• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hello New Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawky

hello, im new to this forum but been with bve for a long time, i have had BVE4 for a long time and i also use TRS2004, i have a device called a raildriver which replaces your keyboard for handles and buttons,
i was wondering, could you use it to control bve trains, if so, how.
http://www.raildriver.com/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Hi cawky, welcome.

Unfortunately Raildriver cannot be used to control BVE trains at the moment, but no doubt there will be some compatibility in the future.

The Snap

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Hi cawky, welcome.

Unfortunately Raildriver cannot be used to control BVE trains at the moment, but no doubt there will be some compatibility in the future.

I hope that Mackoy puts in the option to use it in his latest version. If he does, I may consider buying it. :D

Mushroom

This may sound strange, but is mackoy actually making a new version. Or is everybody just guessing ther willbe a new version? :confused:

The Snap

Established Member
MancunianTrammer said:
This may sound strange, but is mackoy actually making a new version. Or is everybody just guessing ther willbe a new version? :confused:

We are not sure, but we just assume he is. :p

LondonBVE

Well all i know is that there is a high chance Mackoy going to update BVE 2.6 to BVE 3.0 since BVE 2.9 (beta) has been released long long time ago. Anyway who has BVE 2.9?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
LondonBVE said:
Well all i know is that there is a high chance Mackoy going to update BVE 2.6 to BVE 3.0 since BVE 2.9 (beta) has been released long long time ago. Anyway who has BVE 2.9?

I don't think that's very likely at all, especially with BVE 4 available ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
I don't think that's very likely at all, especially with BVE 4 available ;)

I agree!
What's the point updating old software...?

Tom B

Established Member
BVE4 is an update of BVE2.x (though a big one - and converted to VB.net from VB Classic). Though I know what you mean, BVE2 is an old program... download figures suggest BVE4 files are much more popular than BVE2. It's a bit like when everyone migrated to BVE2 from BVE1.

LondonBVE

Don't know i found some shots of BVE 2.9 which some new features really intrest me. Like they have the passenger meter and even has number. Eg. the passenger meter is full red i think the number would be 300 or so. If i'm not wrong i also saw a screenie on a person choosing a route and then they have a wide variety of choices (train) available. Is that the old version?
Here is the link : htttp://creature-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/bve/howto_drive.htm . Is it the old version?

wumpty

That looks more like a version prior to 2.6, you'd pick your route using the top left section, and details of the route would be in the bottom left and a description of the train the right.

2.9 was very similar in looks of BVE4, high res - full screen with no side panel or meters.

Simon_G

That looks like BVE2 to me LondonBVE. I can't say which version, but it's not 2.9 which was a full screen version like BVE4. Mackoy explained why he had skipped 3 when he released BVE4: it lost a lot in translation, but it was to do with the amount of rewriting between 2.9 and 4.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think that is BVE 1 actually. The interface is different to BVE 2, and I'm sure it stayed the same throught all the updates. For a start, it doesn't have "Mr Happy" and I'm sure he was on all BVE 2 versions, and it has a scrollbar on the timetable, wheras BVE 2 you had to press a certain key combination to scroll the timetable (shift/ctrl and F3 or something).

LondonBVE

I agree with all of your BVE 2.9 is a full screen. And the other one is BVE version 1.

Tom B

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
I think that is BVE 1 actually. The interface is different to BVE 2, and I'm sure it stayed the same throught all the updates. For a start, it doesn't have "Mr Happy" and I'm sure he was on all BVE 2 versions, and it has a scrollbar on the timetable, wheras BVE 2 you had to press a certain key combination to scroll the timetable (shift/ctrl and F3 or something).

Definately BVE1. There is also the choice between free mode (gawd, lucky we don't have that now!)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I i remember rightly, BVE 1 had some kind of scoring system, and would also terminate the route if you broke the rules such as passing a signal at danger or braking the line or signal speed limit (think you had a 1kph margin). Free mode turned this off, and basically made it like BVE 2 or 4, which don't havre anything like that.

Russardo

BVE 4 is most definately a succession to BVE 2.x. There are general rules which are followed by programmers when updating software. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are but from 2 to 4 will include major changes to the program. A change in number to the right of the decimal point would be minor updates and/or bug fixes. No doubt Mackoy followed these "rules" and skipped BVE 3. i.e. BVE 4 is part of the progreesion of BVE (or BVE 2) and not a different program. Therefore there will not be a new BVE 2.x.

I may be wrong but very suprised if so!

T

Tom

BVE 2.9 beta, IIRC, was quite similar to BVE4 when it came to the actual game.

Russardo

Yeah, I had a beta version of BVE before BVE 4 was released. I'm sure that beta was BVE 2.9, which like you say was very similar to BVE 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.