• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HELJAN 47's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Hi all, recently i decided to get my Heljan locos out to put a few on display, amoungst them i have 14 class 47's, i was somewhat surprised and gutted to find that two of them had seriously damaged bodies despite being in perfect condition when they were packed away, one had the body split in a corner at one end the other was split at both ends, having stripped them down and investigated i found that the chassis blocks on both models have expanded and both have bent and are now arch shaped, i measured up a good heljan 47 body shell up against these chassis and the body shell wont fit over the chassis explaining why the orinal bodies split.

My simple question is this, what the hell has happened to my locos? They were stored in the loft in a card board box, the loft suffers some temperture change but not to the extent that it would cause this damage, was there a faulty batch, is it something ive done and are my other loco's (including other manufacturers) at risk of suffering a similar fate.

Any feedback would be gratefull. :)

P.S I would return them but ive had them that long i can't remember where i purchased them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eos

Well known problem- Mazak-rot.
See RMWEB for a lot more info- Here's a link

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zZQBhQhb6DcJ:www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D11%26t%3D38536%26start%3D75+he ljan+class+47+chassis&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&sou rce=www.google.co.uk

OR this link

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26936

If that doesn't work , go to Google and search for "Heljan class 47".

Sorry to say it usually the end of the line for both the chassis and body, there is no known cure for the contamination in the material used for diecasting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.