• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow to Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACL

Greetings. I am trying to advise a friend on the best way to get from Heathrow Airport to Gatwick Airport. He is flying to the UK on business, landing at Heathrow, and his wife is accompanying him, but flying a very inexpensive airline that will be arriving at Gatwick. (Two college age children, need I say more.) He asked me the best way to get from Heathrow to Gatwick. I have done a little research and found that a National Coach goes between the two airports several times an hour for between 12 and 25 Pounds, depending on departure time. But being a lover of the steel flanged wheel, I always prefer to travel by train. I would advise him to take the tube from Heathrow to either Kings Cross/St. Pancras or Blackfriars for 6 Pounds, then a train from either station to Gatwick for 10.40 Pounds. I noticed that there are trains with no changes about every 20 minutes. How would my friend request a ticket for one of those trains? Would he need to ask for a specific train company, or just ask for a "train to Gatwick"?

I should note that upon collecting his wife at Gatwick, they will renting a car and heading for a city on the Channel, not returning to London.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Coach/taxi or hire a car definitely. No point going into Central London with baggage unless you got a very long connection and want to sample the delights of London?

Barn

Established Member
Is it possible to hire the car from Heathrow - then he can pick up the good lady at Gatwick on their way to France?

Yes, unless the wife is the only driver in the couple, just hire the car a bit earlier at Heathrow. Well signposted journey around the M25. The only thing to check with the car hire company is whether the wife will need to be present on collection if she is going to be added as a driver.

signol

If you really want to do it on the cheap. Take the X26 bus from Heathrow to Croydon, then get any train down to Gatwick. £1.50 for the bus, £3 for the train. All with contactless payment card, no paper ticket needed.

signol

James Wake

Depending on time of arrival as well, as the X26 can get delayed in traffic quite regularly in peak hours. Another option is the £1.50 bus from Heathrow to Feltham (a 285 from Central Bus Station for Terminals 2 and 3) or a 490 from Terminal 4 or 5, then a South Western Railway service to Clapham Junction and then a Southern service to Gatwick Airport. Although as has been echoed, as long as you are able to drive and hire a car without your wife being present if she is going to drive it later, then that's the best option. If you are happy to tell us what time you land and which terminal you land into, someone may be able to give the definite best option.

londonbridge

Established Member
If you really want to do it on the cheap. Take the X26 bus from Heathrow to Croydon, then get any train down to Gatwick. £1.50 for the bus, £3 for the train. All with contactless payment card, no paper ticket needed.

signol

Do, however, consider the preferred transfer time between the two airports if considering this option. Boarding at Carshalton at 7.30am on a Saturday, the X26 averages an hour to get to Hatton Cross. Throw in the additional time between Hatton and Heathrow, and Carshalton and Croydon, and depending on the time/day of arrival you could be looking at two hours on the bus depending on the volume of traffic.

edit: James posted a similar analysis at the same time.

ACL

Thanks. I've forwarded all of this information to my friend and I'll let him sort out what he thinks is best for him. He's a pretty experienced traveler, but I go to the UK fairly often so he sought my advice.

cactustwirly

Established Member
If you want to avoid London completely and have some time on your hands, then you can get a HC/bus to Hayes station then you can get a train to Reading where you can change for another train to Gatwick. The journey is quite lengthy and probably expensive, but more scenic than via London.
Alternatively I would get the bus to Feltham, then the train to Gatwick changing at Clapham junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.