• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help finding the cheapest fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam.C

Hi Guys,

Just found this fantastic forum and was hoping you could help me a little bit.

Although I know it's not a big amount, but believe me for a student it is ;) - I am looking for any way of getting my train ticket cheaper from Grimsby Town to Liverpool Lime Street with a 16-25. I currently pay £28 for a OPR.

It doesn't matter if I have to buy 100 tickets, I just want to save some pennies!

Thanks
Adam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Coming back the same day?

Without looking, I'd say you need a Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to Manchester and Manchester to Liverpool combination. Without looking this is, but that should be all Off Peak Day Returns and cost a fair bit less!

clagmonster

Established Member
Using www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com search for Grimsby Town-Liverpool in the usual way, then click on the 'Show slower routes' link on the left hand side, then choose 'Transpennine Trains only', and click search. This will give you advance singles which staart from £6.25, so £13.50 return. These are advance tickets, show you need to book a while in advance, and travel only on the services which you have a seat reservation on. You can sometimes save a pound or two more by splitting the fare in Manchester and/or Sheffield.

Adam.C

Coming back the same day?

Without looking, I'd say you need a Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to Manchester and Manchester to Liverpool combination. Without looking this is, but that should be all Off Peak Day Returns and cost a fair bit less!

Most of the time I stay overnight, but on occasions I do go for the day.

Thanks, I will take a look at them now :)

Using www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com search for Grimsby Town-Liverpool in the usual way, then click on the 'Show slower routes' link on the left hand side, then choose 'Transpennine Trains only', and click search. This will give you advance singles which staart from £6.25, so £13.50 return. These are advance tickets, show you need to book a while in advance, and travel only on the services which you have a seat reservation on. You can sometimes save a pound or two more by splitting the fare in Manchester and/or Sheffield.

Thanks :) - I usually know 2-3 weeks the actual date I will be departing so I guess that makes it easier with getting advance tickets.

EDIT: Thank you so much, you've just saved me £12 on my first journey alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clagmonster

Established Member
Sorry, Techniquest posted while I was writing. On walk up fares, a Grimsby-Nottingham day return is cheaper than a Grimsby-Sheffield day return, and is valid via Sheffield. Try getting one of these, and getting a Sheffield-Liverpool ticket, perhaps splitting in Manchester.

Jordy

Established Member
Have a look at this page, with a 16-25 you can get 50% off Advance Purchase tickets, through tickets from Grimsby to Liverpool are often not available, and the Grimsby trains connect to East Midlands Trains rather than TPE at Manchester, often you're better buying Advance to Manchester with TPE and then East Midlands Trains advance from there. Have a look at the links, from my experience it varies depending on what time you leave!

Hope this helps!

Sorry, Techniquest posted while I was writing. On walk up fares, a Grimsby-Nottingham day return is cheaper than a Grimsby-Sheffield day return, and is valid via Sheffield. Try getting one of these, and getting a Sheffield-Liverpool ticket, perhaps splitting in Manchester.

Oi, thats my trick! ;)

Jordy

Adam.C

Have a look at this page, with a 16-25 you can get 50% off Advance Purchase tickets, through tickets from Grimsby to Liverpool are often not available, and the Grimsby trains connect to East Midlands Trains rather than TPE at Manchester, often you're better buying Advance to Manchester with TPE and then East Midlands Trains advance from there. Have a look at the links, from my experience it varies depending on what time you leave!

Hope this helps!

Oi, thats my trick! ;)

Jordy
Wow, I'm amazed.. Everybody on here seems to have everything down to a T! - It doesn't really bother me what time I depart :)

Everybodies suggestions have already saved me ££'s or will have when I buy my tickets for 14th Feb.

Thank you everybody! Thank you!!!

Now I've sorted Liverpool, whats the best way to go about finding cheap tickets to London?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/train-tickets-and-rail-offers/students.htm is good but no use for through fares as the Grimsby-Manchester 'connects' with the EMT service rather than the TPE service to Liverpool, meaning no cheap TPE fares! You can split at Manchester. This ties you to specific trains though but is great at peak time if you book in advance when CDRs are not available.

The through fare Grimsby-Liverpool SVR is code 8A so is valid by any train, but at £42.40 it is not good value (unless your name is David Mapp or Andy Wakefield) so it is definitely worth looking at splitting.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow, I'm amazed.. Everybody on here seems to have everything down to a T!

Experience of this sort of thing for most of us posting in this thread :p Glad to know it's all been of help though. :D

Now I've sorted Liverpool, whats the best way to go about finding cheap tickets to London?

At a pure guess, it might be best to get Grimsby to Doncaster TPX Advance fares each way and Doncaster to London with Hull Trains. That or Grimsby to Sheffield TPX Advance singles (as usual with these, you need to stick to the trains you book on) and Sheffield to London St. Pancras EMT Advance fares. I haven't looked, so can't say for sure.

Adam.C

Experience of this sort of thing for most of us posting in this thread :p Glad to know it's all been of help though. :D

At a pure guess, it might be best to get Grimsby to Doncaster TPX Advance fares each way and Doncaster to London with Hull Trains. That or Grimsby to Sheffield TPX Advance singles (as usual with these, you need to stick to the trains you book on) and Sheffield to London St. Pancras EMT Advance fares. I haven't looked, so can't say for sure.

:)

Thanks! £2.65 each way to Sheffield then there are a couple of £6.95 each way from Sheffield.

Saving about £20! - I didn't realise I could save this amount of money, why just why didn't I think about this before! :x

Oh well - Thanks alot everybody, really is appreciated!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are travelling to London, there are quite a few options, but I'll list a few which could potentially be pretty cheap:

• As already mentioned, an advance from Grimsby-Doncaster and then from Doncaster-London can provide some very cheap options if booked well in advance and travelling off-peak. For example, travelling on certain trains, you could be looking at around £10-15 single.
  • Try a Grimsby-Nottingham ticket to Sheffield (as mentioned above) and then an advance purchase from Sheffield-London St Pancras. Beware though, journey time will be quite long via this route!
  • If going for a day, and travelling off-peak (or at weekends), you can buy tickets very cheaply on the day. You're looking at around £32 (with 16-25 discount) for off-peak day returns from Grimsby-Newark via Lincoln, and Newark-London.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
  • You're looking at around £32 (with 16-25 discount) for off-peak day returns from Grimsby-Newark via Lincoln, and Newark-London.
And if going round London, make it a travelcard for just £3.65 extra - beats Oyster PAYG as that's valid by NR, Tube, Bus, DLR in Zones 1-6 and none of the constant worrying about making sure you have "touched out". A Travelcard (ODT) from Newark is £28.40 compared to a CDR Newark-London at £24.75

Or, even better, a ticket to Netherfield (on the line between Grantham and Nottingham) is the same price as a Nottingham ticket and would be accepted via Grantham as it's not unreasonable (although not officially a permitted route). From Grantham, a ODT is only £23.50.

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
There are no TPE advance fares Grimsby-Doncaster. The shortest distance for these is Grimsby-Meadowhall, but under the conditions for advance tickets you can't end your journey early or get on after the start of your ticket. On the outward, I don't see how they could stop you just getting off at Doncaster, but returning a guard could quite easily pick you up. For Grimsby-London, I tend to find straight forward NXEC singles are best, although again when the TPE service from Grimsby connects into a Hull Trains service, you need to go through 'show slower routes' to allow you to book onto the next NXEC service.

Status
Not open for further replies.