• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help me identify these family railway artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwfirth

Hello,

I have two artifacts from the Stockton & Darlington Railway that I need help identifying. They are a silver cup dated 1855 and a silver bowl dated 1928 both given to my great great grandparents who worked on the lines. Can anyone tell me more information about them? Were they common? What were they given for? Anything else would be appreciated!

Thanksbowl.jpg cup.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I wonder if these are long service awards or something similar. I may be off the mark and would be interested to hear more about these.

randyrippley

Established Member
The (rose?) bowl is far too late to be anything to do with the S&D
And presented "by the staff of Holgate" - note not the management. That doesn't sound like anything to do with a railway, more like a hotel and probably a gift from the staff to a leaving manager. More the kind of thing female staff would give than male

The mug looks like a typical long service / retirement gift and clearly is from the S&D

The dates mean they're clearly gifts to different people with the same surname - 70 or so years apart. Anyone know a Teeside business named Holgate?

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
The (rose?) bowl is far too late to be anything to do with the S&D
And presented "by the staff of Holgate" - note not the management. That doesn't sound like anything to do with a railway, more like a hotel and probably a gift from the staff to a leaving manager. More the kind of thing female staff would give than male

The mug looks like a typical long service / retirement gift

The dates mean they're clearly gifts to different people with the same surname - 70 or so years apart. Anyone know a Teeside business named Holgate?
Not a reference to Leeds Holgate depot?

randyrippley

Established Member
Not a reference to Leeds Holgate depot?

Do you mean York? Leeds was Holbeck. Would make sense if there was a family history of working at the NER.
Would also explain why the inscription just says "Holgate"

Marton

Holgate was the name of the former workhouse in Middlesbrough which evolved into the Middlesbrough General Hospital.

Marton

If you’re local to Middlesbrough/ Cleveland You might find something of relevance in the Teesside Archive.

alistairlees

Established Member
Hello,

I have two artifacts from the Stockton & Darlington Railway that I need help identifying. They are a silver cup dated 1855 and a silver bowl dated 1928 both given to my great great grandparents who worked on the lines. Can anyone tell me more information about them? Were they common? What were they given for? Anything else would be appreciated!

ThanksView attachment 71708 View attachment 71709
Why don't you write out the inscriptions? Then you might get more useful help.:D

alexwfirth

Hi thanks a lot. The inscriptions are as follows (as far as i can work out):

Cup: "Presented to Edward Parr, Porter on the Stockton & Darlington Railway, ?presented by the friends? in Crook, as a token of respect, 13th Jan 1855.

Bowl:"Presented to Mr J F Parr by the staff of Holgate, Sep 1928"

The family is indeed from Middlesbrough. We know Edward Parr was a porter on the railway, and this has been confirmed by census records, but J F Parr (his son) is listed as a house painter, so why would he have been given this bowl?

option

Cup: "Presented to Edward Parr, Porter on the Stockton & Darlington Railway, ?presented by the friends? in Crook, as a token of respect, 13th Jan 1855.

The family is indeed from Middlesbrough. We know Edward Parr was a porter on the railway, and this has been confirmed by census records, but J F Parr (his son) is listed as a house painter, so why would he have been given this bowl?

He may be listed in a record as a house painter, because he was at that time. It doesn't mean he was always a painter. Could easily have also been a caretaker/general maintenance person at some time.

If it is the Holgate workhouse, then it was still that in 1928
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Middlesbrough/

randyrippley

Established Member

Son or grandson? They're 73 years apart as gifts, and neither is something that would be presented to a young man. Both look like long service or retirement awards.
Have you missed a generation? This page from 1890 https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Middlesbrough/Middlesbrough90Dry
lists a John Parr as a carrier to Stockton with railway links - looks like he may have been an agent. Were there two generations named J Parr?

Status
Not open for further replies.