• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Terminal 3 to Grays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
My other half and I are scheduled to land into Heathrow Terminal 3 at 2055 on 4 Oct 19. We need to get to Grays that night. I have an Annual Z1-2 Travelcard on Oyster with Annual Gold Card added. My other half has no tickets, only a PAYG Oyster or a contactless debit card. Grateful for some help - I've looked on brfares.com and found the following:

The only quoted Heathrow to Grays fares all include Heathrow Express usage and come out at £23.90 single each (railcard discount included). That is a total cost of £47.80 which includes paying again for the zones that I already have which I find irritating.

The cheapest options I could find are a daily Z1-6 Travelcard for my other half, so we can use TfL Rail to Paddington, at £8.60 plus a paper Upminster to Grays ticket at £2.70 (both with railcard discount). I don't want to mess around hopping on and off trains to touch in with contactless late at night. That means a total cost of £11.30 for her.

The cheapest option for me seems to be using my Oyster in contactless mode throughout, paying £3.95 for the Heathrow to Paddington stage (ie paying to Boundary Zone 2) and £2.85 for West Ham to Grays. A total cost therefore of £6.80 for me.

Can anyone come up with a cheaper way for us to get back (that doesn't involve using the Piccadilly line, given the time that we get back)? The best that I have managed is a total of £18.10 for the pair of us. Ta in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
A Railcard discounted single from Zone U1256 to Grays is £8.80, and would cover travel on the Underground from Heathrow on the Picadilly line to central London and thence other Tube lines to Tower Hill for Fenchurch Street or West Ham to connect with a c2c train to Grays.

It would not however cover travel on TfL Rail (what was Heathrow Connect).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The cheapest option for me seems to be using my Oyster in contactless mode throughout, paying £3.95 for the Heathrow to Paddington stage (ie paying to Boundary Zone 2) and £2.85 for West Ham to Grays. A total cost therefore of £6.80 for me.
I'm not convinced that it will charge this, but I don't know what it will charge. You should only have to pay for each zone once, but the combination of inflated fare from Heathrow and additional extension from Upminster complicates things. If you do use this method, please let us know what it actually charges.

Wolfie

Established Member
Thanks all. MikeWh will do - if it doesn't charge what I would sensibly be expecting I will be kicking TfL very rapidly indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.