Help needed with Blackpool visit

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by RailwayDan, 3 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RailwayDan

RailwayDan Member

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help!

I am travelling with my girlfriend to Blackpool from Liverpool Lime Street this Sunday, but having read various threads here, I am a bit confused.

The plan at the moment is to travel to Squires Gate from Liverpool and then return from Blackpool North at about 22.00.

However, as I've seen on here that the Blackpool Stations aren't grouped, so the option of breaking the journey short at Squires Gate doesn't appear to be an option! I hope I'm wrong, and that we don't need to buy two singles for each direction.

We both have 16-25 railcards, and are looking to leave Liverpool around 15.00 for Squires Gate, returning around 22.00 from Blackpool North.

Also if anyone has any routing suggestions or better ways of doing this then above please advise!

Thanks, Dan

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

4. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Because I didn't realise the Liverpool service stopped at Kirkham & Wesham until I just checked.

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, and not only that but when you look at the fares, it made no sense at all to buy that combination. I've removed the posts to avoid confusion.

6. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

Northern Rail staff are very sensible about this, as I've mentioned before.

Make sure you buy a return to Blackpool North or Blackpool South. They are effectively treated as unofficial 'group stations'. I reckon the reason why there is no formal grouping is due to ORCATS (with TPE on the BPN route) and for the purpose of measuring passenger numbers, particularly on the ever more popular South Fylde Line.

Blackpool South tickets are actually automatically accepted by the barriers at Blackpool North, someone has programmed them to allow it. Common sense has prevailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.