• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help in courses please

Status
Not open for further replies.

johno816

I am currently in the royal engineers for 11 years in HM forcers I am out the army come October can people please help me with courses I need to get in the rail I have 3 £2000 to spend on courses and need advice on what to do.

any information that you all can give me will help if anyone noes of any jobs going that would also help many thanks

thank you all for your time ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RBSN

I am currently in the royal engineers for 11 years in HM forcers I am out the army come October can people please help me with courses I need to get in the rail I have 3 £2000 to spend on courses and need advice on what to do.

any information that you all can give me will help if anyone noes of any jobs going that would also help many thanks

thank you all for your time ;)

Depends on what type of role you're looking for within the rail industry?

Phil.

Established Member
Hold on to your money. Whatever job you land on the railway you'll get sent on courses.

johno816

Hi thank you for replying the money is not my money it's the army's so there for I need to use it on courses and I'd love to get in the rail industry I was looking at a OLEC course witch gives me lvl2 In OLE my PTS. First aid at work is this a good course ? Would I get a job on the rail with theses qualifications. Just need as much advise as possible please

Dave999

Really depends what you want to do, safety is very important in most railway jobs so maybe a health and safety qualification such as IOSH would be of value to an employer. Once you land the job the relevant courses will be given to you.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The railways is one of those industries that you can join with very little qualifications and little to no experience.

They train you. They support you and give you the opportunities to progress further. Its more about passing the relevant application criteria and assessments than anything else.

Vocational training is usually done in house for many industries so you really can save the money and put it towards something you need to help you into civvy street. Driving lessons are a good example of where you may need a specific skill to enter the workforce. Or by the same extension, HGV/LGV courses where you need the licence before you get the job.

I think there are a few agencies you can apply to where having something like a PTS would indeed be advantageous.

BTU

Hi thank you for replying the money is not my money it's the army's so there for I need to use it on courses and I'd love to get in the rail industry I was looking at a OLEC course witch gives me lvl2 In OLE my PTS. First aid at work is this a good course ? Would I get a job on the rail with theses qualifications. Just need as much advise as possible please

First aid courses don't really count for much I've got a first aid kit in the cab and I'm not allowed to administer any first aid on the passengers for fear of being sued if I so much as give them a plaster that gives them a nasty rash I'm in the dodo as for PTS that's really for jobs where your duties require you to be on or near the line at certain points in your job ie driver or pway staff . I don't know what role you are looking for but I've found that the A1 assesors course helps they like people who can lead and also if you get in it really helps with promotions or applying for other roles that require you to lead or teach other people like DI or RM work.Also don't get to hung up on thinking because you have certain qualifications it gives you an edge , it can help but they are more interested in your life skills and being ex milatary really helps they love all those types of people I'm sure you'll have plenty of stuff to bring to the table and unfortunately with the railway the face has to fit that's what they are like so just do your home work on the TOC you want to apply for and research your job role and you will be fine. Check this website it will give you lots of handy advice traindriver.org .Good luck.

johno816

Thanks for all your help I already have all my HGV ect only thing I don't have is folk's and bike licence you all have helped me a lot thanks one more questions what's the best role to start in I like hard work and graft I don't mind doing anything for the right money and does anyone no of company's taking on atm near Sheffield? Thanks again

Phil.

Established Member
First aid courses don't really count for much I've got a first aid kit in the cab and I'm not allowed to administer any first aid on the passengers for fear of being sued if I so much as give them a plaster that gives them a nasty rash I'm in the dodo as for PTS that's really for jobs where your duties require you to be on or near the line at certain points in your job ie driver or pway staff . I don't know what role you are looking for but I've found that the A1 assesors course helps they like people who can lead and also if you get in it really helps with promotions or applying for other roles that require you to lead or teach other people like DI or RM work.Also don't get to hung up on thinking because you have certain qualifications it gives you an edge , it can help but they are more interested in your life skills and being ex milatary really helps they love all those types of people I'm sure you'll have plenty of stuff to bring to the table and unfortunately with the railway the face has to fit that's what they are like so just do your home work on the TOC you want to apply for and research your job role and you will be fine. Check this website it will give you lots of handy advice traindriver.org .Good luck.

Who told you this load of excrement?

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/dutyofcare/

Last edited:
Really? why would that be rubbish? do you work for my Toc? or is that comment based on your own limited knowledge ? if you are going to say something at least help the man out dont just write nonsense .

There have been NO successful claims against first aiders in the UK in living memory .

before anyone says 'bath half marathon' that was a suit against the uniformed side of SJA and therefore a very different duty of care was in place.

johno816

First aid is good for a CV and the knowledge of what needs to happen but I'm military I know it all already anyway I'm just after course's I should do to help me get into the rail and give me a good advantage above other people as I am military and have been since I was 16 years of age so your information helps thank you all

ComUtoR

Established Member
What you mean paper_sifts ? What is that

Back in the old days of paper and pen each application would get manually sorted and each CV/application form read individually. When you start to get bogged down with numerous applications you start to refuse some outright for the smallest of errors or anything that you didn't like.

You would be stunned by the number of mistakes and general detritus that you see on an application form.

From silly things like :

Please leave this space blank [___ok___]

To people not meeting the application criteria despite it being plastered all over the job advert.

I remember automatically binning a CV because it was on bright blue paper.

Now most are going to an online application process but even then people are still failing at the application stage. From many of the posts in this forum section it is easy to see why.

Driver vacancies are usually over subscribed so passing the initial sift is indeed a hurdle to overcome. Other jobs are less in demand so it may vary depending on role and number of applicants.

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
Really? why would that be rubbish? do you work for my Toc? or is that comment based on your own limited knowledge ? if you are going to say something at least help the man out dont just write nonsense .

Because it basically is rubbish. There have been no successful prosecutions against a first aider in this country. The rubbish about "if you treat someone and they get worse/die" is the same sort of received wisdom that goes, "if you clear ice and snow from the pavement outside your house and someone trips and injures themselves you're liable". It's nonsense, pure and simple. If it were true there would be no first aid training carried out anywhere by anyone. All train crew should receive first aid training just as airline cabin crew do. An afternoon's first aid training certainly used to be given to southern region guards when I was involved in training them during 1980-83.
I'm helping the man out by putting something factual for him, just as I pointed out that any courses that he needs to go on after securing railway employment will be carried out by and on behalf of whatever organisation that he secures employment with.
Limited knowledge? I don't think so, I have far more railway experience than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.