• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heatwave what Heatwave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
Found the debate about closing schools during a heatwave strange given most schools are air conditioned so kids are probably safer from the conditions there.

That being said this whole scaremongering about the heatwave is ridiculous. For many country’s across the world the temperature today and tomorrow is normal (if not quite cool) it’s forecast in London to possibly reach 102F tomorrow however in places like Riyadh and Dubai 115F is the norm during the summer.
Very few normal state schools have aircon, many are single glazed old & poorly maintained.

Most schools have abandoned lessons to let kids chill and are allowing parents to collect their kids at lunchtime or keep them home.

Funny how toff MPs with kids in private schools that have already closed for the summer are telling state school teachers & kids to fight on in their schools isn't it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welly

Peak temperature 34.2 deg C at my bench in my non-airconditioned workplace today.

mm333

The temperature at Leeds Bradford Airport has dropped 6 degrees in an hour (37° at 15:50 to 31° at 16:50) and that corresponds with other local weather stations on wunderground.com.

What would cause such a drop?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another good site is https://www.windy.com/

Right now York is one of the warmest parts of the UK and is warmer than anywhere in Italy and most of Spain.

I cycled home against a very warm breeze which was a bit surreal.

We are expecting rain and much cooler temperatures tomorrow.

nlogax

Established Member
Rain to the west of Glasgow now, also occasional rumbles of thunder. The petrichor coming in through the open doors is wonderful and almost overwhelming.

MikeWM

Established Member
40.3 Coningsby is indeed currently the leader according to the Met Office.

39.9 (!) at Cambridge NIAB. In July 2019 the Botanical Gardens came in at 0.6C higher than NIAB and took the record, but we won't know what their reported max is until tomorrow.

kristiang85

Established Member
Rain radar at 16:40 on 19/7/2022
View attachment 117937

Its heading east steadily

Annoyingly it broke up just as it reached Basingstoke, so I didn't get my planned Shawshank moment welcoming the rain. It does feel like its cooling down at least, but still a tad uncomfortable.
What would cause such a drop?

It is just a cooler band of air coming in, presumably due to a shift in direction.

simonw

Found the debate about closing schools during a heatwave strange given most schools are air conditioned so kids are probably safer from the conditions there.

That being said this whole scaremongering about the heatwave is ridiculous. For many country’s across the world the temperature today and tomorrow is normal (if not quite cool) it’s forecast in London to possibly reach 102F tomorrow however in places like Riyadh and Dubai 115F is the norm during the summer.
I think you will find that places such as Riyadh and Dubai have built environments designed to deal with that kind of heat.

MattA7

It rained here in Scotland for about half an hour (with thunder and lightning) has been noticeably cooler as well around 70F instead of 80 odd yesterday.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Annoyingly it broke up just as it reached Basingstoke, so I didn't get my planned Shawshank moment welcoming the rain. It does feel like its cooling down at least, but still a tad uncomfortable.

radar shows a brief shower for Basingstoke around 1715, although it is possible that the radar picked it up at cloud level but it evaporated before reaching the ground.

kristiang85

Established Member
radar shows a brief shower for Basingstoke around 1715, although it is possible that the radar picked it up at cloud level but it evaporated before reaching the ground.

Yep that was exactly it (I was following the same radar) - absolutely nothing here.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s two days outside painting in this completed and I think we got up to about 33 degrees a couple of times. I consumed lots of water!

It did rain for a bit around lunchtime today (I was on Dartmoor) which was quite pleasant. I had to try and time things so that I was painting whichever side of the building was in the shade but it wasn’t always possible…

MikeWM

Established Member
Yep that was exactly it (I was following the same radar) - absolutely nothing here.

That happened here yesterday afternoon - some quite heavy-looking, if localised, 'rain' passed over, but no evidence of it at ground level, just some very high clouds visible.

I suppose it shows the risk of planning things using these radars, which I do regularly :) - though in more normal times they tend to be pretty reliable in my experience.

kristiang85

Established Member
That happened here yesterday afternoon - some quite heavy-looking, if localised, 'rain' passed over, but no evidence of it at ground level, just some very high clouds visible.

I suppose it shows the risk of planning things using these radars, which I do regularly :) - though in more normal times they tend to be pretty reliable in my experience.

Sometimes swarms of flying ants can be mistaken for rain, too.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Being in the office today was great with the A/C. The problem was driving home (no A/C in my old banger!) I had to shut the windows of the car because the air outside was so hot. I really hope i never have to do that again...

Status
Not open for further replies.