• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow to Cardiff on a weekday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
Trying to figure out the cheapest way to get from Heathrow to Cardiff on a weekday morning without having to pre-book - due to being unable to figure out exactly when available to get going from airport.
I see that I can go from HAF (Terminal 4 rail station) to SWIndon for £27.20 if using the 9.52 or later from HAF. Change at Hayes & Harlington and then to Reading. It then tells me to board a train going to Temple Meads - which I would leave at Swindon to wait for one to Cardiff. SWI > CDF off peak = £22.50 so total = £49.70. Would I be allowed to simply catch the next train to Cardiff from Reading rather than having to change again at Swindon?

The through ticket price (off peak) is £51.30 so the saving of such a split is not worth the bother. Does anyone know of a cheaper way of doing it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Up to you, I personally don't think it's worth it for the sake of 2quid.

A SWI-CDF off peak single would be valid to travel direct from Reading to Cardiff in any case (in combination with the LHR -Swindon ticket, obviously!)

Swindon is the best split point for Cardiff to London tickets, but it's only noticeably cheaper on an Anytime

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely Didcot is the appropriate place to split?

Veteran Member
The super offpeak from HAY to CDF is only £45. The 140 bus runs every 7 min from Heathrow and costs £1.50 with contactless/Oyster at any time.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks guys for your speedy responses. If using the 140 bus, it looks like it might be a bit awkward for someone from abroad to find the ticket office at Hayes & Harlington station as it is in a temporary building due to modernisation. (I am enquiring for a foreigner). Something is wrong with the National Rail website as it keep s crashing - unless I use in the middle of the night! Anyway, on the GWR website, they do not make it easy to do a HAF > CDF through ticket without directing you to go via PAD and charging £72 +. Hmm....

So, it looks like it can be done by buying on the day a HAF (Heathrow) > SWIndon for £27.20 (9.52 or later on a weekday) plus a SWIndon > CDF off peak single for £16 (11.14am or later) to make a total of £43.20. (Earlier trains cost a few quid more but nothing like the ridiculous prices quoted by GWR for going via PAD).

Mention has been made of Swindon as a split for pay on the day PAD > CDF and vice versa. Doing another split at DIDcot reduces still further the pay on the day return tickets between the two capitals. However, not all trains stop at Didcot - which would break the ridiculous rule regarding splits.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Mention has been made of Swindon as a split for pay on the day PAD > CDF and vice versa. Doing another split at DIDcot reduces still further the pay on the day return tickets between the two capitals. However, not all trains stop at Didcot - which would break the ridiculous rule regarding splits.

Trains no longer need to stop at the station they pass through for a split to be valid, provided it's along a permitted route. So CDF-PAD split at DID is fine on all trains. IIRC, that change hadn't come in when I was in Cardiff BO, which would explain Swindon being regarded the "better" split

alistairlees

Established Member
Trains no longer need to stop at the station they pass through for a split to be valid, provided it's along a permitted route. So CDF-PAD split at DID is fine on all trains. IIRC, that change hadn't come in when I was in Cardiff BO, which would explain Swindon being regarded the "better" split
Oh yes they do. At least for these tickets anyway.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not sure where you're getting that idea from. Non-stopping splits are permitted you're combining a season ticket, ranger, rover, PTE product etc. with any (one) other ticket, but it never has been, and still isn't, the case on ordinary tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.