• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help please-- Marylebone st War Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

I saw an article about war memorials at stations and there is a support charity
I sent them an e mail about the one in the ticket hall at Marylebone I thought I remembered it as on the wall to the left of the ticket windows
The society say the have enquired at the railway heritage trust and spoken to Adrian Shooter and no one remembers it
They even sent me a still from Hard days Night film of the ticket office with no war memorial..Anyone remember it or am I going slightly mad
I thought it was to WW1 staff and was put up by Great Central

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

I saw an article about war memorials at stations and there is a support charity
I sent them an e mail about the one in the ticket hall at Marylebone I thought I remembered it as on the wall to the left of the ticket windows
The society say the have enquired at the railway heritage trust and spoken to Adrian Shooter and no one remembers it
They even sent me a still from Hard days Night film of the ticket office with no war memorial..Anyone remember it or am I going slightly mad
I thought it was to WW1 staff and was put up by Great Central

The Great Central Society reports it has disappeared without trace. This could of course have happened at almost any time as refurbishments/alterations of any sort are notorious for items being removed for later replacement then the items getting lost.

colchesterken

DVD-- thank you for looking that up..it is not the memorial I was ewffering to the one I remember had a full list of staff killed
the plaque you posted is on the Hard Days night Picture
John-- thanks anyone else help
The Railway Heritage trust have drawn a blank

AlexS

Established Member
It is entirely possible, I suppose, that it is sat in some dark storeroom somewhere, having been put to one side for safe keeping - whether it will ever be seen again who knows! Presumably it disappeared when Network South East refurbished Marylebone. Knowing some of the bizarre stuff that is in storage in various places, I don't think it's impossible that it will reappear when someone has a tidy up.

John55

DVD-- thank you for looking that up..it is not the memorial I was ewffering to the one I remember had a full list of staff killed
the plaque you posted is on the Hard Days night Picture
John-- thanks anyone else help
The Railway Heritage trust have drawn a blank

Can you remember how long ago you last saw the plaque or roll of honour. The one at Marylebone was presumably a relatively small affair for local staff as the GCR memorial is in Sheffield.

colchesterken

I was a commuter 1979 to 1988 someone said it may have been lost when network south east refurbed Marylebone when I first used it it was like steam days in fact they used it for filming
I think the one DVD showes in his referal must be a replacment for the original. it did have all the names on it
Could the one at Sheffield be the same one that was moved north?
It was not small about 10 feet high with a statue and all the names
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
found a referance to it
confirming its loss
anyone know where it went.surely no one would scrap an original 1920 war memorial
www.waymarkings.com_great_central_marlebone_station

John Webb

Established Member
The link in your last post appears to be faulty - only takes me to a fault page!
Regards,
John Webb

John55

I was a commuter 1979 to 1988 someone said it may have been lost when network south east refurbed Marylebone when I first used it it was like steam days in fact they used it for filming
I think the one DVD showes in his referal must be a replacment for the original. it did have all the names on it
Could the one at Sheffield be the same one that was moved north?
It was not small about 10 feet high with a statue and all the names
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
found a referance to it
confirming its loss
anyone know where it went.surely no one would scrap an original 1920 war memorial
www.waymarkings.com_great_central_marlebone_station

This is the Sheffield memorial.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/873231

It was first built in the early 20's and has stayed at or close to Sheffield Victoria since it was dedicated in 1922.

Status
Not open for further replies.