• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help please: class 25 hauled motorial on the Berks & Hants line 1975

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

I have recently acquired a David Canning photo of a pair of double headed class 25's on an express passenger service passing Midgham on the Berks & Hants line, apparently taken in August 1975. According to Mr Canning's note on the back this was a FO Newton Abbott to Dover motorail service. Unusually, although the picture was clearly taken in the late afternoon, the stock includes 3 Mark 1 sleepers! No tail of motorail flats or vans is visible in the shot, and the loco headcode appears to be 1083 although the last 2 digits are partially obscured having not rolled up fully onto the display panel of the leading engine. Unfortunately the loco numbers cannot be discerned.

Pairs of class 25's must have been pretty rare on the B&H: was this the diagrammed haulage for this train or were the pair deputising for an unavailable Western or 47? I have never come across a Newton Abbott - Dover motorail service before - is Mr Canning correct in his attribution? Can anyone throw any light or provide any more information on this service please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I have recently acquired a David Canning photo of a pair of double headed class 25's on an express passenger service passing Midgham on the Berks & Hants line, apparently taken in August 1975. According to Mr Canning's note on the back this was a FO Newton Abbott to Dover motorail service. Unusually, although the picture was clearly taken in the late afternoon, the stock includes 3 Mark 1 sleepers! No tail of motorail flats or vans is visible in the shot, and the loco headcode appears to be 1083 although the last 2 digits are partially obscured having not rolled up fully onto the display panel of the leading engine. Unfortunately the loco numbers cannot be discerned.

Pairs of class 25's must have been pretty rare on the B&H: was this the diagrammed haulage for this train or were the pair deputising for an unavailable Western or 47? I have never come across a Newton Abbott - Dover motorail service before - is Mr Canning correct in his attribution? Can anyone throw any light or provide any more information on this service please?
Cannot answet the question directly, but some 25s were allocated in the West Country during the mid 1970s or early 1980s.

Czesziafan

Cannot answet the question directly, but some 25s were allocated in the West Country during the mid 1970s or early 1980s.

The sleepers in the rake of stock are puzzling: I would not have thought it would take half a day and all night to get from Newton Abbott to Dover!

bluenoxid

Established Member

Timetable 30 suggests a FO 1540 from Newton Abbott to Dover, which arrived late evening then operated back at 2300.

Czesziafan

Timetable 30 suggests a FO 1540 from Newton Abbott to Dover, which arrived late evening then operated back at 2300.

That's very interesting thanks. So the sleepers were on the down working to St Austell, and would have been empty/locked during the daytime up journey. I can't imagine it was a particularly popular service given the times at Dover: if the motorist was using a continental motorail service on the other side of the channel there would be a considerable wait as all southbound departures were in the early evening, with northbound arrivals in the morning.

Taunton

Established Member
Presumably this is the D. E. Canning whose photographs long appeared in Ian Allan magazines, who I think was a signalman at Newbury, and would have a bit of an idea of anything unusual coming.

Motorail services ran on odd days which interleaved, they had their own stock and moved it round the country as required on their own trains, so sticking a few sleepers ecs on a day service between two Motorail hubs, which both Newton and Dover were, would seem straightforward, having maybe worked south on the Stirling-Newton overnight, and needed next night on Dover-Stirling.

1975 was when the WR was rather short of power, last Westerns were going, HSTs not arrived yet, so putting 2x25 (recently arrived) on a less time critical service was just like the old 1960s days on summer Saturdays when the Laira foreman, having used the D600s, pulled out two D6300 in multiple from the back road and hid while the clerk told the reporting crew for a Birmingham relief what awaited them. Time was when a Hymek could have handled the Motorail on its own no problem, but Marylebone Road HQ decided they didn't want hydraulics.

CW2

Established Member
I would have been a trainspotter at Reading back then,and can confirm that 25s - either singly or in pairs - were quite rare. I don't recall ever seeing one on passenger at Reading, only seeing them on freights from Washwood Heath or other distant exotic places. I did see them working Exeter - Barnstable though. I've no recollection of the Motorail service to Dover.

Veteran Member
Looking at the site linked above, it only ran for a couple of seasons - I hadn't realised it existed, either!

I would have been a trainspotter at Reading back then,and can confirm that 25s - either singly or in pairs - were quite rare. I don't recall ever seeing one on passenger at Reading, only seeing them on freights from Washwood Heath or other distant exotic places. I did see them working Exeter - Barnstable though. I've no recollection of the Motorail service to Dover.

Czesziafan

Washwood Heath - exotic beyond imagination!

Status
Not open for further replies.