• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help needed, Flying Scotsman .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailor

Hi to all.
Sorry if my question is in the wrong section. I am having no success in finding any information or any site that can help with my question.

I simply want to know any dates and particulary times that the Flying Scotsman will pass over Ribblehead viaduct in 2021. The more dates and times the better, any recommend site I can use if this forum is unable to help.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum.
http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/railtours
lists all planned tours. Search by 60103.
The Scotsman team do NOT release timings in advance, owing to the particular trespass issues that have arisen.
However, there are regularly used paths for steam specials over the line so you can get a rough idea.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
You can keep tabs on all of the tour promoters for dates (and the NRM page may well list some of the dates for 60103) or use Rail Advent https://www.railadvent.co.uk/steam-locomotives-on-the-mainline to keep track of everything. Times will usually be published around 4 weeks before the tour, although with COVID that may be shorter and for Scotsman that may be shorter still due to trespass and crowd issues.

On the day the tour is running, you can use https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ to track the realtime performance of the loco. You'll either need to know the headcode (if it's not obfuscated) or look up a station and find the booked timing.

At the moment there are no booked workings for 60103 over Ribblehead viaduct.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Many thanks , how do I find the headcode.
Many websites list it, it'll have 1Z followed by 2 numbers (e.g. 1Z63). When Scotsman is running with DB Cargo (UK) the headcode will probably be scrambled, so you'll have to search on Real Time Trains for a station on the route that it's booked to pass/stop at and find the schedule from the Origin/Destination locations.

Remember if you're viewing from the Lineside to make sure you're well back from the Boundary wall/fence, and make sure others do the same! If you're in a platform, keep all equipment back from the yellow line. Scotsman has a real problem with trespassers, so if the driver has any concerns they will just stop. Which will rather ruin the experience.

Veteran Member
You can keep tabs on all of the tour promoters for dates (and the NRM page may well list some of the dates for 60103) or use Rail Advent https://www.railadvent.co.uk/steam-locomotives-on-the-mainline to keep track of everything. Times will usually be published around 4 weeks before the tour, although with COVID that may be shorter and for Scotsman that may be shorter still due to trespass and crowd issues.

On the day the tour is running, you can use https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ to track the realtime performance of the loco. You'll either need to know the headcode (if it's not obfuscated) or look up a station and find the booked timing.

At the moment there are no booked workings for 60103 over Ribblehead viaduct.
July 24 and some in mid October came up when I searched RailAdvent. But that far ahead thigngs may very well change.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think that Railway Touring Company RTC, are doing some trips from Leeds on to the SCR later this year, called the Waverly, some, but not all of these are scheduled to be hauled by Flying Scotsman.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Many websites list it, it'll have 1Z followed by 2 numbers (e.g. 1Z63). When Scotsman is running with DB Cargo (UK) the headcode will probably be scrambled, so you'll have to search on Real Time Trains for a station on the route that it's booked to pass/stop at and find the schedule from the Origin/Destination locations.

Remember if you're viewing from the Lineside to make sure you're well back from the Boundary wall/fence, and make sure others do the same! If you're in a platform, keep all equipment back from the yellow line. Scotsman has a real problem with trespassers, so if the driver has any concerns they will just stop. Which will rather ruin the experience.
All good advice but I'd question the requirement to keep "well back" from fences or walls. I would suggest that it's perfectly OK to be right by the boundary, as long as you remain on the correct side of it. The attached shot shows 60103 passing recently and some are right by the fence to get their photos but are causing no problems whatsoever. "Well back" is undefinable and starts to nibble away at where people can go. Simply 'do not trespass' covers it.

