• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hebden Bridge-Bradford signalbox closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

1 - generally track circuit block via relay interlocking or computer based interlocking using train describers to pass information between the boxes.
Milner Royd Junction is levers and colour lights. I believe Halifax and Mill lane are NX panels.
Of course there was a Signal Box at Dryclough Jct it closed in the 1970s I often went there with a friend of mine who was a Relief Signalman.
Thank you for correcting me. Just because I didn’t see something doesn’t mean it never existed.

http://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/318-calder_valley_line has some reasonably recent pictures of the boxes, inside and out. Should answer any questions about what equipment is there
This is a great archive. The pictures of Halifax East clearly show I was wrong about the ‘micro-levers’. In 45 years, I suspect some images in my mind have merged!

You’re not far off, as the others have said. Hebden Bridge offers the train to Milner Royd (a single beat for call attention, then 5 consecutive beats for ‘is line clear’ for a class 6 freight) whichever way it’s going. The former’s section signal (or intermediate block home, as I believe is the case here) is electrically locked until the latter accepts it and gives a ‘line clear’ (which will work for ‘one pull’ only). Two beats for ‘train entering section’ when it’s on its way, then Milner Royd sends ‘train out of section’ (2-1 preceded by call attention) once the train’s arrived complete with tail lamp - that’s important because it’s the only way of proving that’s the section’s clear again.
Thank you to you all who have explained how trains are passed from one box to another, what technology is required, and the rules to make sure it was operated properly.

Although I visit the area infrequently, the box at Milner Royd Jct has been a constant in my life, a reminder of being young and how I felt growing up at the time. I always look back at that time with affection. The world around me and the railway has changed immeasurably in 45 years, but to know that Milner Royd was tinging Halifax and Hebden Bridge in the same way as it was when I was a teenager gives me a warm glow. It’s its last day tomorrow and I will be toasting its past.

Would anyone like to guess what the last bell code will be for any of the boxes? Will it be 7-5-5?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Thank you for correcting me. Just because I didn’t see something doesn’t mean it never existed.

This is a great archive. The pictures of Halifax East clearly show I was wrong about the ‘micro-levers’. In 45 years, I suspect some images in my mind have merged!

Thank you to you all who have explained how trains are passed from one box to another, what technology is required, and the rules to make sure it was operated properly.

Although I visit the area infrequently, the box at Milner Royd Jct has been a constant in my life, a reminder of being young and how I felt growing up at the time. I always look back at that time with affection. The world around me and the railway has changed immeasurably in 45 years, but to know that Milner Royd was tinging Halifax and Hebden Bridge in the same way as it was when I was a teenager gives me a warm glow. It’s its last day tomorrow and I will be toasting its past.

Would anyone like to guess what the last bell code will be for any of the boxes? Will it be 7-5-5?

7-5-5 for absolute block working. There tends to be an emergency bell for track circuit block working to pass on train descriptions even if the description isn't passed in this way (just to confuse things more sometimes the bells are used rather than a computer train describer!) and I believe it's not unusual for boxes to be belled shut anyway for the final time.

Another tradition was for the last train to destroy the box's supply of detonators as a final salute and a practical means of disposing of them - there's a nice video on YouTube of a class 150 doing just that at Shirley signalbox!

crosscity

7-5-5 for absolute block working. There tends to be an emergency bell for track circuit block working to pass on train descriptions even if the description isn't passed in this way (just to confuse things more sometimes the bells are used rather than a computer train describer!) and I believe it's not unusual for boxes to be belled shut anyway for the final time.

Another tradition was for the last train to destroy the box's supply of detonators as a final salute and a practical means of disposing of them - there's a nice video on YouTube of a class 150 doing just that at Shirley signalbox!
There are a few YouTube videos of signalbox closures. Some seem to use 5-5-7. What is the difference between 7-5-5 and 5-5-7? What is most likely tonight at each of the four boxes?

Highlandspring

Established Member
5-5-7 is used as part of the procedure to close an Absolute Block signalbox with a block switch allowing it to switch out of the block circuit with signals cleared. 7-5-5 is used where a box can’t (or doesn’t for whatever reason) switch out.

crosscity

5-5-7 is used as part of the procedure to close an Absolute Block signalbox with a block switch allowing it to switch out of the block circuit with signals cleared. 7-5-5 is used where a box can’t (or doesn’t for whatever reason) switch out.
I'm a bit out of my depth here. From previous posters I got the message all of the boxes are 'track circuit block', not 'absolute block' as historically there were other boxes between them. On that logic 7-5-5 wins.

Will anyone be observing what actually happens at any of the boxes tonight? Unfortunately I will be stuck in Birmingham.

geoffk

Established Member
I'm a bit out of my depth here. From previous posters I got the message all of the boxes are 'track circuit block', not 'absolute block' as historically there were other boxes between them. On that logic 7-5-5 wins.

Will anyone be observing what actually happens at any of the boxes tonight? Unfortunately I will be stuck in Birmingham.
There will be a "closing ceremony" at Hebden Bridge tonight, involving local rail user and friends groups. I won't be there as I'm off early tomorrow. I'll ask if someone can record the final bell code.

lineclear

AB regulations apply between Milner Royd and Hebden Bridge, and through the section between Halifax and Mill Lane.

