• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hellifield on a Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I had a spare day on my Freedom of the North West Rail Rover 4/8 so thought I would get another trip on the S&C today however Sunday timings are a pain for public transport. Not daunted though I roughed out a plan:-

Bo'ness to Falkirk by bus then FKG - GLQ:GLC - LAN -HLD returning from HLD via the S&C to CAR then back to Linlithgow via EDB or GLC/GLQ.

What can you do in Hellifield from 12:48 to 13:44 on a Sunday? I could stay untill 15:50 and return via Lancaster depending on suggestions.

(This is accademic as I did not reset my clock and slept in - however I will make this journey in the near future as I wish to visit all stations on the S&C inc. the Airdale, Ribble Valley, & the Settle Jn. to Carnforth sections)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
IIRC there is (was) a canny pub not far from the Station. There is a Cafe on the platform, but the last time I was there it was shut. Not much else there to be honest!

jonb

Established Member
There is a pub (can't remember the name though!) about 10 - 15 minutes walk from the station in the village itself. It seemed nice enough when a few of us went last year.

a1a.a1a

Beware the Black Horse (that's it's name) it re-opens and closes down on a monthly basis (well, maybe not that often)... Get the number and give em a call B4! also WELL WORTH a visit is the Boars Head in Long Preston!!!!

VideozVideoz

Not much to do in Hellifield I'm afraid. Long Preston is no better but I prefer it over Hellifield. If Gargrave is an option there is more there (including a small Co-op shop)

ashworth

Established Member
If you enjoy walking and don't mind a fairly long walk to passd the time on between trains you could get off at Giggleswick and walk over to Settle.

I use a 7 Day NW Rover for a week every year and usually do the S&C route on a Sunday afternoon when the Dalesrail trains are running. Based in Preston I usually do Preston-Carlisle, Carlisle -Settle, Settle-Preston. This allows me to have wander around Carlisle and a couple of hours in Settle for fish and chips at the very good fish and chip restuarant in the market place.

Oliver

Wasn't there a plan to build a railway centre adjacent to the station? What happened to that?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Wasn't there a plan to build a railway centre adjacent to the station? What happened to that?

I think the plan was to build a steam depot and run regular charters over the S&C line. The building work started and the half-finished and rail connected shed is there to this day.

I have a vague memory that there was an accident in which a construction worker(s) was killed or seriously injured, followed by a HSE prosecution, after which the whole project seemed to stall. I can't find anything on by googling it though.

Established Member
The cafe is called the Long Drag IIRC, and it was open earlier on in the year when I was there. I think it shuts around 4pm, but not sure if it is open on a Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.