• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help identifying cigarette cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgwwfc

hi all, wondering if anyone can shed any light on the cards attached? they were in with a larger batch of cigarrete cards I bought and I can find no evidence of anything similar online.

The backs are plain card so no identifiers there and they are pretty poorly cut so could always be DIY jobs.
interesting to see the bible verses printed too.

cheers.

Attachments

• 20210623_145244.jpg
    20210623_145244.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 93
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
If they are plain on the back I doubt that they are cigarette cards; nor any other commercial promotion (sweet packets, cereal packets, tea packets).

Given the bible quotes, perhaps they were produced by the Railway Mission or similar organisation.

rgwwfc

If they are plain on the back I doubt that they are cigarette cards; nor any other commercial promotion (sweet packets, cereal packets, tea packets).

Given the bible quotes, perhaps they were produced by the Railway Mission or similar organisation.
seems sensible, I hadn't thought of that. cheers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm fairly sure they've been a bit naughty and copied the images from cigarette cards, though - I do remember seeing more or less identical images in a card book when I was much younger than I am now.

xotGD

Established Member
The second bible quotation would be more appropriate on a photo of 50032!

leezer3

I'm fairly sure they've been a bit naughty and copied the images from cigarette cards, though - I do remember seeing more or less identical images in a card book when I was much younger than I am now.

They look like press shots to me.

Might have found their way onto another card series, but I suspect generic BR publicity images.

Veteran Member

Or possibly "rewards" for boys (sorry for sexist assumptions, but this is 1950s attending a Bible Class - a bit like the Sunday School stickers I remember.

Gloster

Established Member
Or possibly "rewards" for boys (sorry for sexist assumptions, but this is 1950s attending a Bible Class - a bit like the Sunday School stickers I remember.
Yes, I have read of something similar. A Sunday school or similar promoting attendance or good behaviour by giving out such photos at the height of the cigarette card collecting craze. The girls got something they could make up into a bracelet or similar, if they collected enough bits. (No worries about the evils of vanity and adornment there.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.