• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hello, newbie here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

di9girl

Hi folks, just joined :)

I've been avidly watching US and Canadian train cams for about a week now and started searching around for UK sites and info, which bought me here. There's a lot of info out there and so hoping maybe some of you can help :)

I was wondering if there's a book(s) like a checklist and/or some kind of online software (maybe an app) for UK spotting. My hunting around online has found:

Freightmaster (book and online access)
Trainspotting (app)
Trainlogger (online software)
Spotlog (app)
Locotrack (online software)

I also found the Platform 5 set of four books, 2020 release.

I am more of a bookworm, and do prefer actual books but I do want some kind of online checklist that's updated with new info and that I can tick off (well, virtually) what I see.

So, out of the software what's best? I'm thinking Trainlogger or Locotrack just from looking at their websites.

Thanks in advance,
di9girl

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87electric

Bookwise:

The four Platform 5 books get combined and released into a hardcover format in Spring 2020.

Diesel & Electric Loco Register by Andy Chard.

di9girl

Bookwise:

The four Platform 5 books get combined and released into a hardcover format in Spring 2020.

Diesel & Electric Loco Register by Andy Chard.

Will they have updated the info at all? Is it worth me waiting? The price isn't that bad actually, I've compared on a few sites and £21 (ish) is about right.

87electric

Good question, I'm not sure. Info goes out of date quickly and that is where apps can be more beneficial. I've always preferred physical media.

di9girl

Good question, I'm not sure. Info goes out of date quickly and that is where apps can be more beneficial. I've always preferred physical media.

I'm stuck between the two, I like having a book to tick stuff off (I'm a bit of a stationery geek, lol) but I also love my apps. I suppose I want the book for quick reference then the app for logging things.

87electric

That's the beauty of the hobby...………….being creative with your data. There's no right or wrong way to do it, just have fun.

Condor7

A couple of other books to try....

ST Publications. There combined volume has just been updated and at £13.50 is one of the cheapest

Rail Guide is more expensive although can be picked up reasonably cheaper at the moment as like Platform 5 books will be updated in the spring. This is slightly different as rather than list locos in numerical order, it lists the train operating companies in alphabetical order and then numerically the locos owned by that company, a system I personally prefer. It is also expensively illustrated in full colour hence the higher price.

gazthomas

Established Member
Will they have updated the info at all? Is it worth me waiting? The price isn't that bad actually, I've compared on a few sites and £21 (ish) is about right.
They provide updates monthly in the magazine Todays Railway UK

gazthomas

Established Member

Peter C

Established Member
Hi folks, just joined :)

I've been avidly watching US and Canadian train cams for about a week now and started searching around for UK sites and info, which bought me here. There's a lot of info out there and so hoping maybe some of you can help :)

I was wondering if there's a book(s) like a checklist and/or some kind of online software (maybe an app) for UK spotting. My hunting around online has found:

Freightmaster (book and online access)
Trainspotting (app)
Trainlogger (online software)
Spotlog (app)
Locotrack (online software)

I also found the Platform 5 set of four books, 2020 release.

I am more of a bookworm, and do prefer actual books but I do want some kind of online checklist that's updated with new info and that I can tick off (well, virtually) what I see.

So, out of the software what's best? I'm thinking Trainlogger or Locotrack just from looking at their websites.

Thanks in advance,
di9girl
There used to be a very good website for trainspotting called "ABRail" IIRC. Sadly, it closed down recently, though. There will be people on here, however, who can probably provide you with the data from the site in a .pdf format or similar.
I used an app called Trainspotter for sightings. It's free on the Google Play Store and it is very useful. It is updated every so often and allows you to search by Operating Company, Class, Type, etc. It's also very satisfying when you manage to see a set of sequential units and they all light up green on the list :D Furthermore, you can export the sightings from the app to a .csv file, which allows you to export them to a computer and then have a backup of them.

