• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldgrun

My first posting here, although I have been a long time watcher of this forum.
As a former booking clerk I know a lot about ticketing, but after being asked a question in my local last night, I realised how things had moved on in the last few years.
I was asked if I knew of the cheapest return ticket from Stoke-on-Trent to Shrewsbury, the name Saver was being put forward, but I was able to provide the new name of Off Peak Return. So that is what is being obtained for this afternoon.
I thought that this morning I would try to find if there were any ways to reduce the cost of travel, something which seems to be easiler said than done! After feeling like I was swimming through glue on the National Rail site, I thought is there is any way I can access an on line fare manuel can anyone please advise. Or provide details of spilts or booking to different destinations to provide cheaper fares.

Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hi Waldgrun

As you probably know only to well, the ways that can be found to reduce travel costs will normally depend on the needs of the customer. For instance, are they flexible with times and dates of travel? Is it important to them to get a through train, or with the fewest amount of changes? Would they prefer a faster journey? Or would they be happy to take a slower route?

It's also helpful to know dates, whether railcards are held, how many people are travelling and such like. Otherwise only the most basic general advice can be offered!

In the first instance, I would suggest looking at splits along the route. But remember, it doesn't always save money!

SS4

Established Member
My first posting here, although I have been a long time watcher of this forum.
As a former booking clerk I know a lot about ticketing, but after being asked a question in my local last night, I realised how things had moved on in the last few years.
I was asked if I knew of the cheapest return ticket from Stoke-on-Trent to Shrewsbury, the name Saver was being put forward, but I was able to provide the new name of Off Peak Return. So that is what is being obtained for this afternoon.
I thought that this morning I would try to find if there were any ways to reduce the cost of travel, something which seems to be easier said than done! After feeling like I was swimming through glue on the National Rail site, I thought is there is any way I can access an on line fare manual can anyone please advise. Or provide details of spilts or booking to different destinations to provide cheaper fares.

Many Thanks.

Splitting (see condition 19 of the COC)
-- Buy two tickets which cover the journey, the train must call at the station you split at.

Routeing Guide Anomalies
http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-settlement-plan/routeing-guide
Learn the Routeing guide and check for anomalies. Be aware that making loopholes public is likely to lead to their fast removal.

Sometimes TOC-Only tickets are available too. Eg: Stoke - Manchester VT only is cheaper than Any Permitted.

I believe some people are working on a program but I wouldn't expect it to be available for a while if at all.

===========================

Most of the time advance tickets are better than splitting if you're able to be tied to a specific train

Stoke to Shrewsbury is £16.20 SVR (saver return) but I've not found any decent splits better than this (Wolverhampton would be the obvious place to split)

Splitting at Wolverhampton doesn't save any money, even on day returns

tony_mac

Established Member
Hello!

If you are using the National Rail website to look for fares, then it is something of a cumbersome nuisance!
Maybe something like http://www.londonmidland.com would be easier to use, as you can usually see all the possible fares on one screen (although the layout is more complicated).

mikeg

Established Member
I thought is there is any way I can access an on line fare manuel can anyone please advise.

Unfortunately the National Fares Manual is not available online, but on CD. http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&DI=631639
You can purchase it using the above link. It is typically released three times a year. It only officially works on Windows, but I find it works perfectly on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X using a program called WINE. Same should be true for any UNIX/Unix-like system.

It gives details of (almost) all of the restrictions associated with tickets and all of the ticket types available for a given journey, minus temporary special offers and rovers.

Waldgrun

Thanks to you all.
Tony-Mac the London Midland sight works well reminds me of STARS.
Found it pretty easy to work.
Greenback he's a student so I think saving money to have a beer is important!
Also am I right in thinking that no advance fare fares are available for this journey, as I always used to reckon that advances where available for journeys over 150 Miles. (I know that this isn't true for south of the Thames TOCS now).
I have used the London Midland site putting dates in November, trying to find advance fares, with no luck. Hence my thoughts!
As I said today he's coming back using an off peak return, so I am trying to find information that he can use in the future, hence my request as to if there is something like the NFM, which I can access on line, and am well aware that planning a trip by rail these days requires, Name, address , hat size, inside leg measurement and a visit from the Spanish Inquisition:p Glad I am out of it, it was no fun trying to explain to someone, that just because they are told that cheap advance tickets exist, it doesn't mean that they are available, or believing the advertisement stating if you book your ticket in advance it will be cheaper, and then trying to buy tickets for very local journeys. and getting very upset when told that such fare where not available.!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also am I right in thinking that no advance fare fares are available for this journey, as I always used to reckon that advances where available for journeys over 150 Miles. (I know that this isn't true for south of the Thames TOCS now).

Advance fares generally give the fare-setting TOC the majority of ORCATS revenue (barring a few exceptions) so can be favoured by some TOCs even on a number of short-distance flows, such as Leicester-Birmingham New Street (40 miles). There is now very little rule as to which flow has Advance fares. Their relative inflexibility can also help TOCs manage passenger flows to some extent.

I have used the London Midland site putting dates in November, trying to find advance fares, with no luck. Hence my thoughts!

The Booking Horizon page details how far in advance Advance fares are selling at any one time.

The only fares available between Stoke-on-Trent and Shrewsbury are walk-on fares (flexible) and routed Any Permitted. There is no Advance fare on sale for this flow.

As I said today he's coming back using an off peak return, so I am trying to find information that he can use in the future, hence my request as to if there is something like the NFM, which I can access on line,

The Off-Peak Return costs £10.70 with a railcard. If he doesn't have one then he should as it will pay for itself after a few similar journeys.

The restriction code for this ticket is 2V. The full text of this restriction is here.

I consider this a reasonable fare for travelling after 0930. I doubt that you could do much better than splitting tbh.

Travelling before 0930 and returning another day there are better tickets to get than paying for two Anytime Day Singles.

or believing the advertisement stating if you book your ticket in advance it will be cheaper, and then trying to buy tickets for very local journeys. and getting very upset when told that such fare where not available.!

Some of the adverts can be very misleading. My favourite is the company that refers to travellers, ie. potential customers, as sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.