• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Terminal 5 Chime

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi.

I really like the sound of the Bing bong for automated announcements at Heathrow Terminal 5, (weird as it sounds), but apart I cannot seem to find a decent quality recording of it. :( I really want one though, would anyone please by any chance have one or a link to one?

I don’t mean the jingle used by NS and for drivers on 700. They sound very similar but are not the same.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFN

The system used in T5 is the aviavox system. I can't find a good recording of one in Terminal 5 itself but Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar has the same chime, as heard here in this video with has decent sound (
).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It originated from Schiphol Airport where the Aviavox system was developed (I believe using one of their real in-person announcers to develop the voice, which is why it has a Dutch accent, and while I've not been there for ages it was always a bit freaky to hear her announcing manually).

This is about her:

All Aviavox systems use it, which must encompass well over 50% of airports in the world.

Aviavox have a Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIcZWOw8CwgT7uWgZKdzxg/videos though none seem to have a very clear version of the bong (which indeed isn't quite the same one as used by NS and on the 700s).

There's this:
which is KLM's Aviavox training video, but Aviavox there seems to be using the NS-style "bong" instead for some reason.

This one:
has it but isn't very clear.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The system used in T5 is the aviavox system. I can't find a good recording of one in Terminal 5 itself but Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar has the same chime, as heard here in this video with has decent sound (
).
Thanks so much; that’s brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernSystem

Not sure how i've got onto this niche, but here we are.

There is an alright clip here, but it kinda cuts out the last chime.

Otherwise, if you're alright with clipping it yourself, AviaVox has released some COVID-19 announcements which includes the chime here. Will still be looking out for a clean version but I think that's the best we can get for the moment.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I had too much time on my hands today. I've made an elongated version using Logic Pro X and a bit of reverb. Kinda resembles what I was looking for:

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not sure how i've got onto this niche, but here we are.

There is an alright clip here, but it kinda cuts out the last chime.

Otherwise, if you're alright with clipping it yourself, AviaVox has released some COVID-19 announcements which includes the chime here. Will still be looking out for a clean version but I think that's the best we can get for the moment.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I had too much time on my hands today. I've made an elongated version using Logic Pro X and a bit of reverb. Kinda resembles what I was looking for:
Ahh, many thanks, I appreciate that. That clip is three tones, whereas Heathrow is two, but I think the last two of the three in that clip is the exact two used in the terminal. So that's great! Thanks again.

Airline Man

).
And the English speaking woman’s voice in that video is the same as in T5.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And the English speaking woman’s voice in that video is the same as in T5.

That's the standard English speaking Dutch woman who is used in most English speaking announcements for Aviavox systems worldwide (though I recall there is an American voice as well, but not a UK English one). While it's an electronic voice, its base set of syllables* were recorded from one of the Schiphol announcement staff who also used to do (may still do, I've not been in years) manual announcements at Schiphol itself - it is/was odd hearing her with a more natural intonation!

* Aviavox is a quite clever hybrid - it's an electronic voice system and can say whatever you type into it, but does so using a base set of syllables recorded from a human in each language. Lots of info on their website. I'm surprised they've not gone into the railway market, it's quite a clever approach that would save recording long lists of stations. Probably has a lot in common with Siri and Alexa, I suspect, but predates them by well over 10 years.

Airline Man

That's the standard English speaking Dutch woman who is used in most English speaking announcements for Aviavox systems worldwide (though I recall there is an American voice as well, but not a UK English one). While it's an electronic voice, its base set of syllables* were recorded from one of the Schiphol announcement staff who also used to do (may still do, I've not been in years) manual announcements at Schiphol itself - it is/was odd hearing her with a more natural intonation!

* Aviavox is a quite clever hybrid - it's an electronic voice system and can say whatever you type into it, but does so using a base set of syllables recorded from a human in each language. Lots of info on their website. I'm surprised they've not gone into the railway market, it's quite a clever approach that would save recording long lists of stations. Probably has a lot in common with Siri and Alexa, I suspect, but predates them by well over 10 years.
Thanks for that. I never knew it was an electronic voice and I worked in Terminal 5. I've been in several airports around the world and heard the same voice. I thought one woman made her living doing airport announcements. I've even phoned the BAA to ask 'her' to put out passenger announcements for BA!

ryan270720@gma

Hi.

I really like the sound of the Bing bong for automated announcements at Heathrow Terminal 5, (weird as it sounds), but apart I cannot seem to find a decent quality recording of it. :( I really want one though, would anyone please by any chance have one or a link to one?

I don’t mean the jingle used by NS and for drivers on 700. They sound very similar but are not the same.

Thanks!
Hi,
So I did a quick look around since I have interest in the chime too and I think I found what your look for as this has 2 chimes. click this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.