In terms of books, I've found that the abc Rail Guide is very useful. I haven't got a 2019 edition, and I have no clue as to when the next year's edition is published, but it is very good. The numbers are listed by operating company and then by class, with the operating companies being in alphabetical order.
The Platform 5 books are very good as well - I got the 2017 editions of the DMUs and Coaching Stock books and they were very good. They are a pocket-sized collection, meaning you could probably carry them all around in a small bag or something when going out and about, but I haven't used a trainspotting book when watching trains in ages, so I can't comment on it. The Platform 5 books are also kept up-to-date by Today's Railways magazine, also published by Platform 5, through updates about stock allocations, liveries, fleet lists, etc. However, It's probably easier to somehow photocopy/remove these update pages from the magazines and keep them in/with the books, instead of trying to write the updates in! :D

So, in my opinion:
  • Trainspotter from Google Play is the best software for phones for trainspotting.
  • abc Rail Guide is the best book for trainspotting.

Hope this helps! :D Good luck with your trainspotting - I'm happy to help with anything else you need help with.

-Peter

Also - apologies if this post appears multiple times - there seems to be something up with the forums today.

di9girl

There used to be a very good website for trainspotting called "ABRail" IIRC. Sadly, it closed down recently, though. There will be people on here, however, who can probably provide you with the data from the site in a .pdf format or similar.
I used an app called Trainspotter for sightings. It's free on the Google Play Store and it is very useful. It is updated every so often and allows you to search by Operating Company, Class, Type, etc. It's also very satisfying when you manage to see a set of sequential units and they all light up green on the list :D Furthermore, you can export the sightings from the app to a .csv file, which allows you to export them to a computer and then have a backup of them.

In terms of books, I've found that the abc Rail Guide is very useful. I haven't got a 2019 edition, and I have no clue as to when the next year's edition is published, but it is very good. The numbers are listed by operating company and then by class, with the operating companies being in alphabetical order.
The Platform 5 books are very good as well - I got the 2017 editions of the DMUs and Coaching Stock books and they were very good. They are a pocket-sized collection, meaning you could probably carry them all around in a small bag or something when going out and about, but I haven't used a trainspotting book when watching trains in ages, so I can't comment on it. The Platform 5 books are also kept up-to-date by Today's Railways magazine, also published by Platform 5, through updates about stock allocations, liveries, fleet lists, etc. However, It's probably easier to somehow photocopy/remove these update pages from the magazines and keep them in/with the books, instead of trying to write the updates in! :D

So, in my opinion:
  • Trainspotter from Google Play is the best software for phones for trainspotting.
  • abc Rail Guide is the best book for trainspotting.

Hope this helps! :D Good luck with your trainspotting - I'm happy to help with anything else you need help with.

-Peter

Also - apologies if this post appears multiple times - there seems to be something up with the forums today.

Hi Peter :)

I searched Trainspotter and it's only available for Android, I use iOS but the page recommends the Train Spotting app - apparently, both developers work together for the database.

abc Rail Guide I will search for in a mo. Does that include everything the Platform 5 books have? How do both compare to the ST Publications?

Tammie

Hi gazthomas :) I will search for that mag, thank you!

A couple of other books to try....

ST Publications. There combined volume has just been updated and at £13.50 is one of the cheapest

Rail Guide is more expensive although can be picked up reasonably cheaper at the moment as like Platform 5 books will be updated in the spring. This is slightly different as rather than list locos in numerical order, it lists the train operating companies in alphabetical order and then numerically the locos owned by that company, a system I personally prefer. It is also expensively illustrated in full colour hence the higher price.

Hi Condor7 :)

I discovered ST Publications yesterday when searching around, I actually ordered their Eddie Stobart checklist. I had no idea there was one, let alone all the lorry spotting books! I did see the rail books there. Just wondering, as I asked Peter too, how do the ST books compare to Platform 5 and Rail Guide. Do they all contain the same info? I need to learn all the terms and different, erm, classes/types (:?:) so hopefully one or all explain that too. I'm just used to seeing normal passenger trains here where I am.

Tammie

(Yes, I saw the multiple posts, must be a gremlin!)

Peter C

Established Member

I searched Trainspotter and it's only available for Android, I use iOS but the page recommends the Train Spotting app - apparently, both developers work together for the database.

abc Rail Guide I will search for in a mo. Does that include everything the Platform 5 books have? How do both compare to the ST Publications?

