or until MTR doesn’t require use of the 360s.

The way things are these days I would be surprised to see the units reused. Maybe the 332s could salvaged for some spare parts for the 333s?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Until 387s take over and / or until MTR doesn’t require use of the 360s.

The way things are these days I would be surprised to see the units reused. Maybe the 332s could salvaged for some spare parts for the 333s?
Yes the same must apply to the 360s. Replacing them with 345s has gone a bit quiet as well hasn’t it. I suppose the Siemens staff are common to both Heathrow owned fleets?

Testing being undertaken on 345s at Heathrow with the in cab signalling but it keeps messing up. Possibly interference from ATP beacons.

Yes, Siemens techs common to both fleets.

FOH

Yes the same must apply to the 360s. Replacing them with 345s has gone a bit quiet as well hasn’t it. I suppose the Siemens staff are common to both Heathrow owned fleets?
I’m sure I read somewhere that these are earmarked to go to Bangkok

JN114

Established Member
So have there been any more changes?

No.

Next visible HEx-related changes will be 387130-142 going off for mods in the new year. First 387s into service on Heathrow branch summer next year.

FGW_DID

Established Member
The first 387 (387140) is already away at Ilford for the HEX Mods.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's the joined up thinking on the railway that I love.

The 332s are pretty much identical to the 333s. They could have come north instead of buying new (or instead of a few 319s). But no, off to the scrapyard they go.

Madness.

Chester1

Established Member

The 332s are pretty much identical to the 333s. They could have come north instead of buying new (or instead of a few 319s). But no, off to the scrapyard they go.

Madness.

Apart from the structural issues that took the whole fleet out of service for a few weeks... I think in 2016.

samuelmorris

Established Member

Madness.
and the considerable amount of work involved to make them compatible with any route other than Heathrow Airport.

Tom m

By all accounts the 332s are life expired, as many people have said they are worked very hard 7 days a week.

I wonder how the 387s will cope with being worked so intensively over a short route.

hwl

Established Member
By all accounts the 332s are life expired, as many people have said they are worked very hard 7 days a week.

I wonder how the 387s will cope with being worked so intensively over a short route.
Just fine, it helps when the operator looks after them and the ROSCO keeps a beedy eye on them too and insists everything is done right. The 332 didn't get a lot of suggested optional work over the years and this has now come back to bite!

JN114

Established Member
Just fine, it helps when the operator looks after them and the ROSCO keeps a beedy eye on them too and insists everything is done right. The 332 didn't get a lot of suggested optional work over the years and this has now come back to bite!

332s aren’t leased; they’re owned outright by Heathrow Airport. Another significant barrier to them going anywhere else. It’s all be done to death in the “future use of 332s thread”.

hwl

Established Member
332s aren’t leased; they’re owned outright by Heathrow Airport. Another significant barrier to them going anywhere else. It’s all be done to death in the “future use of 332s thread”.
That was my point Porterbrook will ensure the 387s are well looked after, there was no one doing that role for the 332s in HEx ownership and they didn't get some of the optional TLC that is sensible for the long term e.g. look at the Southern 377s (also PB) and the TLC they are getting.

ijmad

Established Member
I wonder if the result will be as 'luxurious' as the current 332 interior, or will they ultimately end up looking more like the Gatwick Express trains (which are nice, but feel mostly like a standard 387 with some extra luggage racks).

hozza94

Rumblings at the depot saying that the depot might still be in use during 2020 to maintain 360s as Heathrow in cab signalling testing not going so well.
Is this due to the ongoing problem of compatibility between old and new signalling systems or is it something else?

Muzer

Established Member
I wonder if the result will be as 'luxurious' as the current 332 interior, or will they ultimately end up looking more like the Gatwick Express trains (which are nice, but feel mostly like a standard 387 with some extra luggage racks).
"Improved seating" is listed as one of the options. I certainly know I won't be paying for Heathrow Express premiums if it requires travelling on ironing boards when much more comfortable seats are available on the 360s (assuming Crossrail still isn't sorted by then...).

Muzer

Established Member
Rumblings at the depot saying that the depot might still be in use during 2020 to maintain 360s as Heathrow in cab signalling testing not going so well.
But if the 332s are all gone there's nothing to stop them just getting rid of ATP and switching from the 360s to the 345s overnight, isn't there?

hwl

Established Member
As far as I know it is still the compatibility issue.
Given the 387s won't have GW-ATP will they be able to run on the Mains as today with out causing any issues to other services? (Before ETCS is rolled out on GWML)?

Muzer

Established Member
Given the 387s won't have GW-ATP will they be able to run on the Mains as today with out causing any issues to other services? (Before ETCS is rolled out on GWML)?
Yes, ATP is more of an overlay onto the existing lineside signals; it does not require every train using it to have ATP. 165s/166s have been running on the GW mains during engineering works for years without causing a problem (well, except for when they crashed ;)).

"Improved seating" is listed as one of the options. I certainly know I won't be paying for Heathrow Express premiums if it requires travelling on ironing boards when much more comfortable seats are available on the 360s (assuming Crossrail still isn't sorted by then...).
Isn’t the seating on the 360s the type all the SWT commuters moaned about?

But if the 332s are all gone there's nothing to stop them just getting rid of ATP and switching from the 360s to the 345s overnight, isn't there?
As long as the in cab signalling doesn’t work then further testing is needed until it does. ATP can’t be scrapped until a workable solution is found as there are no other safety systems on the airport branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.