• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help re 50% Discout for blind people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigVince76

I read in another thread that certain tickets were 50% reduced if you are blind and travelling with someone. Well I am so this is very interesting news to me. I am having trouble finding out which is the best ticket for a journey though. I want to go from Stoke on Trent to Manchester tomorrow (Saturday). Now normally I get the Virgin trains only day return with my Disabled railcard but is there a better option for us using the 50% deal? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
The scheme is available for anyone registered as blind or visually impaired and travelling with a companion. No Railcard is required. There is no concession if travelling alone.

The blind or visually impaired person must have documentary proof of their visual impairment with them when they are travelling. They must show a document from a recognised institution such as Social Services, The Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) or St Dunstans. Acceptable documentary evidence includes: CVI (Certificate of Visual Impairment); BD8 certificate for being blind or partially-sighted.

The discount applies to both the blind or visually impaired person and their companion. It applies to First Class and Standard accommodation. It is:
  • 34% discount on Anytime Singles (FOS/SOS), Anytime Returns (FOR/SOR) and Anytime Day Singles (FDS/SDS)
  • 50% discount on Anytime Day Returns (FDR/SDR).

BigVince76

Thanks for that John @ home. Do you know if the SDR you mention is the £15ish ticket the NR website gives you, it just says it's any time day return, is that the same thing? Also would this qualify for use with Virgin in first class, I read somewhere that standard anytime tickets get you into first on weekends. Seems to good to be true so can anybody clarify for me?

SS4

Established Member
Thanks for that John @ home. Do you know if the SDR you mention is the £15ish ticket the NR website gives you, it just says it's any time day return, is that the same thing?

Yes. SDR is the code for "Standard Day Return" which became Anytime Day Return after "simplification".

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, an Anytime Day Return is not allowed in First. Only Anytime tickets are allowed.

According to Avantix etc.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, an Anytime Day Return is not allowed in First. Only Anytime tickets are allowed.

But surely an anytime day ticket is still an anytime ticket, just only valid for one day.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
But surely an anytime day ticket is still an anytime ticket, just only valid for one day.

That is a valid argument for a different thread! The argument being that they are the same type of ticket - yes and no in my view.

Avantix does not mention Anytime Day tickets as being valid, so err with caution etc.

TUC

Established Member

John @ home

Established Member
Do you know if the SDR you mention is the £15ish ticket the NR website gives you, it just says it's any time day return, is that the same thing?

The undiscounted Stoke-on-Trent - Manchester tickets I can see are:
route Any Permitted
Anytime Day Return (SDR) £15.10
Off-Peak Return (SVR) £14.00 (Validity code 2V)
Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) £12.90 (Validity code BX)
Anytime Day Single (SDS) £12.80

route Virgin Trains Only
Anytime Return (SOR) £11.00
Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) £9.40 (Validity code BX)
Anytime Day Single (SDS) £9.00
I would expect the discounts I have listed in post #2 to apply to all these fares.
Also would this qualify for use with Virgin in first class, I read somewhere that standard anytime tickets get you into first on weekends. Seems to good to be true so can anybody clarify for me?
The rules on Virgin Trains Weekend Upgrade include:
Ticket Types that can be upgraded prior to travel
Anytime Day, Off-Peak, Off-Peak Day, Super Off-Peak, One Day Travelcard. All other ticket types can be upgraded on-board, subject to availability. ...

Standard Class Anytime Return/Single
Customers travelling using this product on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday can upgrade to First Class on Virgin Trains services FREE OF CHARGE.
The fact that Anytime Day tickets appear in a separate section from Anytime tickets suggests to me that it is only holders of Anytime Returns/Singles (SOR/SOS) who have a right to a free upgrade. A more liberal interpretation by some Virgin staff has been reported on this forum.

BigVince76

Thanks again all, I think a quiet word with the guard on boarding is the the way to go. No big deal if he says no, it's only 45 minutes!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That is a valid argument for a different thread! The argument being that they are the same type of ticket - yes and no in my view.

Avantix does not mention Anytime Day tickets as being valid, so err with caution etc.

The National Rail site clearly states that the 50% discount is available for FirstCclass Anytime Day Returns http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passe...passengers/discount_no_disabled_railcard.html

I wasn't referring to the discount. I was referring to their validity in VT First Class at the weekend.

tony_mac

Established Member
I would love to see a written explanation that, for example, an Anytime Day Single is not an Anytime ticket. But it is still a Day ticket, and a Single ticket.

The last time I upgraded on an Anytime return the train manager just seemed pleased that I had even asked him before heading off to first!

island

Veteran Member

Avantix is not public and as such is not enforceable. The question is more "would a reasonable person think that an anytime day ticket is an anytime ticket?"

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Anytime Day tickets are of course "Anytime" type tickets, by definition.

Anytime Day tickets are not the same as Anytime tickets. Try using an Anytime Day 26 days after it's expired using the excuse "it's an Anytime ticket guv so it's valid for a month" and see where it might lead!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anytime Day tickets are of course "Anytime" type tickets, by definition.

Anytime Day tickets are not the same as Anytime tickets. Try using an Anytime Day 26 days after it's expired using the excuse "it's an Anytime ticket guv so it's valid for a month" and see where it might lead!
But surely the only difference between Anytime and Anytime Day should be that a Day ticket is only valid for one day?

In fact, let's simplify the question ;)

What's the difference between an Anytime Single and an Anytime Day Single? (you can't use the argument you just used above as they are both valid for one day!)

BigVince76

Well I ended up getting the Virgin trains only any time return using my railcard. I could not find the guard to ask and the trains were not busy so we just stayed in Standard. Is it a requirement to ask the guard before sitting in first or is it just good manners?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is it a requirement to ask the guard before sitting in first or is it just good manners?

No, it is not a requirement to seek out the guard with an Anytime ticket as they don't need to do anything with it apart from inviting you into First Class.

On other tickets where a supplement/excess is payable then I would recommend seeking out the guard first unless instructed to take a seat in First Class first, such as onboard SWT services.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Well I ended up getting the Virgin trains only any time return using my railcard. I could not find the guard to ask and the trains were not busy so we just stayed in Standard. Is it a requirement to ask the guard before sitting in first or is it just good manners?

You don't need to ask the guard at all. Just sit in one of the First Class coaches, if there is room (there usually is!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What's the difference between an Anytime Single and an Anytime Day Single? (you can't use the argument you just used above as they are both valid for one day!)

Quite often, price! (Though I understand the argument being made)

And on the WCML, who might set the fare... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.