• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HELP! (MS Word)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Whenever I re-open a document that I have saved, it changes random lines of text to be formatted as Level 1 in the document outline for no reason, this is not auto formatting. And can be stopped by stabbing ESC when it says, "Formatting Document" after opening it...

(Word 2007)

Anyone know of a solution? MS Helpdesk are useless...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Formatting document suggests you are opening a pre 2007 file (i.e. a .doc) in Word 2007, which will convert it to .docx on opening I believe (which can then be saved as the older version again after)

Aside from that, I can't think what may be the cause at the moment but it sounds like it is converting a legacy file on opening.

Google can be quite useful...it is a lifesaver for me at work and can save hours of faffing around getting nowhere

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
2 suggestions (but that's all they are):

Try disabling macros (who knows, there might be one running unintentionally).

Try exporting the file in the oldest and/or most basic version of MS Word (or any other format) that you dare use without loosing vital elements of the document's structure and format.
Then open it in a fresh instantiation of Word (with the intention of updating to the most recent format if it looks okay)

A variation on that second method solved a similar problem with a document, it was to read the document in Open Office, correct any errors and then save it in a primitive version. When next opened in MS Word, it was fine though tables and frames needed a little tweaking.

Crossover

Established Member
Google is useless, and it's not a legacy format.

(Only comes up with removing "Auto Format")

Google is useful if you search for the right terms.

I use it all the time but if you are too vague on what something may be called, you get all sorts of random suggestions that are nothing like the problem you are trying to solve

Status
Not open for further replies.