Tammie
Hello! :D
Oh OK - I use Android, so iOS is like a foreign language to me! If the developer is the same for Train Spotting as it is for Trainspotter, then I'd say it is worth downloading and having a butcher's! The only difference will probably be the user interface.
I've just had a very quick look at both books, and the only differences I can see are the layout. The abc Rail Guide is, in my opinion, the better book because it includes everything the Platform 5 books have and then on top it has:
  • Steam locomotives registered for use on the mainline
  • Preserved diesel locos registered for use on the mainline
  • More pictures!
  • Just number lists
  • Coach numbers, with a picture for each type of coach
  • Explanations for each unit/engine/coach
  • More information about the operating companies, e.g. Address, Directors, Franchise Dates, Main Routes, Depots, Owners
  • Diagrams of the routes each TOC operates
However, the Platform 5 books include the following and the abc Rail Guide doesn't:
  • Coupler type
  • Construction of each engine/unit/coach
  • Door type
  • Multiple Working Restrictions
  • Max. Speed
  • Braking type
  • Wheel Arrangement
So essentially, the Platform 5 books are good for technical information and the abc Rail Guide is good for information which is less detailed but still quite interesting. If you want to learn everything about every part of every unit, engine, and coach in the country, the Platform 5 books are good for you. And then the abc Rail Guide is good for you if you want number lists.

I'm not sure what "ST Publications" are (probably obvious), so I can't help there, sorry!

Hope this helps,

-Peter

di9girl

Hello! :D
Oh OK - I use Android, so iOS is like a foreign language to me! If the developer is the same for Train Spotting as it is for Trainspotter, then I'd say it is worth downloading and having a butcher's! The only difference will probably be the user interface.
I've just had a very quick look at both books, and the only differences I can see are the layout. The abc Rail Guide is, in my opinion, the better book because it includes everything the Platform 5 books have and then on top it has:
  • Steam locomotives registered for use on the mainline
  • Preserved diesel locos registered for use on the mainline
  • More pictures!
  • Just number lists
  • Coach numbers, with a picture for each type of coach
  • Explanations for each unit/engine/coach
  • More information about the operating companies, e.g. Address, Directors, Franchise Dates, Main Routes, Depots, Owners
  • Diagrams of the routes each TOC operates
However, the Platform 5 books include the following and the abc Rail Guide doesn't:
  • Coupler type
  • Construction of each engine/unit/coach
  • Door type
  • Multiple Working Restrictions
  • Max. Speed
  • Braking type
  • Wheel Arrangement
So essentially, the Platform 5 books are good for technical information and the abc Rail Guide is good for information which is less detailed but still quite interesting. If you want to learn everything about every part of every unit, engine, and coach in the country, the Platform 5 books are good for you. And then the abc Rail Guide is good for you if you want number lists.

I'm not sure what "ST Publications" are (probably obvious), so I can't help there, sorry!

Hope this helps,

-Peter

Ok here are ST Publications I believe @Condor7 was referring to the top book on that page, UK Combine 2020. I'm not too worried about the technical side of things so perhaps the abc Rail Guide will be better. Right now I just want something with a list that I can check off.

ST don't include the 'wagons' in the Combine book, they have a separate book though.

I'm going to have to learn the difference between Locomotives, Diesel Multiple Units, Electric Multiple Units, Coaches & non-passenger, Wagons. I'm sure it's quite simple and hopefully one of those books will explain. A couple of those online database and entry websites let you list some or all, others have them across three different websites. Trainlogger doesn't log coaches or wagons for instance. I think Locotrack does but I'm not sure if that site has been updated since 2018.

I'm happy to use an app on the phone but then want a backup/second so wanted something on my PC too.

Peter C

Established Member

Ok here are ST Publications I believe @Condor7 was referring to the top book on that page, UK Combine 2020. I'm not too worried about the technical side of things so perhaps the abc Rail Guide will be better. Right now I just want something with a list that I can check off.

ST don't include the 'wagons' in the Combine book, they have a separate book though.

I'm going to have to learn the difference between Locomotives, Diesel Multiple Units, Electric Multiple Units, Coaches & non-passenger, Wagons. I'm sure it's quite simple and hopefully one of those books will explain. A couple of those online database and entry websites let you list some or all, others have them across three different websites. Trainlogger doesn't log coaches or wagons for instance. I think Locotrack does but I'm not sure if that site has been updated since 2018.

