• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help! Awfully bad framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some very odd reason, I've been getting 5fps throughout my Epping-Ongar route since yesterday. This includes heavily scenerised areas and non scenerised areas, full screen and windowed mode.

I have not added anything significant to the route, only a few odd trees and vehicles around Blake Hall- which is 6km from Epping, so it should'nt affect Epping station, yet I am getting 5fps there too.

I normally get between 15 - 25fps but why the sudden drop in frame rate is against me.

The strange thing is that the frame rate is OK on other routes.

frame1dx.jpg

459tj.jpg

Any ideas ???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich tested yesterday and he said that the framerates were acceptable.

Damon, if you want to test it, I'll be happy to send you the files.

Coxster

Established Member
EmergencyBrake said:

damon.cox [at] ntlworld.com ;)

Simon_G

Some things to consider

- are you using a different train?

- have you added any new large textures to the route?

- have you left a texture in 24-bit format?

Also, try running the route in a window and using the task manager to find the size in memory of the BVE process when running your route and others.

The Snap

Established Member
EmergencyBrake said:

I got an average of 20fps when I ran the route, which I must say is top notch! :)

Harold

Screenies look great, this is certanly a big improvement from the 1st release of the branch.

Looking forward to this one.

Simon_G said:
Some things to consider

- are you using a different train?

- have you added any new large textures to the route?

- have you left a texture in 24-bit format?

Also, try running the route in a window and using the task manager to find the size in memory of the BVE process when running your route and others.

I am using the same train ( LT1938 ), I tried changing it to a 95 stock but found no difference.

No large textures used.

Most are in 256 colours where possible but textures that loses colours severely when compressed to 256 is kepted as 24 bit.

BVE uses about 235,000 kb of RAM when its loaded with Epping-Ongar BVE 4

Problem is narrowed down to the train. When I tried Chris Roger's 1962 stock, I got 25fps, but when I changed it back to the 1938 stock, I got 5fps.

Strangely, when I run the Northern Line heritage route which uses the same stock, I for 25fps.

devon_metro

Established Member
TBH, it's better to test it with somebody who gets poor frame-rates as people with good frame-rates are not going to be affected, It's the peopl with bad f-rates that suffer!

;)

nutter

dvn1357 said:
TBH, it's better to test it with somebody who gets poor frame-rates as people with good frame-rates are not going to be affected, It's the peopl with bad f-rates that suffer!

;)

Hear hear, The best i can expect to get is 10fps, on any route, the only time i get any better is when i look into the sky using zoom (.) and '2', and then i only get 20fps

Simon_G

EmergencyBrake said:
Most are in 256 colours where possible but textures that loses colours severely when compressed to 256 is kepted as 24 bit.

BVE uses about 235,000 kb of RAM when its loaded with Epping-Ongar BVE 4
In my experience, 24-bit textures can hit the performance of a lower spec system quite hard, so it's worth trying to find a way to reduce them.

Also 235Mb does sound quite a lot for a fairly short route - in NWM, the 0940 Maybank to Wellingham only uses 175Mb and that traverses practically the whole route. Might be worth trying to track this down.

Simon_G said:
Also 235Mb does sound quite a lot for a fairly short route - in NWM, the 0940 Maybank to Wellingham only uses 175Mb and that traverses practically the whole route. Might be worth trying to track this down.

I found that its the BVE4 trains that are causing the frame rates to drop to an unacceptable number.

What could be the cause of using 353mb of memory for a 6km of route? as this is very worrying.

Simon_G

As a start, try the following:

- get rid of 24bit textures; if you really can't find a program that will reduce them neatly (IrfanView is usually pretty good), consider splitting them.

- make large textures smaller where possible: I find that reducing commonly used textures below 256 square helps my system. The difference is usually acceptable from the cab (you can keep the larger textures for screenshots :))

- make sure you aren't loading objects that are not used in the route

Hope this helps

Gareth Hale

What processors do you have running, reboot your PC? Check if your GPU fan is still working, defrag and if its still going slow after all of the checks, re-install game?

BTW, this one gets 60FPS 99% of the time if you want me to test anything.

LondonBVE

I have tested all of EmergencyBrake's route including the Greenfield Railway which the fps is from 13.5 fps to 30.5 fps (windowed mode) while 5.0 fps to 13.5 fps (full screen mode), for his Epping and Ongar railway the fps are around 30.5 fps to 40.1 fps (windowed mode) while 20.5 fps to 30.0 fps (full screen mode). I have totally no problem handling his routes but not for NWM. Strange is X-City Cross South works really well than the NWM. All along I have been playing the X-City Cross South and the NWM and found that the framerates in NWM drops a lot whenever it arrive at a station. I think it is something to do with the file format and bmp colour bits. For what i have noticed between the NWM and X-City Cross South is that the X-City Cross South uses more .x format than .csv format (this may be one of the reason behind that it runs really good).

My .Net Framework Version is : 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 (they are all together)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Computer age: 3 Years old

So I don't really find the problem. Anyway just wish him a Good Luck to his framerates.

Gareth Hale

LondonBVE said:
My .Net Framework Version is : 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 (they are all together)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Computer age: 3 Years old

So I don't really find the problem. Anyway just wish him a Good Luck to his framerates.

It could be your graphics card clock speed which slows it down a bit, it did when I owned an nVidia MX440. A good little card to be honist, it was loyal for 5 years to me!

Update: Compressing all the possible textures and reducing the dimensions did improve the framerate :) I now get between 15-30fps.

The memory useage is now 188mb (used to be 235mb), which is still quite unhealthy as my bitmaps now have a max size of 256 pixels on sides, with most at 128 pixels. Where possible, I further reduced the dimensions to 64 pixels. I could not think of any reasons why this could be... Any further suggestions?

EDIT: without loading the sounds, its 178mb

Boxcars said:
Eh? You used to have the same computer as me Lanky!

What are your specs now? :shock:

I got myself a very snazzy vaio laptop.... Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024mb memory, 256 Radeon Mobility X600 graphics card. Oh and a huuuge 17'' X-black widescreen, perfect for bve!
And yeh our other pc is the same spec as yours, i'm lucky to get over 10fps on that and totally pointless to try to run x-city south! Now as i said i can get up 2 60 fps!!

LondonBVE

Gareth Hale personally I shall say the MX/MX 400 is really good it has been with me for 3 years since I bought Window XP Home Edition. But because of technology being improved and more things needed a better graphics card I have to buy a new one. Hopefully I can find a good one like MX/MX 400.

Boxcars

lankylancaster said:
I got myself a very snazzy vaio laptop.... Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024mb memory, 256 Radeon Mobility X600 graphics card. Oh and a huuuge 17'' X-black widescreen, perfect for bve!
And yeh our other pc is the same spec as yours, i'm lucky to get over 10fps on that and totally pointless to try to run x-city south! Now as i said i can get up 2 60 fps!!

Alright, don't rub it in. :roll:

Did you say 60 fps :notworth:

Status
Not open for further replies.