7-5-5 will be sent where AB regulations apply.

crosscity

There will be a "closing ceremony" at Hebden Bridge tonight, involving local rail user and friends groups. I won't be there as I'm off early tomorrow. I'll ask if someone can record the final bell code.
It's great to see that the closure will be witnessed. Hopefully someone will share a permanent record of the last train, ceremony and tings. I suspect Milner Royd and Mill Lane will be more private 'railway' affairs because of their siting. I wonder whether anyone will witness the end at Halifax, other than the signaller.

Halifax is interesting in that 2E35 the 2258 Manchester Victoria tonight is diverted and will reverse at Halifax (2342-2345, platform 2) and head to Leeds via Dryclough Jct and Greetland, followed immediately by the last train at 2347 (2W37 the 2217 York-Huddersfield) from platform 1. I presume the reason for the diversion of 2E35 is that normally it would pass Mill Lane after midnight.

richardsun

I was half tempted to pop down to Milner Royd later, but I'm not sure it's somewhere I want to be lurking around at midnight!

geoffk

Established Member
AB regulations apply between Milner Royd and Hebden Bridge, and through the section between Halifax and Mill Lane.

7-5-5 will be sent where AB regulations apply.
“The last bell code will be 7.5.5 and can be recorded. We will not be exploding detonators under trains.” I assume this is from Network Rail. Detonators were used at Oldham Mumps for the last train but of course that was a line closure.

crosscity

I was half tempted to pop down to Milner Royd later, but I'm not sure it's somewhere I want to be lurking around at midnight!
.....don't do it unless you know the signaller. It is protected by six-foot metal pallisade fencing. This includes the gate on the access road on Fall Lane.

richardsun

.....don't do it unless you know the signaller. It is protected by six-foot metal pallisade fencing. This includes the gate on the access road on Fall Lane.
Yeah didn't think I'd be able to get very near. Will have to make do with watching the last couple of trains from my window!

superkev

Established Member
Sadly I think Mill lane, Halifax, Milner Royd will be demolished although I hear Milner will stay for a short while as it contains some equipment. Hebden is listed so will remain. Not sure about its contents.
Nice if the other signal box contents find a home hopefully on public display but seeing the fate of Blackpool box I don't live in hope.
Halifax box would probably make a nice cafe if the council ever go through with the scheme to move the bus station next to the station.
K

Geeves

Established Member
I notice on Tracksy Mill Lane seems have got a final message to the outside world with RIP and BYE

I cannot remember the last time I heard of a signalling failure at Bradford Interchange but I am sure there will be plenty soon when the computer says no. Oh well such is progress.

crosscity

I notice on Tracksy Mill Lane seems have got a final message to the outside world with RIP and BYE
Railcam (which also has diagrams) shows GBYE and BYE- for Halifax, and BYE* for Milner Royd.

Also, the last train signalled by Halifax was the late running 5D95 the 23:24 Grand Central Bradford Interchange to Crofton Depot ecs working which left Halifax at 23:56, 21 minutes late. The last three trains (2E35, 2W37 and 5D95) left within the space of five minutes, following one another through Dryclough Jct and down the bank to Greetland Jct.
They can be seen on the diagram.
Halifax Sbox last trains.JPG All closed.JPG

Eric

I cannot remember the last time I heard of a signalling failure at Bradford Interchange but I am sure there will be plenty soon when the computer says no. Oh well such is progress.

I think it must be going on for five years.

M1544

All 4 boxes, Mill Lane Bradford, Halifax, Milner Royd and Hebden Bridge are being retained after closure.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
o say that Halifax is offically listed!
That is good news an important part of the setting of ‘fax station irrespective of what happens in any rebuild.

Its just a shame that the footbridge isn't also listed, the original station, the platform canopy and the canopy over 1 & 2 are but not the bridge. Makes a great view.

Attachments

• IMG_20170524_173200.jpg
    IMG_20170524_173200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

superkev

Established Member
Moving on from the east pennies can anyone point me as to what's happening to the signalling between Hebden and Manchester which is a mixture of Preston PSB and manual boxes.
K

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Assuming so Ploughman. The plan is that eventually all the boxes including Preston will be transferred to the ROC at Manchester. I think Preston is in the difficult pile at the moment.

Leyland155

Assuming so Ploughman. The plan is that eventually all the boxes including Preston will be transferred to the ROC at Manchester. I think Preston is in the difficult pile at the moment.

Would I be correct in saying that the only remaining boxes between Hebden Bridge and Manchester are Rochdale, Castleton East and Vitriol Works?

superkev

Established Member
Would I be correct in saying that the only remaining boxes between Hebden Bridge and Manchester are Rochdale, Castleton East and Vitriol Works?
For interest do any of these boxes have traditional levers. Dosent Castleton still have some semaphores?
Is there any approx dates for them closing onto Manchester ROC?
Thanks
K

Status
Not open for further replies.