I'm happy to use an app on the phone but then want a backup/second so wanted something on my PC too.
Oh OK - thanks very much. Never seen that book before! :D I'm not sure about whether any books publish full wagon number lists - there's just so many of them! :D
If you create a new thread asking about getting into trainspotting, maybe, I could help a lot there. There's a lot to cover but it looks worse than it is! There have been a lot of "updates", if you will, to the railway network since 2018, so a site which was last updated then is very much out-of-date.

Thanks,

-Peter

If you create a new thread about getting started in trainspotting, link it in your next response and I can help. Definitely. :D

di9girl

Oh OK - thanks very much. Never seen that book before! :D I'm not sure about whether any books publish full wagon number lists - there's just so many of them! :D
If you create a new thread asking about getting into trainspotting, maybe, I could help a lot there. There's a lot to cover but it looks worse than it is! There have been a lot of "updates", if you will, to the railway network since 2018, so a site which was last updated then is very much out-of-date.

Thanks,

-Peter

If you create a new thread about getting started in trainspotting, link it in your next response and I can help. Definitely. :D

Are these the current abc books? abc Rail Guide 2019 Main Line Systems, abc Rail Guide 2019 Light Rail & Heritage Railway, abc Rail Guide 2019 Locomotive Traction

Tammie

(Link to terminology thread)

Last edited:

Condor7

Hi Tammie,

I don’t think I can add much to the excellent information already given. What is unclear is how much train spotting you have actually done so far. If you are, as it seems, new to the hobby, my advice would be to stick with a good quality note book and spend a few hours at a station or line side and get used to recording what you see and that should give you a better idea of the type of book you want.

It will also help you decide just what you want to record or not record. We don’t all record everything we see. Some restrict their recordings just to locomotives, others include multiple units. Hardcore spotters record everything that moves on the railway including rolling stock and wagons, but that is a real commitment and requires usually a hand held tape recorder.

It won’t take long for you to get a feel of what suits you.

di9girl

Hi Tammie,

I don’t think I can add much to the excellent information already given. What is unclear is how much train spotting you have actually done so far. If you are, as it seems, new to the hobby, my advice would be to stick with a good quality note book and spend a few hours at a station or line side and get used to recording what you see and that should give you a better idea of the type of book you want.

It will also help you decide just what you want to record or not record. We don’t all record everything we see. Some restrict their recordings just to locomotives, others include multiple units. Hardcore spotters record everything that moves on the railway including rolling stock and wagons, but that is a real commitment and requires usually a hand held tape recorder.

It won’t take long for you to get a feel of what suits you.

I've done nothing at all, just watching the cams online so far. I think, I just want to spot the locomotives themselves. As you say, everything that moves would be a real commitment. Maybe that narrows down the book choices too! It's similar to my radio ham hobby, once I've spoken to someone in a particular country on all the bands I 'need' I usually skip over that country, I don't need to contact all the radio hams in that country.

Peter C

Established Member
I think, I just want to spot the locomotives themselves.
Just a quick note that just noting locomotives may see you not getting many "sightings" (the term for the spotting of trains), especially if everything near you is Southern. Very few locomotives operate in that area IIRC, but on a trip to, say, the ECML, you could see all sorts of engines - 91s, 43s (although no longer as of yesterday, sadly).

-Peter

Condor7

As PeterC says living in Eastbourne presents certain problems. Most passenger trains are multiple units, i.e. passenger carriages with a cab at each end, very few are pulled by locomotives. It is freight that is pulled by locomotives and there is virtually none where you live. I am not familiar with the area but I would say somewhere like Redhill would be where you would see much more freight but that is about about an hour and a half’s drive from you. Others may be able to help with somewhere nearer but I suspect they will all be a good distance away.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
There is a (daily I think) Acton - Newhaven Town Aggregates which is a freight train hauled by a large locomotive (with lots of wagons in tow) which is literally just up your street. You can go to Lewes and see it. It does a return trip the same day. It does not run weekends

Once the new Newhaven port terminal is ready (at the former Marine station), there will be more freight workings

Status
Not open for further replies.