• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help getting to Lime Street in the evening via train

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardmason

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can help.

When there is a football game on at Anfield in Liverpool I normally go via car from my home in Cheshire (takes 30minutes) but I'm currently working just outside Uttoxeter (Staffordshire) around 10minutes away from that train station. (Others near that I know of are Blythe Bride, Stafford, Stoke, Crewe).

As I finish work around 4:00-4:30pm trying to be at Anfield for around 7pm to meet friends for a 7:45pm game is proving difficult and stressful at rush hour on the A50/A500/M6/M62 so I've been trying to work out the options on the trains.

Note: Lime Street to Anfield is only 15minutes via taxi and they are regular.

From what I can see my options are as follows but hoping someone can suggest alternatives or point out the good/bad ideas.

In terms of the return anytime around 11pm or 11:30 leaving Lime Street is fine. Anything before 11pm is likely just a bit too early.

Stafford:
Drive from work to Stafford station would take around 40minutes in traffic and less chance of getting stuck that anywhere else.
Direct trains from Stafford to Lime Street at 17:23 (arrives 18:21), 17:36 (arrives 18:44) and 18:10 (arrives 19:16 which is a bit late).
This seems OK but the return journey the last train from Lime Street is 21:34 which is of no use which I think rules this out unless anyone sees an option.

Crewe:
Driving to Crewe takes around 1 hour (but potential to be held up) so I would be looking at:
17:32 direct to Lime Street - arrives 18:11
Or 17:43 (arrives 18:21) , 17:57 (arrives 18:44) or lastly the 18:32 which arrives 19:16 but slightly too late.

Return - 22:34 probably too early but the 23:34 to Crewe arriving at 00:23 works for me.

Any other options or better options for me to look at?

Thanks in advance.
Rich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
You can get the 17 bus [get a Stagecoach only Dayrider Plus, £3.90] which stops at Queen Square[2 minute walk from Lime Street Station] stops at Anfield outside the Kop saves taxi fares. If you walk to Breck Road after the game[10 minute walk], & get the 14 bus which stops on Lime Street & think is every 15 minutes [14 is a QBS Stagecoach tickets are valid on Arriva], you'd have no problem getting the 22.34 train, if you're not stopping for a pint after the game.

I would go to Crewe to be on the safe side, plus the fare will be cheaper, getting to Crewe, use the A50 to Stoke, avoid the M6 so use Northbound A500 instead, then A5020 which takes you to Crewe.

richardmason

Thanks Statto.

Crewe looks a decent option as well I think.

It looks like I can buy an off peak ticket for £10.70 and get any train there and back for the times I've listed. I'm a bit confused in that some seem to be London-Midland and some Virgin Trains - I presume an off-peak from either at that price is valid?

Looks like parking is OK there as well. If I park up around 5pm and arrive back around 00:30 at the latest I'm trying to work out does this charge as 1 off-peak day for £5? It lists:

Weekday peak: £8.50 (03:00 to 10:59)
Weekday off-peak: £5.00 (11:00 to 02:59)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Walk up tickets are, in the vast majority of cases valid on any operator, on any route that is a permitted route. Any exceptions to this will be printed on the ticket and stated at the time of purchasing.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Looks like parking is OK there as well. If I park up around 5pm and arrive back around 00:30 at the latest I'm trying to work out does this charge as 1 off-peak day for £5? It lists:

Weekday peak: £8.50 (03:00 to 10:59)
Weekday off-peak: £5.00 (11:00 to 02:59)

Going by the times you've posted, I would say yes. No idea why they charge peak fares from 03:00 though.. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.