• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heljan 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
I am thinking of getting a Heljan 47. I was just wondering what everyones' opinion is of them. For example, are they good runners ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There ok! my friend has one and it was ok untill we kept attching coaches and the coupling jsut falls out!!

richa2002

Established Member
Hmmmm. If anyone can get a vid of it running that would be great!

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
They are great. They are the best 47 model ever made and they do them in lots of different leviers so you can get lots of 'your old friends' and they run pretty well as well. I think overall they are the best production OO scale model you can get...

richa2002

Established Member
I agree with Jon. I don't think I will notice 2mm when running it around my layout. I probably would wait for the Bachmann examples but they never seem to release their locos in a variety of liveries. Always good ol' Blue & Green :?

ChrisM

Had one in RES livery,was a great runner and never noticed any problems with it.
Hattons are selling some off a little cheaper then most retailers but they are mainly the older models.

ChrisM

Richard Armstrong said:
Ah. What's different with the newer models ?
Newer batches have better packaging which stops any breakages in transit,they have foam inlay to stop any body cracking in transit (although mine arrived ok).
Not sure if they have any cosmetic changes.

O L Leigh

Established Member
86242 said:
Does 2mms really make any differance I would like to know if you could notice the differance in width between the Heljan and Bachmann 47...

I suppose that depends on how much you want your Cl47's to look like the real thing. If such things aren't so important, it begs the question why buy a Heljan Spoon over a Hornby or Lima one...?

Let's not forget that 2mm is a scale 6 inches. Besides, being too wide means that the loco's proportions are not correct in order to compensate for the error. It's not only that, but such issues become accentuated the minute you couple it up to a nice rake of whatever you're modelling.

In case you are wondering whether such things are noticeable, here are two views of Heljan Spoon compared directly to a Bachmann Bodysnatcher. See if you can spot the difference.

compare1.jpg

Click for bigger.

compare2.jpg

Click for bigger.

one TN

Demps

Wright if your running a yard and want to run prototypical speeds, i would wait for the bachy 47, the hely has a speed controller which isnt, how do i say, gradual accelaration, it will begin to shoot of at a certain speed and is not the best for crawling. Where as the bachy 47 is set to resolve these problems, only thing is u will have to wait for all the spicey liveries !. But if you are running a large larout with high speeds (prototypical, not rocket speeds) the 47 will be just fine.

Nick

Rich did you ever buy a Heljan Spoon or waiting for bachmanns?

The 158 Man

I had one a while ago and I was VERY disappointed!

1) - Too Expensive :angry6:
2) - Too Fast When Accelerating :hmph:
3) - Headlights Are CRAP :hmph:
4) - Pulling Power Is Atrocious :hmph:

The only good part is the detailing that comes with them. :happy6:

Nick

lol! Is it true there stopping making them now, because of Bachmann's new 47?
(I was thinking of buying a RES one, but I think I will wait and see what bachmann do)

The 158 Man

Yes. Heljan are ceasing production of their Class 47. :rr:

The Bachmann one should be interesting....................if they ever get round to doing any other liveries than BR Green / Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.