115A5071a.jpeg

zwk500

Veteran Member
All good advice but I'd question the requirement to keep "well back" from fences or walls. I would suggest that it's perfectly OK to be right by the boundary, as long as you remain on the correct side of it. The attached shot shows 60103 passing recently and some are right by the fence to get their photos but are causing no problems whatsoever. "Well back" is undefinable and starts to nibble away at where people can go. Simply 'do not trespass' covers it.
The problem is it only takes 1 idiot to ruin it for everybody else, so not putting an idea into people's head is a good preventative measure. I'd consider 'well back' to be not in contact, not even a metre but just clearly not intending to get anywhere they shouldn't be.

bobby78

Just jumping on this as I have a similar question.
I understand the Flying Scotsman is leaving Edinburgh on Sunday to go to London via Preston.

How do I find out what time (aprox) it is due to leave? My friends live near the track and I want to go round to see it fly past from their garden... Would be great to have some idea as to when to go round...

HSP 2

About the only train that sort of fits your requirement is the 09:19 off Edinburgh. It sometimes looks that some steam trains are not shown as steam trains on RTT.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Just jumping on this as I have a similar question.
I understand the Flying Scotsman is leaving Edinburgh on Sunday to go to London via Preston.

How do I find out what time (aprox) it is due to leave? My friends live near the track and I want to go round to see it fly past from their garden... Would be great to have some idea as to when to go round...
Check Realtime trains for a schedule that matches the route, starting with 1Z (if it's not scrambled).

However bear in mind Scotsman times are usually not published until the night before departure to avoid trespass issues, as mentioned upthread. They won't show in the system until after midnight. You can get rought ideas of timings from the tour promoter's website, but these will be very much a "best" guess.

bobby78

Check Realtime trains for a schedule that matches the route, starting with 1Z (if it's not scrambled).

However bear in mind Scotsman times are usually not published until the night before departure to avoid trespass issues, as mentioned upthread. They won't show in the system until after midnight. You can get rought ideas of timings from the tour promoter's website, but these will be very much a "best" guess.
Thanks - tried all that but to no avail...
Will have to get up early on Sunday to check...

Sorry - me again.
Could this be the one?

Route is right. Just two things are strange. Didn't think it would stop that much and I thought it would leave earlier in the day..

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Could this be the one?

Route is right. Just two things are strange. Didn't think it would stop that much and I thought it would leave earlier in the day..
No, Flying Scotsman isn't an EMU capable of 125mph. 9M47 is an Avanti West Coast Service.

HSP 2

Try this set of times.
EDB dep. 0919, arrive Carlisle 1225 (1Z80)
Car Dep. 1240, Arrive Car, 1337 (5Z81) ECS move.
Car dep, 1409, Arrive London Paddington 2307, (1Z82) going via the S & C.

zwk500

Veteran Member
haha - can you tell I'm new to all this.. Thanks
No worries! As I said, it almost certainly won't show until Sunday morning. When it does, the Operator code will be either 'FRGT', West Coast Railways or DB Cargo. It will show a running number that starts with 1Z followed by two other numbers (although it may be scrambled, known as Obfuscated). Beware of any other operators running 1Zxx as it's a Sunday so engineering diversions may be on.

Avanti run a regular service between London and Edinburgh via Preston, although I can't remember how frequent it is on Sundays (and may be amended for engineering works), just to make it harder to spot the tour!

As a final point, steam locos almost never show that they have been timed as a Steam loco in the box on the left hand side. Instead they will usually show as a diesel loco with a heavier load than it is actually hauling.

bobby78

Thanks - let's hope it's the 09.19 departure!
Will keep an eye on it but am going to go round my friends based on that time...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks - let's hope it's the 09.19 departure!
Will keep an eye on it but am going to go round my friends based on that time...
This looks the part, 1Z80 for the first leg to Carlisle leaving 0919, and the operator is WR, (West Coast Railways):

It’s just as the earlier post #18 by @HSP 2

bobby78

It worked! Beautiful sunny morning and got really close on our friends' field...

PHOTO-2021-06-27-10-18-38.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-06-27-10-18-39.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-06-27-10-18-39.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.