• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
I understand that Heathrow Express now issues free train transfer tickets to passengers with connecting flights who need to transfer between any two of the three stations (Heathrow Central (Terminals 2 & 3), Terminal 4 and Terminal 5).

I believe that this has been introduced because the HEx stations at Heathrow (and the HEx platforms at Paddington) now have ticket gates or will shortly be gated.

Does anyone know how this works? Are free train transfer tickets automatically issued to passengers who book connecting flights that require a transfer between the Heathrow stations (and if so, how are they sent to passengers, as I would guess most people book flights online rather than through a travel agent these days), are they issued on board the plane before landing at Heathrow, or do such passengers have to present a copy of their flight itinerary or booking reference number at the HEx ticket office or gateline to obtain a free transfer ticket?

Also, are these free transfer tickets only valid on HEx and TfL Rail (formerly Heathrow Connect), or also on the Piccadilly Line?

There doesn't appear to be anything about this on the HEx website (which also still says you can buy tickets on board HEx trains).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I understand that Heathrow Express now issues free train transfer tickets to passengers with connecting flights who need to transfer between any two of the three stations (Heathrow Central (Terminals 2 & 3), Terminal 4 and Terminal 5).

I believe that this has been introduced because the HEx stations at Heathrow (and the HEx platforms at Paddington) now have ticket gates or will shortly be gated.

Does anyone know how this works? Are free train transfer tickets automatically issued to passengers who book connecting flights that require a transfer between the Heathrow stations (and if so, how are they sent to passengers, as I would guess most people book flights online rather than through a travel agent these days), are they issued on board the plane before landing at Heathrow, or do such passengers have to present a copy of their flight itinerary or booking reference number at the HEx ticket office or gateline to obtain a free transfer ticket?

Also, are these free transfer tickets only valid on HEx and TfL Rail (formerly Heathrow Connect), or also on the Piccadilly Line?

There doesn't appear to be anything about this on the HEx website (which also still says you can buy tickets on board HEx trains).
These tickets are obtained either from the machines at the relevant terminal's train station, or from the members of staff attending the barriers.

AY1975

Established Member
These tickets are obtained either from the machines at the relevant terminal's train station, or from the members of staff attending the barriers.

If you can get them from the machine, how do they stop anyone from using one of these free tickets who isn't entitled to use one? I presume the barrier staff and/or the on-train staff ask to see a copy of your travel itinerary or booking reference number?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If you can get them from the machine, how do they stop anyone from using one of these free tickets who isn't entitled to use one? I presume the barrier staff and/or the on-train staff ask to see a copy of your travel itinerary or booking reference number?
Anyone is entitled to them. Travel within the Heathrow area is free on all modes of transport - whether bus, Heathrow Express or Underground. Though for the Underground you will require a ticket and I don't think the Heathrow Express ones will be accepted. You won't be charged anything if you travel on Oyster or contactless.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone is entitled to them. Travel within the Heathrow area is free on all modes of transport - whether bus, Heathrow Express or Underground. Though for the Underground you will require a ticket and I don't think the Heathrow Express ones will be accepted. You won't be charged anything if you travel on Oyster or contactless.

Except that you will be charged if you join or alight the Piccadilly line at Hatton Cross despite Hatton Cross being in the free travel zone for buses.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Except that you will be charged if you join or alight the Piccadilly line at Hatton Cross despite Hatton Cross being in the free travel zone for buses.
Indeed: always best to check the Oyster single fare finder (or ltfares.com) to check your intended journey is actually free!

TFN

Anyone can just get those tickets from the transfer machines before the barriers.

Those tickets are accepted on LU if the inter-terminal transfer from T2&3 to T4 (and back) is running a reduced service (which is most of the time).

The amount of times I've seen people with the blue tickets going to Paddington saying (The staff gave it to me I thought it was free) is absolutely mind-blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.