• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help from the DWP for Jobseekers starting work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mod Note: Split from this thread.

If the OP had been registered as unemployed, the DWP would have provided funds to cover his/her travel to work for the period until the first salary is received. I wonder why the OP did not make use of such funding?

I absolutely agree, but perhaps the OP was unaware of the social help that might have avoided this matter

On the issue of help via DWP or Jobcentre there is very little available these days. The only realistic way of getting it is if the person in question is on a 'Work Trail' which is something arranged between the Jobcentre and an employer where the employer basically takes on JSA claimant for a one month and if they like them will keep them on afterwards. A claimant on a 'Work Trail' remains on their benefits and has all travel costs and a meal allowances paid for them by the Jobcentre.

Other than that the only support available is to disabled people.

There is the flexible support fund but that's mostly geared for paying for travel costs to an interview, getting suitable clothes for an interview or some very limited costs when first starting work (i.e. such as paying for safety boots or other uniform for example). It would not usually cover travel to work costs and certainly not for a very long period of time even if they did agree to pay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eeveevolve

On the issue of help via DWP or Jobcentre there is very little available these days. The only realistic way of getting it is if the person in question is on a 'Work Trail' which is something arranged between the Jobcentre and an employer where the employer basically takes on JSA claimant for a one month and if they like them will keep them on afterwards. A claimant on a 'Work Trail' remains on their benefits and has all travel costs and a meal allowances paid for them by the Jobcentre.

Other than that the only support available is to disabled people.

There is the flexible support fund but that's mostly geared for paying for travel costs to an interview, getting suitable clothes for an interview or some very limited costs when first starting work (i.e. such as paying for safety boots or other uniform for example). It would not usually cover travel to work costs and certainly not for a very long period of time even if they did agree to pay.

However I am aware that this is somewhat off-topic so if anyone is interested in discussing this further please report (
report.gif
) this post and I shall move it and the others to a new thread where we can talk about it further in a separate thread leaving this for the OP to get advice.

Otherwise let us return to the matter at hand.

I signed on for the grand total of 3 weeks nearly a year ago, and got a job in Leeds (Live in huddersfield) and wouldnt be able to afford the train fare for a month until first payday. Rang Jobcentre to sign off and enquired about a loan to get me to work. They went above and beyond a loan, asked me to go to the Jobcentre where I picked up a monthly 1-5 metrocard free of charge. :)

Nym

Established Member
I somehow get the feeling (from my time signing on in the North West) that this may well be something of an anomaly within Job Centre Plus...

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I somehow get the feeling (from my time signing on in the North West) that this may well be something of an anomaly within Job Centre Plus...
As do I; I signed on for 3 months in my gap year 3 years ago, near Liverpool, and the impression I got (from overhearing numerous conversations waiting for my advisor to see me an hour later than agreed) was that they were just itching to sanction claimants. They wanted me to attend a workshop 10 miles away but wouldn't pay for the transport to get me there. Then they wanted to sanction me :roll: Then I got a job 30 miles away from my house and the Jobcentre wasn't interested in lending me money for the train (~£30 per week). It's all about cost cutting, especially so now we have IDS at the helm.

Last edited:

Mvann

When I was out of work, when I got my job, I did manage to get some mileage money for my new job out of the job centre. Also got one food bank chitty.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I got most of the money for a weekly Stagecoach bus ticket each week when I was doing mandatory work experience. On the condition that I uh, paid it back after the work experience was done...

Pointing out that nearly 60 quid was a week's JSA got the sort of frosty response you'd expect for loudly trumping at a funeral.

TheNewNo2

In my experience, the Job Centre was utterly useless. I graduated uni in 2008, just as the economy collapsed, and was on JSA for nine months. They were no help at all, and after six months they sent me on a course about how to apply for jobs, because clearly that wouldn't have been helpful immediately.

It was my experience that if you had any education beyond GCSEs, they had no idea how to help you.

Eeveevolve

Well I must have looked good on their statistics. Only 3 weeks signing on, and got a job through no help of theirs. They spent an hour showing me how to look for jobs on the universal jobmatch site which is full of charity muggers and PPI call centre roles. All with 'meets minimum wage'...

miami

Established Member
I'm confused, the papers tell me that benefits scroungers get £50k a year AND a free house, so how can you not afford a commute? (rhetorical)

Giving loans to people about to start work seems like an obvious win - on supply of a contract with a start date and guarenteed income you can get a weeks wages upfront as a loan, paid back over the first 6 weeks - perhaps even pre-tax, It can be taken back out of the first few pay packets via their NI number.

Would impact on Wonga and other misery-brokers though.

Last edited by a moderator:

trainmania100

Established Member
I went on JSA for a short period of time and after terminating I have to pay back the JSA allowance in taxable income

NXET Trains Ltd / c2c Rail
The Franchisee shall, from the Start Date, offer to job seekers:
  • tickets to allow such job seekers to travel to and from interviews free of
    charge (subject to provision of reasonable evidence); and
  • Free season ticket lasting two months from the date that employment commences
NXET Trains Franchise Agreement, p207

This is the only scheme I am aware of that allows free travel to jobseekers/newly employed persons.

Simon11

Established Member
Yep, and c2c scheme has been running far beyond the award of the new franchise.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was made redundant a couple of years ago and claimed contribution based JSA from the Job Centre.

FCC had a scheme with my local Job Centre where they would give you a free rail ticket to travel to and from an interview. I had a few free journeys out of it! They also had a scheme where they would subsidise a season ticket for a month when you found work. I can't remember the full details but I do seem to remember thinking it seemed like a good deal.

As far as I know GTR offer no such scheme since taking over from FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.